Sponsored by:

Help - Z06 Wont run

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 AM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Help - Z06 Wont run

2002 Z06 with 85K mi. Stock besides coolant bypass and ziptie intake mod.

Today while driving I pulled up to a light and noticed that my engine RPM's begin dropping and sputtering between roughly 400-800 RPM's. Within another 10-15 seconds, the car died. I attempted to re-crank it and the engine would crank but the car would not idle. After a few more seconds, the car would die. Battery is showing to have volts and sounded to have plenty of juice when trying to crank the car. I tried to crank it a few more times and it was reluctant to start. It eventually did start for a brief moment and would sputter then die. Trying to give it some gas after it cranked did nothing and would not get the RPM's up what so ever.

I did a visual inspection of everything. Battery terminals are good and no loose spark plug wires. I took off the air box and checked the function of the throttle body and made sure there was nothing blocking the intake. The car felt as if it didn't have fuel. My range is still showing 77 miles which seems about right considering I just got fuel a couple of days ago.

I didn't notice any check engine lights so I don't think it's throwing a code which leads me to believe its not any thing ignition related. I did notice that I did not hear the fuel pump surging as you typically would when turning the key to the on position. I hear something clicking as the fuel pump usually does but it doesn't sound as if its sending any fuel through the lines like you usually hear.

So needles to say, I had the car towed to a friends house, 65 miles from where I was stranded at. Insurance is supposed to pick up that bill thankfully. I'm wondering if my assumptions about the fuel pump sound likely or if there is anything else that would cause these symptoms. I have heard of dealerships charging insane amounts to do a fuel pump since I believe it's in the fuel tank but anyone know what a reasonable cost would be?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:06 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Maybe you broke a valve spring.
Its a common problem for are 02 Zo6's.

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 AM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
Maybe you broke a valve spring.
Its a common problem for are 02 Zo6's.
Don't know how likely that is considering I wasn't driving the car hard at the time it started acting up... I was coming to an idle at a light. Guess I'm not ruling anything out at this point tho. Maybe some more will chime in.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Do a search about the Zo6 breaking valve springs. A few guys were idling or just cruising down town when they broke a spring. Its just a defective spring that causes it. The symptoms were similar to yours. I never experienced it because I changed my spring as a precaution. Some people even dropped a valve when the spring broke. Hopefully its just something simple and easy to fix.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 AM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Do a search about the Zo6 breaking valve springs. A few guys were idling or just cruising down town when they broke a spring. Its just a defective spring that causes it. The symptoms were similar to yours. I never experienced it because I changed my spring as a precaution. Some people even dropped a valve when the spring broke. Hopefully its just something simple and easy to fix.
Considering the car has 86K mi, isn't it likely it would have failed sooner if it was a defective spring?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Sooner or later. Its easy to check if its a spring, just pull the valve covers and look at the springs. Then you can eliminate that part of your diagnostic. Check for any codes as the first part of checking things out.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 AM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Sooner or later. Its easy to check if its a spring, just pull the valve covers and look at the springs. Then you can eliminate that part of your diagnostic. Check for any codes as the first part of checking things out.
Roger that. I was supposed to take the car in Friday for a clutch install. So hopefully I can just have it towed to the shop and have them diagnose it there if I can't figure it out.

If I dropped a valve, might as well do a cam swap while I'm in there.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

I hope you didnt drop a valve, it can cause a lot of damage. I think if you did you would hear it making noise. You might let the shop know about the valve spring issue with these Zo6's. Hopefully its the fuel pump! Good luck!

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 03-27-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you in the habit of running your fuel level that low? How certain are you that you actually had "77 miles" of fuel available to use? If I'm not mistaken, that reading is an average not an absolute.

Fill up your tank(s) and hope a low fuel level is the issue.

The electric fuel pump needs fuel to keep cool. If you drop the fuel level beyond a certain level the pump will run hot. Do that enough times and you risk the chance of burning up the pump.

Your fuel filter/pump is inside your fuel tank (I think that's correct with an '02). It's supposed to be good for 100k miles. That also is not an absolute if crud/contaminants in the bottom of your tanks is being sucked up due to low fuel level.

Another thing to consider is you have two tanks in your car with a transfer tube between. There's a separate pump to transfer fuel from one side to the other. There is a chance of a failure there preventing fuel from being transferred from one side to the other.

Use search or search this forum (in the red banner) in C5 Tech. Use keywords "fuel pump transfer tube failure". There are many threads on that topic.

Here's just one...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...m-failure.html

Last edited by hotwheels57; 03-27-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure the estimated range was pretty accurate based on how much gas I had put in the car just a couple days prior. I have run the car with the low fuel reading coming up on several occasion.
I will look into those threads.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Throttle position sensor ???
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

The first thing I would do is check that it is getting gas, Turn on the key and see if you have pressure at the schreader valve on the fuel rail, It sounds like it isn't getting gas.
Mr.Bill
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Good idea Mr. Bill!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

I did check the valve on the fuel rail and it does appear to have pressure... Not sure it this totally rules out the fuel pump or not.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a fuel pump to me.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 PM
crainholio
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a $20 fuel pressure gauge from the parts store and get a measurement during initial key-on and while cranking. Should show 55psi to 60psi.

Valvespring theories posted above are highly unlikely, unless you're willing to believe that all 16 of them failed simultaneously.

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Z06 Wont run

Quick Reply: Help - Z06 Wont run