Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Rear Diff is Cracked after first time to the 1320.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:08 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

the real hint is the excess gm went to with reducing driveline shock. the rubber couplers, the OE clutch design that sticks, one of the reasons that OE pressure plate sticks is the shock reducing spring setup.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:11 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
you ever drive one of those? they are ridiculous in engagement if they use a high friction material on the disc. transmit a lot of driveline shock

the torque tube couplers are what would worry me, if the shock is enough to break cases like that the couplers are getting raped dry
Never have driven one of these clutches. Had a spec stage 4 with a solid hub in my previous 97z so I have some idea how hard they grab. I wouldn't have installed that without a 12 bolt to handle it. This McCloud clutch sounds like way too much for a stock z transaxle to handle. I would stick with a sprung hub clutch in these cars unless you've switched to a c6z rear.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:10 AM
1999Firehawkls1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
Never have driven one of these clutches. Had a spec stage 4 with a solid hub in my previous 97z so I have some idea how hard they grab. I wouldn't have installed that without a 12 bolt to handle it. This McCloud clutch sounds like way too much for a stock z transaxle to handle. I would stick with a sprung hub clutch in these cars unless you've switched to a c6z rear.
Duno what else you are comparing the McCloud w but Ive done about 10 clutch installs between C5s and F-Bodies and my McCloud RXT isnt that bad at all IMO.

Ive had a Monster Stage 3, Tex Z Grip that were def worse, again, thats just my 2 cents

and yes the car has been at the track before I owned i, not sure how much tho

Quick Reply: [Z06] Rear Diff is Cracked after first time to the 1320.....