Sponsored by:

Which fuel do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,853 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
When I go on long trips when I rarely get over 65 mph and cruise AT 2000 RPM, I run mid grade, 89 octane. I am getting 27 mpg and since it does not knock there really is no need for higher octane.
I get 31 mpg cruising the highway at 75-80 on 93 octane.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Either Exxon/Mobil or Shell 93 .. I get 30 mpg on a trip .. That's running between 75-80 mph..
Old 12-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

93 for me.

On my other car I like to sneak 5 gallons of E85 in with my 93...makes for a little more fun.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:26 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I don't buy that at all.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I don't buy that at all.
I'm not in the habit of making things up.

This was taken after returning from a 2998 mile trip, 800 miles of which was all city driving. The actual average for the entire trip, including city driving, was 30.4 mpg. On the highway, at speeds of 75-80 I was obviously averaging at least 31.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I don't buy that at all.
I make a straight shot from my house to Atlantic city Via the Atlantic city expressway. New jersey is a very flat State. I constantly get 33 mpg on the Atlantic city expressway doing 75 mph. Been doing that for 13 years.
You don't buy it? You have to be an educated consumer to buy anything. Obviously you are not.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:42 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I make a straight shot from my house to Atlantic city Via the Atlantic city expressway. New jersey is a very flat State. I constantly get 33 mpg on the Atlantic city expressway doing 75 mph. Been doing that for 13 years.
You don't buy it? You have to be an educated consumer to buy anything. Obviously you are not.
Do you get your numbers from the cars display or do you actually check your gas mileage?
Why is your gas mileage so much better than everyone else? And are you saying you get better gas mileage at higher speeds?

Last edited by JR-01; 12-26-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Do you get your numbers from the cars display or do you actually check your gas mileage?
Most of us do both.

Why is your gas mileage so much better than everyone else?
I think the more pressing question would be why is yours so much worse?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Most of us do both.

I think the more pressing question would be why is yours so much worse?
These cars are rated at 26 highway. Mine gets that and better. If they actually get 33 why didn't they put that on the window sticker? They could have sold a lot more cars.
People can claim anything on the internet and I have been on it long enough to question claims that fly in the face of common sense.
I get 35 mpg on my GMC pickup.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:55 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

My display shows 40 mpg cruisin at 70. When I filled it up and calculated my mpg, it was a lot less.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:56 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...past-year.html
Old 12-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

These cars are rated at 26 highway. Mine gets that and better. If they actually get 33 why didn't they put that on the window sticker? They could have sold a lot more cars.
People can claim anything on the internet and I have been on it long enough to question claims that fly in the face of common sense.
I get 35 mpg on my GMC pickup.
You were told in no uncertain terms by a former GM C5 engineer above that the mpg I claim my car gets is not unusual. I provided a picture that clearly shows a higher mpg than you get.

Question it all you want, it doesn't make you right. Plenty of C5 owners report 30+ mpg for their cars.

As I said, the better question you should be asking is why your mpg is so low.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:02 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

I buy my fuel from a place called "Picerno's Quality Fuels".
Car runs great, great mileage, no knocking or stumbling. Usually the best price around and the greatest guy is the attendant. (this is New Jersey where it's illegal to pump your own gas so this is important)
The place also rents very high end sports cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus and Porsche. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

When rolling resistence is minimal, car is perfectly tuned, tire pressure is correct and you are driving on a low demand concrete flat highway, your gas mileage can be better than average claims. If you saw the latest claims from Kia and the fact they got caught making false claims you can understand why making claims that are only optimal in few places does not make that an Ideal set point. ( You asked why GM did not claim 33 mpg )
Places like New Jersey make up a high mileage benchmark for fuel economy while other states with rolling hills and mountainous terrain make up the low end of the fuel economy spectrum. GM could not claim that everyone can get 33 mpg like I do because it isn't true.
26 is just the average claim. A smart man would recognize that an average claim is based on actual lows and highs. I live in an area where conditions are preferable to high mileage. concrete over black top is a factor, as is proper fuel trims, proper tire inflation, straight shots with few winding turns, all make for optimal fuel economy. The bottom line here is if my car got 12 mpg.. I would still be happy as a clam with its overall performance. If I had to worry about few more mpg then I would sell the car. Your skepticism about fuel claims by many members make you the lesser man. You as much as called several members lairs. You would be better served trying to understand why you are not getting the same mileage as others, for eg. How much time do you spend in either of the two over drive gears 5th and 6th gear. A person who never gets out of four gear and drives around town or one who likes to keep their RPM in the sweet sweet spot ( torque peek ) will see much less mpg. there is a big difference between driving at 60 mph @ 1200 rpm then driving at 60 mph At 4000 rpm . Driving style has more to do with your actual mileage then you might think.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 12-26-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:03 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

