Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:08 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

TPE wide fenders, Forgestar f14 super deep concave 19x12 +23 offset with 345 30 19 nt05rs are on. Caravaggio spoiler and apsis rear mud flaps and chrome lettering are off.

Last edited by tommypenguin; 12-04-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:43 PM
jpm995
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Looks great, I have 3.9 gears in my almost stock '02 z06 and it feels just right. The car really pulls around town and with the 2 od top gears it's still good at highway speeds [at least where i live]. Like you bought car with those gears so i can't compare.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Ncognito
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Question - I know its a bit different since your car is a base coupe, but do you dislike the combo of 3.90 gears + supercharger? I have an '03 Z making around 430-440whp on a mustang dyno w/ cam/headers/intake etc. - have a leaky diff vent + axle seals, was thinking of upgrading from the stock 3.42's to 3.90's however knowing that I may very well SC it w/ A&A kit in the future was concerned that combo of ultra short gearing + huge power w/ the SC would make it miserable to drive anywhere but wide open roads/track setting?

Great car/write-up btw too!
Sorry, not trying to hijack. Great thread btw. My car, 02z with 500 wheel n/a and have had 3.90 and also 3.42, both have ups and downs. The 3.90s never felt too steep for me and definitely had more punch. I currently have 3.42 and find it better for what I do with the car, it sees quite a bit of highway .

Last edited by Ncognito; 12-04-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:33 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Following mods added....
​​​​​​
C7carbon race edition spoiler, vented splitter, zr1 side skirts
Backup camera, Sony ax200 double din, Metra bezel
Domed dash letteringc7Carbon extended spoiler
c7Carbon zr1 side skirts
c7Carbon vented splitter
metra double din bezel
sony XAV-AX200
eRapta ERT02 backup camera
relocating afr gauge from ash tray to steering wheel column via autometer
smoked led 3rd brake light
black corvette lettering
Flip key

Old 01-02-2019, 12:22 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Dadburnit TP, I thought I had subscribed to this thread a long time ago. One of my favorite C5's!
I'm planning on coming out your way in February for the NRHA Arizona Nationals.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:54 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Damn Nick! She is looking stunning! Hopefully I can get the motivation to get mine to this level....maybe next year, This year I am focusing on the new family sedan!
Old 01-28-2019, 01:06 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
Dadburnit TP, I thought I had subscribed to this thread a long time ago. One of my favorite C5's!
I'm planning on coming out your way in February for the NRHA Arizona Nationals.
Thanks man, let me know when you'll be out here maybe be we can meet up!

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
Damn Nick! She is looking stunning! Hopefully I can get the motivation to get mine to this level....maybe next year, This year I am focusing on the new family sedan!
You're car is already there, if I could have my choice my car would be balloon white. The G8 is coming along really well can't wait to see what you do next.

Couple of updates, reached 1100 miles on the new motor. To get to this point have had to troubleshoot a couple more issues both dealing with header heat. Had a random misfire at 5000rpm ended up being from bad plug wire on bank 7.

I ran hinson spark plug wires with the 45 degree bend and they clicked onto the spark plug but easily rotated while connected. Had air gap when installing them but over a couple hundred miles one of the plug wires rotated on the plug and melted on the headers. Ended up doing what I should have done from the get go and ordered gmpp plug wires, then put 3 of them on an old spark plug and bent them slightly away from the header. Then ran those 3 with no heat shield. Most important thing is to have air gap, if the metal boot touches you can short out. Socks won't prevent grounding out even if they might prevent melting the wire. The gmpp wires fit so much tighter than any other brand I've used, wouldn't roll the dice again with a different brand. Don't over complicate the spark plug wire decision, go with GMPP!

Also my passenger side o2 sensor slipped out of it's holder and also touched the header and melted a bit. Had to order a new one and took some more precautions zip tieing things away from the headers.

Did an oil change, oil looked good after cutting open filter along with magnetic drain plug. No outstanding issues for now, seems like there's always one around the corner. Got 1000 miles to go and then will switch back to synthetic oil.

