Sponsored by:

Under hood light

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Under hood light

On my '01 convertible the under hood light has stopped working. Also the battery was dead this a.m. There is no power to the light and also no draw on the battery at this time. Is there a relay/timer on this light that could possibly be causing this problem? I was unable to locate one in either fuse panel. Until yesterday the light has been working as it should and I have had not battery problems prior to this. There are no codes on the DIC. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

That light should come off after a min or so after you open the hood and the doors are closed. I have notice sometimes that it stays on if the doors are open several time, I guess the timer on the relay get override. That has happened to me on car shows if I open doors too many time so I unplug the light switch as a precaution. I don't know if the relay is inside the light casing or if it's control by the same relay that control the interior lights when you close the car.

That's all I can think for now Omaha, hope you get the car going again and can solve the problem. Hopefully someone else will pitch in with other ideas... Good luck.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,297 Likes on 13,970 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The underhood light on my '03 goes off when I shut the hood - no time delay at all. If the hood is open, the light should go off in 10-15 minutes after opening the hood.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (11-07-2018)
Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The underhood light on my '03 goes off when I shut the hood - no time delay at all. If the hood is open, the light should go off in 10-15 minutes after opening the hood.
Until yesterday mine worked the same way. My thought is that what ever controls the light shutting off after the hood has remained open for 15 or 20 minutes may have malfunctioned and caused my battery to go dead and also my be the reason the light no longer works at all. I just do not know what controls this. As I stated, there is no power at the light and I see no fuses that could be the cause. Maybe someone can let me know how this works.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Do your vanity mirror lamps light up when you open the vanity mirror doors? Same with the I/P compartment lamp (lamp that lights up the floor when you open a door)? These are all on the same circuit as the underhood lamp.
No, the vanity lights do not work now and neither do the I/P compartment lights. Here's something else,...a couple days ago I replaced the driver's side sun visor and the new one has LED vanity lights, which by the way are a joke. I'm wondering now if my problems are caused by the new visor?? I'm thinking of just disconnecting the light on the new visor. I don't use it and it's worthless at best. So I must have a fuse somewhere that is blown or a "timer" that has failed. I appreciate the heads up on the vanity lights. Never made that connection, but then again, I'm old! Any ideas where or what this "timer" is?
Old 07-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The operation of the under hood light and several other convenience lights (glove box light, vanity mirror lights, and inside rear view mirror light) is controlled by the Body Control Module in conjunction with fuse #2 and relay #37 in the IP fuse box. Here is a wiring diagram:

Attachment 47998938

The left side of the diagram shows how this works.

When any of the lights in that circuit should be illuminated, the BCM provides the ground for the coil side of relay #37 to provide power through fuse #2 and then monitors the current flowing in that circuit and if the current flows for more than a specific period of time (about 15 minutes) the BCM drops the ground path to the coil side of relay 37 causing the circuit to become open and hence the lights go out.

If you have no voltage at the under hood light then your vanity mirror light and glove box light probably also do not function.

I would check fuse #2 to see if it is bad and also relay 37 to see if it failed in the closed position. If it failed in the closed position then any lights that were illuminated would have remained on until the battery expired...........
WoW...Just seen this post. Thanks so much. I will check farther. This is pretty much what or how I thought this circuit must work. This is great. I'll look at it later this evening or tomorrow. Thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:49 AM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Ok, I will update my progress on this little problem. I changed out relay #37 and all "appears" to be normal?? After driving the car some 25 miles or so, I noticed the battery voltage will not maintain over 13.6 volts. I think this is on the low side. Should be closer to the 14 volt range. I think my battery is getting close to replacement time. I disconnected the under hood light and when I disconnected the battery I noticed there is a click sound in the area of the right headlight. Can anyone tell me what that might be? If I reconnect the battery and then disconnect it again I can hear the click. Not sure if this is some sort of a "timer controlled" module/relay or what. Since I replaced relay #37 my discharged battery problem seems to have been solved. Ideas?? Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The click you hear when disconnecting/reconnecting the battery is the headlight control module which is located below the right side headlight. Normal noise as that relay is powered at all times and not just when the ignition switch is in the ON position.

If relay 37 was stuck" in the closed position then any light in the "monitored load" circuit that was ON would remain ON and the BCM would not be able to turn it off based on the timer function by dropping the ground for the coil portion of relay 37. That would draw down the battery.

The replacement relay is allowing the circuit to function as designed and power off lights in the monitored load circuit after a short time.
8vettr7, thanks for the information and the response. I assumed it was a relay of some type but nice to know for sure. This is my first c5 and I have learned a lot from this forum. It's always good to visit with those who have both knowledge and experience. Thanks again
Old 07-12-2016, 03:02 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

your DIC voltage will sometimes show a lesser voltage than the actually battery voltage... measure your battery voltage at the battery if you think it's low... and get it LOAD tested at a local auto parts store...
IF you ever have alternator trouble, be SURE you read the STICKY in the TECH SECTION about alternator design by dadaroo....one of his final contributions to the forum
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (11-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Under hood light

Quick Reply: Under hood light