when rolling resistence in minimal, car is perfectly tuned, tire pressure is correct and you are driving on a low demand concrete flat highway, your gas mileage can be better than average claims. If you saw the latest claims from Kia and the fact they got caught making false claims you can understand why making claims that are only optimal in few places does not make that an Ideal set point.
Places like New Jersey make up a high mileage benchmark for fuel economy while other states with rolling hills and mountainous terrain make up the low end of the fuel economy spectrum. GM could not claim that everyone can get 33 mpg like I do because it isn't true.
26 is just the average claim. A smart man would recognize that an average claim is based on actual lows and highs. I live in an area where conditions are preferable to high mileage. concrete over black top is a factor, as is proper fuel trims, proper tire inflation, straight shots with few winding turns, all make for optimal fuel economy. The bottom line here is if my car got 12 mpg.. I would still be happy as a clam with its overall performance. If I had to worry about few more mpg then I would sell the car. Your skepticism about fuel claims by many members make you the lesser man. You as much as called several members lairs. You would be better served trying to understand why you are not getting the same mileage as others, for eg. How much time do you spend in either of the two over drive gears 5th and 6th gear. A person who never gets out of four gear and drives around town or one who likes to keep their RPM in the sweet sweet spot ( torque peek ) will see much less mpg. there is a big difference between driving at 60 mph @ 1200 rpm then driving at 60 mph At 4000 rpm . Driving style has more to do with your actual mileage then you might think.
Bill aka ET
Because I am skeptical makes me a lesser man? Interesting. Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

I have been driving for 45 years, driven almost everything imaginable and have always kept track of gas mileage and we do have flat concrete freeways in Wisconsin.
I still find it extremely hard to believe that one could get 35 mpg on a tankful of gas in a C5 Corvette at 75-80 mph. That's just me.
It really doesn't matter either way. You know what you get.

Last edited by JR-01; 12-26-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

99% of the time Chevron 91 or higher.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I don't buy that at all.
Because I am skeptical makes me a lesser man? Interesting. Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

I have been driving for 45 years, driven almost everything imaginable and have always kept track of gas mileage. I find it extremely hard to believe that one could get 35 mpg on a tankful of gas in a C5 Corvette. That's just me.
It really doesn't matter either way. You know what you get.
No this is why you are the lesser man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed View Post

I don't buy that at all.
JR-01 is online now Report Post

Get notified of new replies

To Which fuel do you run?

Old 12-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You brought up 35 mpg which means that you like to exaggerate a point to validate your claim. You also said you get 26 mpg and more.. so you are getting what GM claims. You don't buy that some people can get better than average mileage claimed by the manufacturer??
There is your problem right there.
There is a big difference in printed claims by the manufacturer posted on the window of every automobile manufactured than every claim made on the internet. Your arguments are childish, and rude. Your skepticism does not serve you well in open forum ( you have every right to be skeptical ).. here is a hint.. You can be skeptical all you want, you just don't throw it into the faces of well educated and honorable and ethical people in open forum. We don't like it. Maybe you need some drive school, or maybe you need to get your car fixed.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 12-26-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:32 PM
HotRodMomma
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do run premium in mine (although just bought it 3 weeks ago)...I was just curious what others ran in theirs, after reading the manual as well.

Hell, I would be happy if mine came CLOSE to the mileage some are stating...

My C3 gets better mileage than my C5...and that runs on crummy old unleaded with ZERO issues!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

You brought up 35 mpg which means that you like to exaggerate a point to validate your claim. You also said you get 26 mpg and more.. so you are getting what GM claims. You don't buy that some people can get better than average mileage claimed by the manufacturer??
There is your problem right there.
There is a big difference in printed claims by the manufacturer posted on the window of every automobile manufactured than every claim made on the internet. Your arguments are childish, and rude. Your skepticism does not serve you well in open forum ( you have every right to be skeptical ).. here is a hint.. You can be skeptical all you want, you just don't throw it into the faces of well educated and honorable and ethical people in open forum. We don't like it. Maybe you need some drive school, or maybe you need to get your car fixed.
You said 31 at 70 to 80mph, so 33 to 35 mpg would work for 55 to 65mph. Correct? Or do you believe you get better MPG at higher speeds ignoring the laws of physics and drag?
Why do you care what I think anyway? I don't believe it. So what?
When people on the internet get defensive and resort to personal attacks, it sometimes mean they are full of BS.

I honestly do not believe some people here are getting the mileage they claim and I am sure many here feel the same way I do, but they go along to get along.
I am done here. If you want to get in one last personal attack. Go ahead.

Quick Reply: Which fuel do you run?