Aside from that I love driving my car so much, having incredible weather in phoenix been driving my car with the top off every day and getting on it! So much fun to drive, also really digging the double din and having android auto in the car, use google maps all the time to help avoid traffic jams and handle my text messages. Backup camera is also key. Am considering installing an aftermarket birds eye camera system, where I have to put cameras in the mirrors and front of the car. Also may add aftermarket blind spot monitors to complete updating the safety features on the car. Will see for the next month or so plan on just driving and enjoying the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by tommypenguin:
blackmachdown (01-29-2019), Efx (05-28-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:11 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Thanks man, let me know when you'll be out here maybe be we can meet up!

You're car is already there, if I could have my choice my car would be balloon white. The G8 is coming along really well can't wait to see what you do next.

Couple of updates, reached 1100 miles on the new motor. To get to this point have had to troubleshoot a couple more issues both dealing with header heat. Had a random misfire at 5000rpm ended up being from bad plug wire on bank 7.

I ran hinson spark plug wires with the 45 degree bend and they clicked onto the spark plug but easily rotated while connected. Had air gap when installing them but over a couple hundred miles one of the plug wires rotated on the plug and melted on the headers. Ended up doing what I should have done from the get go and ordered gmpp plug wires, then put 3 of them on an old spark plug and bent them slightly away from the header. Then ran those 3 with no heat shield. Most important thing is to have air gap, if the metal boot touches you can short out. Socks won't prevent grounding out even if they might prevent melting the wire. The gmpp wires fit so much tighter than any other brand I've used, wouldn't roll the dice again with a different brand. Don't over complicate the spark plug wire decision, go with GMPP!

Also my passenger side o2 sensor slipped out of it's holder and also touched the header and melted a bit. Had to order a new one and took some more precautions zip tieing things away from the headers.

Did an oil change, oil looked good after cutting open filter along with magnetic drain plug. No outstanding issues for now, seems like there's always one around the corner. Got 1000 miles to go and then will switch back to synthetic oil.

Aside from that I love driving my car so much, having incredible weather in phoenix been driving my car with the top off every day and getting on it! So much fun to drive, also really digging the double din and having android auto in the car, use google maps all the time to help avoid traffic jams and handle my text messages. Backup camera is also key. Am considering installing an aftermarket birds eye camera system, where I have to put cameras in the mirrors and front of the car. Also may add aftermarket blind spot monitors to complete updating the safety features on the car. Will see for the next month or so plan on just driving and enjoying the car.

Thanks Nick, I miss boost, so I am doing a very tame LSA build on it, I’ve got all the parts I need and so far I’m $3500 into collecting pieces, looking for mid 500 on the g8 on 91.

I didnt know know they made aftermarket 360 and birds eye systems for cars, that is going to be super cool! Every time I see your car I get that much closer to ordering carbon fiber flares! I should be putting the c5z on the dyno once it warms up here and I can fully break in the new clutch, hoping for 575 rwhp n/a on it.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:41 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

The wide fenders are a mod I'll never regret, but it wasn't cheap. The 345s hook so well, feel ultra confident when I get on it. That LS7 has to be so much fun, you can make the same power I'm making now NA, though in colorado's high altitude boost is a little more fun to compensate for the atmospheric pressure difference.Knock on wood if/when I have to do another motor on this car might ditch the SC and go LS7. Hope I don't have to think about that for a LONG time!

On to a new project had an opportunity to upgrade my speakers in my car to Focal KRX2 for the front and 130 kr's in the rear. At some point I'm going to want to upgrade my amp to give these speakers more power. But in the interim they sound really good. Am playing with the tweeter location and also had to order some door panel repair tabs off of ebay.

I've taken my door panels off countless times since owning the car. This will be my 4th set of speakers including the stock ones I've had. Probably should make a new speaker mount myself, have a sweet milwaukee m18 jigsaw now and the current ones are pretty beat. Also should insulate the doors better. A blessing and curse with this car is that the there will always be a project to do. At least with these speakers retailing for close to the cost of my wheels I know that I won't be upgrading them anytime soon.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:46 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Focal's are GREAT speakers. I had them in my 1992 Eagle Talon TsiAWD. Just a 5.25 "mid and 1" tweeter in each kick panel. Those two sets were a $1000 alone. Then there was a 8" mid-bass in each floorboards and four 10" subs in the back. It was a sweet ride and won the Nationals in sound quality back in the late 90's. Focal speakers or MB Quart speakers, JL Audio subwoofers, Alpine head units, and Precision Power amplifiers ruled the 90's car audio scene. I'm out of the loop now but I know Precision Power amplifiers are no longer considered quality but Focal's and JL Audio subwoofers are still used.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:46 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Did some maintenance over the weekend, flushed clutch fluid, changed the oil. Pulled the methanol kit, replaced my halos on my headlights with switch back morimotos. Also pulled the IC to TB piping and replaced with one solid pipe that has a bung welded for iat given I'm not using my maf anymore with a speed density tune.

