C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts, opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Thoughts, opinions

Hi guys,

I'm basically having a hard time coming to a decision, just wanted some thoughts of what others who have been in my position might do.

I have a 2001 corvette with 185k on the clock and having a tough time deciding whether I want to trade it in for a C6 or keep it. As it stands I have the car setup the way I want since I do track days and such.

Although there is nothing wrong with the car other then a the oil pan sweating (possible rear or front seal) there is nothing else wrong. If I get a base c6 I will want to mod it to where my car is now.

I found a base 2006 c6 with 88k on the clock that is clean. No mods other then exhaust. With my car trade in the dealer wanted $12500 tax included...thoughts??? (Keep in mind this is up in Canada so prices will be higher)

Old 06-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Have you test driven a C6? You mentioned that you would end up modding the car like you have your C5 now. Sounds like you would basically be starting over. Is it really worth it? I guess in all honesty it boils down to if you like the look of a C6 over the C5. The interior is worlds better in the C6 IMO. The exterior is finally starting to grow on me after 10 years. Whereas the C7 I immediately fell in love with.

Personally, I didn't like the feel of driving the C6, but that could be the fact I test drove a vert instead of a coupe. The C5Z I opted for seemed like a better all around car minus the interior of course. I didn't test drive a C6Z because the money wasnt there, but I'm sure it's a whole different animal.

I'm beginning to find myself at car meets with the only C5 or C5Z. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just goes to show that the C6 has become more affordable for the average Joe like myself.

If you are bored with your C5 or have hit a peak with what you plan on doing to it then it's proabably time to move on.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorgeous Red C5 Corvette

Originally Posted by STALION
Hi guys,

I'm basically having a hard time coming to a decision, just wanted some thoughts of what others who have been in my position might do.

I have a 2001 corvette with 185k on the clock and having a tough time deciding whether I want to trade it in for a C6 or keep it. As it stands I have the car setup the way I want since I do track days and such.

Although there is nothing wrong with the car other then a the oil pan sweating (possible rear or front seal) there is nothing else wrong. If I get a base c6 I will want to mod it to where my car is now.

I found a base 2006 c6 with 88k on the clock that is clean. No mods other then exhaust. With my car trade in the dealer wanted $12500 tax included...thoughts??? (Keep in mind this is up in Canada so prices will be higher)

Stalion,

Your C5 is way nicer looking than any C6 I've seen. I'd keep your car before trading "up" to the C6 you mentioned. However, if you'd really want to move up, I'd look for a cherry low mileage 2014 base C7, then do your modifications.

Sincerely,
Carcrisis
Old 06-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Stalion
Even with the.mileage yoir car looks great. I love the C5 lines more so than the C6 but there are features on the C6Z06 I do like and incorporated them into my C5. And you can always add more carbon fiber to enhance it. I say keep it.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:20 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Originally Posted by Stealth02
Stalion
Even with the.mileage yoir car looks great. I love the C5 lines more so than the C6 but there are features on the C6Z06 I do like and incorporated them into my C5. And you can always add more carbon fiber to enhance it. I say keep it.

Thanks guys

I like to the looks of mine, and I did a lot of suspension work as well. Looks wise there is always room for improvement (rear valence, hint, hint) The thought came up because the c6 in question was a good deal but I know that I would probably end up dropping some K's to get it to my liking. What I would really like to see that would not sway me to go to a C6 is if say...you and Pete worked on some front fender flares to make the c5 a true wide body all around. I know it's difficult to do front flares because of the shape of the C5, but maybe if the front bumper was also widened "a la" c6z it would allow to run a decent size flare and change the look of the car completely...

Sorry got a little off topic, but ya, not that I don't like my car but the miles are getting up there and trying to plan ahead.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Your cars does have a few miles.

However if you still really like the car keep it. if the engine goes south on you just replace the engine.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Witmer
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

$12.5k for the "trade up" plus mod money on the C6 is a lot of coin. You could use a fraction of that on new mod(s) and/or repair & maintenance on the C5.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:40 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I'd make the switch. 185K is a fair chunk, more than I like. I'd sell and buy privately though, you'll do much better, even if selling privately is a PITA.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grantv
I'd make the switch. 185K is a fair chunk, more than I like. I'd sell and buy privately though, you'll do much better, even if selling privately is a PITA.
Sorry, should have stated that its 115,000 miles = 185 km...still a bit high though
Old 06-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a nascar friend that is going to help me work on some flared front fenders. If I can get them to look like they should I will try and go the same route as the diffuser.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorgeous Red C5 Corvette

Sorry, should have stated that its 115,000 miles = 185 km...still a bit high though
Stalion,

I forgot you're in Canada, aye! I thought the mileage was 185k instead of 185km also. With 115k on your current clock, I'd keep your C5 too.

With warm regards,
Carcrisis
Old 06-10-2015, 02:38 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

It all comes down to if you really want a C6. If so, then get it. The C6 will have more base power and has low miles. I'm guessing that the 88k on the clock are meters? That is around 50k in miles?
Old 06-10-2015, 02:59 PM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

If that Desmosedici is yours, I say keep the C5 AND buy the C6 , plus buy every aftermarket piece they make for it

Last edited by R1 Rider; 06-10-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:09 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stalion - It's cars like yours and Stealth02's that show the timelessness of the C5's shape and design!!! Mine has about the same mileage as yours and it runs great. The thing that really made me a Corvette guy was the C5's planned durability. Chevy was, to my limited knowledge, the first manufacturer to design and make an engine to go into a truly world class sports car that would go 200k+ miles. There are people that report having 300k+ miles on their C5's and they still look and run great.

