Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 options that are a deal killer ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 AM
boltnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 options that are a deal killer ?

There are no doubt a few options they are able to come with that I don't even know about. But help me out here on my first C5. I'm looking at 00's right now and started wondering of there is an option or two that are simply deal killers and no one in the right mind would buy one with out.

What are the big three ?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't think of any deal breaker options since all C5's came well equipped. For me, a definite deal breaker would be an automatic. The 6-speed tranny/ 3.42 rear was an option (standard on Z06's) that I wouldn't be able to live without.

Sport seats are probably another option which I would consider important.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 AM
boltnut
Drifting

Thanks. I also read that the active handleing control thing is not such a great option and I was wondering if the memory package is really that big of a deal as well. I mean how many times am I going to reposition my seat ?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

For me, the memory package is very important since it allows you to easily enter and exit the car. I use it all the time since it automatically repositions the seat once I get in.

As far as the active handling is concerned, I was always under the impression that it was standard on all C5's 2000 and up. Some one else can chime in on this. I would want it.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you would want Active Handling...In case you get...Stupid!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

If you go to trade in a C5, a manual transmission is something the dealers don't want. With them, thay are no value cars. I paid extra to buy a manual transmission C5. Now to trade it in, I would have to give it away.
Make sure what you buy is an automatic, unless you don't ever want to trade it in.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 AM
nodima
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Automatic Transmission.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM
boltnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom/99
If you go to trade in a C5, a manual transmission is something the dealers don't want. With them, thay are no value cars. I paid extra to buy a manual transmission C5. Now to trade it in, I would have to give it away.
Make sure what you buy is an automatic, unless you don't ever want to trade it in.
I hear you, but I would never trade it in to a stealership. Individual sale only for me.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Cybermind
For me, the memory package is very important since it allows you to easily enter and exit the car. I use it all the time since it automatically repositions the seat once I get in.

As far as the active handling is concerned, I was always under the impression that it was standard on all C5's 2000 and up. Some one else can chime in on this. I would want it.
Active Handling (2nd generation) became standard equipment in 2001, prior to that it was a $500 option. I like the Memory package also, but it would not be a deal breaker, most of the stuff you really want came as standard.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
bullmarket
POSSE SENIOR RIDER
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 505 Likes on 224 Posts

The memory, dual climate controls and HUD, especially.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 837 Likes on 396 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Tom/99
That maybe the case in Houston, but it is not the case here in Florida. I have been looking and there are a lot of 6 speed cars available on the dealers lots and as for trade-in value and retail sales, Edmonds lists the 6-speed equipped Corvette a little over $100 more in value and the KKB and NADA list both retail and trade-in the same.
I cannot think of a true deal breaker when it comes to options. Granted some are more desirable than others, but I don't see a deal breaker. As for the 6 speed v. automatic, if you live in a large city with heavy traffic and it is a daily driver, then automatic might be a better option, unless you just love shifting gears. On the other hand you need to look at it from this angle. lets say you find two identical cars (I will use mine) 2001 6 speed all the options available with a little less than 40,000 miles and a one just the same except automatic, but 100,000 miles. I would take the 6 speed.
Like I most everyone on the forum say, shop around and and find one that you like that has the lowest mileage and that has been well maintained.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

lambo doors!!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by nodima
Automatic Transmission.

Ignorance is bliss!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
ljorges
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah that's a tough question especially with so many people and so many opinions. What I can say is that I knew I couldn't live without an HUD, now that I've had my car a few years, the HUD is nice but definitely something that I could have done without. So even things we think we need or what we consider a deal breaker might look different after awhile.

Les
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My opinion is it has to be a vert, 6-speed, and HUD. My opinion is worth the going rate here of $.02 or slightly less for opinions LOL!

If you're buying the car as an investment, then go with what will hold the value the most.

However, most buy the car to drive and enjoy so they get what they want on the car and everybody will have a (different) opinion on what they want. I have a manual trans, but if my wife buys a Vette, she'd want an auto in hers. And so it goes. So think about what YOU want and don't worry what others will say about it. Asking this question on a forum like this is just asking for a string of conflicting opinions - this forum shines when it comes to technical assistance / repair / knowledge, but opinions are cheap.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deal killers. For me, it would be too much steering play. On a manual transmission, a shifter that is sticky. Cracking seals. Rotting rubber bushings in the suspension area.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Roostertail
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by chassed
Ignorance is bliss!

Automatic is definitely a deal breaker for me.

Nick

Get notified of new replies

To C5 options that are a deal killer ?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think there are any deal killers, but certainly many options which are nice to have.

I like having memory seats, since corvettes are so low you almost fall into them, it makes it easier to get in and out.

HUD is a very nice feature, not mandatory but I really enjoy having it. You can add it to almost any corvette which didn't have it, but I think its around $1500 for the part.

The only option I wish mine had was adjustable suspension package. Not sure if its worth the added cost though. I believe the suspension package also has slightly stiffer springs and sway bars? Not sure.

When I was looking for my vette, convertible 6 speeds were very hard to find, and worth a premium, and 6 speeds in general were harder to find and usually a little more expensive than automatics. Also remember the difference between a Fixed roof coupe (FRC), Z06, coupe, and convertible. FRC is a little lighter than a coupe, but coupe has removable top. Z06 is a FRC with further weight savings and more powerful engine.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chassed
Ignorance is bliss!
Too true.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:26 PM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The deal breaker for me would be the transmission. If I had the money, I would own one of each. The transmission choice defines the "personality" of the car so if you want a street-racer get the 6-speed or if you want a cruiser, get the auto. I've loved both.

I believe to some extent, the coupe vs. the convertible is the same thing. I've enjoyed cruising around town in a convertible but I also enjoy long road trips with soft jazz, a/c and a frosty beverage in one hand.

Deciding on what you really want is the tough part and sticking with that choice isn't easy.

Good luck in your quest.

OBD

Quick Reply: C5 options that are a deal killer ?