My hood is still touching the AC condenser when I close it, might need to run a dewitts lowered radiator to clear the SC intake dongle. If I can get that clearance the ac condenser/radiator will sit closer toward the blower giving me the 1/2" of clearance I need to clear the hood.

Beyond that the only outstanding items on the wish list are new hood, 3.4 pulley, reupholster my arm rest and wiring in a homelink to my mirror visor.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:56 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Did some maintenance over the weekend, flushed clutch fluid, changed the oil. Pulled the methanol kit, replaced my halos on my headlights with switch back morimotos. Also pulled the IC to TB piping and replaced with one solid pipe that has a bung welded for iat given I'm not using my maf anymore with a speed density tune.

My hood is still touching the AC condenser when I close it, might need to run a dewitts lowered radiator to clear the SC intake dongle. If I can get that clearance the ac condenser/radiator will sit closer toward the blower giving me the 1/2" of clearance I need to clear the hood.

Beyond that the only outstanding items on the wish list are new hood, 3.4 pulley, reupholster my arm rest and wiring in a homelink to my mirror visor.
Your car/build is SICK - helped motivate me to hold on to my '03Z & move forward w/ some mods/projects I had put off. Can you post a clear side shot pic showing the stance of the car w/ those wheels/spoiler? I can tell from the 3/4 view pics it is pretty much sitting exactly how I'd like it, also - was on the fence removing my BSM's - that's happening this weekend lol
Old 05-09-2019, 06:09 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Your car/build is SICK - helped motivate me to hold on to my '03Z & move forward w/ some mods/projects I had put off. Can you post a clear side shot pic showing the stance of the car w/ those wheels/spoiler? I can tell from the 3/4 view pics it is pretty much sitting exactly how I'd like it, also - was on the fence removing my BSM's - that's happening this weekend lol
Thanks, glad it can inspire Here are a couple pics...

The following users liked this post:
C5Dobie (05-13-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:06 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Switchback halos are on, morimoto are super bright wish they wouldn't have changed interior diameter.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Washed the car, next mod is to order a dewitt's short radiator to clear my intake dongle for the sc. My hood hasn't been able to close on the passenger side by probably an 1/8 of an inch since installing the full size dewitts because it pushes the radiator/condensor forward too far. Once I reconcile this issue will be in the clear to order a new hood. Pretty sure it will be an anderson hood unless I can magically find an mcm hood that won't break the bank.​​​​​​​

The following 4 users liked this post by tommypenguin:
boostedfury (05-28-2019), Efx (05-28-2019), lewislgZ06 (05-27-2019), red03vette (12-19-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:58 AM
Efx
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts

Sexy car!
tommypenguin (05-28-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 11:03 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Been a long summer of not driving much in the desert. Did a few projects over the last 2 weekends. Blew a channel on my amp but had to diagnose that, took a couple hours. Also had done some ultra sketchy soldering for my signal lights up front with connectors. Was the first mod I did.

Went back and did all soldering with nice pinned connectors. Lastly installed a dewitts shorty radiator and spal shorty fans. I can at long last close my hood without hitting the ac condenser. I can finally order a hood, still leaning towards anderson, not sure when I will but at least it won't get damaged closing it when I do.

Last edited by tommypenguin; 09-15-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To TP's Modding/Repair/Maintenance Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 01:00 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Finally fixed my brake squeal using a brake hone on the rotors and rebesding them. Also aligned my shifter and bled the remote bleeder. Am swapping out my double din for an atoto a a6. New hood has been ordered.

Started a YouTube channel I'll be posting diys in going forward.

lewislgZ06 (10-01-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 10:56 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

New double din is in. Atoto a6, steering wheel controls, GPS, wifi, and front dash cam are all part of the install.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:26 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Is that a big enough screen, Nick? lol Dang!

Quick Reply: TP's Modding/Repair/Maintenance Thread