With that acknowledgement the door is really wide open for you to keep your C5 for a long enough period of time that 3-4 years down the road you may be able to buy a C6 or C7 without having to ever give up your C5. That's the route that I'm hoping to go. So there is no reason to trade your C5 if you are genuinely happy with it out of concern that it may be ready to give up the ghost because it should have tons of miles left to easily give.

-Dave
Old 06-10-2015, 03:22 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I have a friend that took a long time to discover that his real interest in the motorcycles he owned was in the building , more so than the owning. He builds them ,rides for a while, gets bored, sells, than builds another. Perhaps it is time for you to build another, I don't see any advantages with selling what you have , other than just entertainment with another build.
Fun is where you find it.
For myself, I like the c5 platform, and don't mind the age, as long as I can keep up with modern traffic , I don't mind supporting the thing. It's just a transportation car for me, not a labor of love or a self expression.

I suggest your next build be a convertible, but then I always suggest a convertible. the C6 is just c5 version 2.0 as some call it. You would probably be repeating a lot of the same stuff with the car in question.

From the sound of it, sometime in the future, you will ditch what you have built, you just haven't found the replacement that ignites you yet. Am I correct that the thought of the end of your C5 build path is the reason you are looking around?

One thing my friend did that his accountant enjoyed, was that he set up a small company for his activities. He was only trying to get a tax number to cut his parts overhead, but it turned out that he could wright down some of his other expenses and reduce his total losses somewhat.

The car you have is nicer than most. Most people like new stuff. If you are ever going to sell the car, sell it now . I would keep it and go touring in the Canadian rockies with the money I didn't spend on another car. After I cut the top off, of course.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:29 PM
JeffreyDurbin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

115,000 miles isn't high. I have 131,000 on my 1997 C5 and I moved it from daily driver to weekend car in December.

Keep the C5.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:11 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

You've got a really hard decision to make, and only you can make it. The dealer's trade in offer is reasonable. You'll be moving up 5 years and dropping almost 100K in mileage for $12,500 cn. I went through the same C6 decision process last November and decided to stay with the C5, but if you really like the C6, that's a pretty nice offer and you should seriously consider it. I understand why you came to the forum to ask the question, there's no obvious answer. Depends on how much you like the C6. Good luck with your decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts, opinions

Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 PM
RLDaily
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a guy parked behind me at the Eureka Springs meet in 2014 that had over 300K on his '98 and it was smooth as silk
Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

IMHO your car looks way too nice to start over. 115k, just broke in...

Good Luck whatever you decide!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by strand rider
I have a friend that took a long time to discover that his real interest in the motorcycles he owned was in the building , more so than the owning. He builds them ,rides for a while, gets bored, sells, than builds another. Perhaps it is time for you to build another, I don't see any advantages with selling what you have , other than just entertainment with another build.
Fun is where you find it.
For myself, I like the c5 platform, and don't mind the age, as long as I can keep up with modern traffic , I don't mind supporting the thing. It's just a transportation car for me, not a labor of love or a self expression.

I suggest your next build be a convertible, but then I always suggest a convertible. the C6 is just c5 version 2.0 as some call it. You would probably be repeating a lot of the same stuff with the car in question.

From the sound of it, sometime in the future, you will ditch what you have built, you just haven't found the replacement that ignites you yet. Am I correct that the thought of the end of your C5 build path is the reason you are looking around?

One thing my friend did that his accountant enjoyed, was that he set up a small company for his activities. He was only trying to get a tax number to cut his parts overhead, but it turned out that he could wright down some of his other expenses and reduce his total losses somewhat.

The car you have is nicer than most. Most people like new stuff. If you are ever going to sell the car, sell it now . I would keep it and go touring in the Canadian rockies with the money I didn't spend on another car. After I cut the top off, of course.
This is part of the reason as well. Realistically I have only touched the surface of what else I can do to the car, but so far the suspension is 90% where I want it...everything else is only limited to my imagination and of course money. The c6 would not only be a fresh canvas but it is quicker and less miles.

Originally Posted by roadbike56
You've got a really hard decision to make, and only you can make it. The dealer's trade in offer is reasonable. You'll be moving up 5 years and dropping almost 100K in mileage for $12,500 cn. I went through the same C6 decision process last November and decided to stay with the C5, but if you really like the C6, that's a pretty nice offer and you should seriously consider it. I understand why you came to the forum to ask the question, there's no obvious answer. Depends on how much you like the C6. Good luck with your decision.
Ya, kind of why I had to ask. Not looking to get someone else to make a decision for me, just interested in others thoughts, and every response thus far has helped immensely!!! I do really like the c6, but as you can tell I'm a fan of the wide body, and to do a wide body on the c6 isn't cheap! Having a newer car with less miles is what really had me enticed.

After reading the responses, and PM'ing with Stealth02 I may just keep the car. Next steps for me would be the rear diffuser and possibly front splitter and side skirts. What I really want, and have been waiting for is someone to come up with front flares. I know they exist from L5, but looking for something a little more aggressive...but this discussion is for another topic, right Stealth

Quick Reply: Thoughts, opinions