Sponsored by:

Leaking rear dif

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 09:31 PM
jph1972
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking rear dif

2 weeks ago I had the lodal shop replace one of the rear axle assemblies. I noticed tonight the the rear dif is leaking where the axle connects. Is ther an axle seal that should have been replaced when the shop instslled the axle?
Old 05-14-2016, 11:31 PM
jph1972
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
As you get toward the end of the pictures in the first post of the following thread you will see two different seals, an o'ring that seals the cover to the diff and one that seals the axle shaft as it goes through the cover:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-photos.html

From your description ( without pictures) I cannot tell which, if either one or if something else, is the cause of your leakage. If the Diff was overfilled the vent on the top of the diff is also a know source of weepage.
Thanks I did come across this write up when I did a search online. The axle shaft that was replaced was the rear passenger side. It is all wet around the area where the shift connects to the diff. I am just curious if I am going to have to shell out more money or if the repair shop should have replaced the seal with the new axle.

Quick Reply: Leaking rear dif