Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#%$% Column Lock Bypass...I'm selling!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
ZMX
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't OP just tune out the speed lock and then just throw away the column lock mechanism?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:06 PM
ladamas
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to followup on my previous post regarding problems I seem to be having with the LMC5. Richard of Compliance Parts is really on top of this and is doing everything possible to help me. He is great to deal with.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
theheat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '14, '17

Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default The ones that keep you up at night !

Originally Posted by gixxer05
Wow, I should have posted my angry post sooner. There's a lot of great information here. Thanks.
This is a problem that at least 50% of forum members have fought with and won. But I'd never sell it. You have an investment in it, you have tried and just can't find the right solution, but you will. And once in and the damn thing isn't making you crazy, and you have three or four months of blissful operation you'll slowly forget about the trials and tribulations of the 'famous Column lock fiasco'[
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,428 Likes on 14,044 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

First I've heard of the LMC5 - while my car will not have the column lock problem, will have to read up on this device.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMX
Couldn't OP just tune out the speed lock and then just throw away the column lock mechanism?
No! The "column lock mechanism" (be it a CLB or this LMC5 which I've never heard of before) will prevent the column from locking, but the 2mph needs to be changed (set to 255 mph) as well... The whole 2mph thing is one of the "GM fixes"...

OP, if you have installed some type of device (CLB or this LMC5 - if it does the same thing as a CLB), but have also had a dealership do the "GM fix", then that is why you are having the 2mph issue. This 2mph was set by one of the "recall" fixes, not as part of the original C5 software. With one of the aftermarket anit-lock devices, and if you have a tuner (or a friend with HP Tuners) change the fuel cut off to 255mph, you are DONE!!!

You may get the message on the DIC, but it will not cause any driving issues!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
whowon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Add me to the list of very satisfied LMC5 customers! My problem arose Sunday, ordered the part Sunday night, had the LMC5 today. I installed it tonight and cleared up the problem.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I'm neither challenging nor supporting the claims of the LMC5 provider but their advertising claims otherwise. Read their description here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-products.html
Well, based on their description, it must do something somewhat differently that the "old CLB". I thought the CLB would do what they claim when I installed it. However, when my battery was about four years old, and I guess in need of replacement (it started the car just fine but the voltage was a tad low at 12.3v), I got the error message and the 2mph cut off. That's when I found out that the GM recall had set the cut off setting. Once that was set to 255mph, I drove the car home, replaced the battery, and haven't seen the message since.

Anyway, if this LMC5 does what they say, that's great! I'd be interested to see how it handles a battery that is less than the "normal" 12.5v (measured with the battery still connected...).

Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by roscoe118
Well, based on their description, it must do something somewhat differently that the "old CLB". I thought the CLB would do what they claim when I installed it. However, when my battery was about four years old, and I guess in need of replacement (it started the car just fine but the voltage was a tad low at 12.3v), I got the error message and the 2mph cut off. That's when I found out that the GM recall had set the cut off setting. Once that was set to 255mph, I drove the car home, replaced the battery, and haven't seen the message since.

Anyway, if this LMC5 does what they say, that's great! I'd be interested to see how it handles a battery that is less than the "normal" 12.5v (measured with the battery still connected...).

I copied this from their website.

The LMC5 has been designed and tested to work with system voltages below 4 volts. It has been designed and tested to reliably output the proper signals even with the battery too low to start the car, and to continue working through recharging or installation of a new battery. The LMC5 has been designed to be self-resetting, so that if any highly unusual circumstance (i.e., temporary BCM fault) should occur that would result in a Pull key, Wait 10 seconds message, the LMC5 will reset and automatically resynchronize with the BCM upon removal of the ignition key. Even if a BCM or other temporary fault causes a Service Column Lock message, the LMC5 will still reset upon ignition key removal, but it may be necessary to disconnect the negative battery cable or pull fuses to reset the vehicle computers.

I believe the LMC5 does what they claim and is a very good fix, as long as it is working properly. When you have hundreds of electronic components, you will have failures. If your LMC5 happens to be one of them, your problems will return. That is why I'm having my car reprogrammed to do away with the 2 mph fuel shut off. With that done the worse that will happen is I get the annoying messages but I can still drive the car.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Suthunman
I copied this from their website.

The LMC5 has been designed and tested to work with system voltages below 4 volts. It has been designed and tested to reliably output the proper signals even with the battery too low to start the car, and to continue working through recharging or installation of a new battery. The LMC5 has been designed to be self-resetting, so that if any highly unusual circumstance (i.e., temporary BCM fault) should occur that would result in a Pull key, Wait 10 seconds message, the LMC5 will reset and automatically resynchronize with the BCM upon removal of the ignition key. Even if a BCM or other temporary fault causes a Service Column Lock message, the LMC5 will still reset upon ignition key removal, but it may be necessary to disconnect the negative battery cable or pull fuses to reset the vehicle computers.

I believe the LMC5 does what they claim and is a very good fix, as long as it is working properly. When you have hundreds of electronic components, you will have failures. If your LMC5 happens to be one of them, your problems will return. That is why I'm having my car reprogrammed to do away with the 2 mph fuel shut off. With that done the worse that will happen is I get the annoying messages but I can still drive the car.
I actually typed my last post before reading their website. After reading it, I really like the way they did it. Having the LMC5 local to the BCM will definitely make it more robust. I wish the original CLBs had been done this way. I believe this is a much better methodology, but am not going to remove my existing CLB (which is working fine), at this point since I've already reprogrammed the fuel cut off speed.

You are wise in having yours reprogrammed, as you mention, since the LMC5 does not change that, and in the rare instance that it may fail, you'll not be stranded...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
gixxer05
Racer

Still waiting for my LMC5 to arrive in the mail. Is there anyone on the forum who has a tuner who lives close to Southern MD that's willing to remove the 2mph setting from my car?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 AM
softtailrider
Instructor

Don't sell car! Buy the LMC5. My car did the same column lock, pull key message. I ordered the part, had it expressed mailed. The company "compliance parts" are awesome. Great customer service and worth every cent! It fixed my issues in 20 minutes.THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF C5 CORVETTES W/MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS, ONES THAT HAVE THE LMC5, AND THE ONES THAT ARE GOING TO NEED IT! Best $39.00 I spent on my corvette
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by roscoe118
With one of the aftermarket anit-lock devices, and if you have a tuner (or a friend with HP Tuners) change the fuel cut off to 255mph, you are DONE!!!
I just found my excuse for taking a drive up to the new/temp LG Motorsports shop. My car had the recall fix done to it by the original owner so I need to get this restriction removed. The LMC5 unit is on next month's budget so I can have it fixed before I head out on my 1000+ mile drive to Phoenix at the end of the summer.

Just about the only thing my local dealer's service manager has been good for since buying my coupe was to supply me with a complete history of my car.

Quick Reply: #%$% Column Lock Bypass...I'm selling!!