Sponsored by:

2001 C5 No Electrical Power Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 03:12 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 C5 No Electrical Power Need Help

I was charging my 2001 C5 battery. Battery was too low to crank car so after charging overnight at 10 amps the battery was still very weak. I then switched my battery charger to 225 Cranking Amps to start the car. Then all the power went out completely. Nothing. I suspect a fuse burnt out (I hope)? Any ideas on which fuse and which fuse box? I pulled and see nothing obvious. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I "JUST" posted this for another forum member and you will most likely have some relief from checking the same things:

Sounds as though you have:

1. Loose/poorly connected battery terminals on the battery. Connection bolt torque is 11 ft/lbs

OR

Loose / Burnt / Corroded / Damaged main connection terminals on the STARTER SOLENOID.

The battery charging circuit (which comes from the terminal on the back of the alternator (BATT TERMINAL) goes down to that solenoid connection and then up to the battery POS terminal. It MUST be clean and tight at all connection points!!!!!!!

Check all that!

Bill

I would start with LOOSE and or IMPROPERLY connected battery cables. Start there. Clean the battery terminals and cable connections and properly TORQUE the cable terminals on to the battery.

NOTE! There is ZERO, NADA, NONE fuses in the battery hot at all times main battery buss. The horn, headlights Bulbs and brake lights & flashers should work if the battery is connected!

I think that you have a poor battery connection or your battery is DEAD!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
ezzrider (10-30-2016), LeoLivinLife (07-11-2020)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:53 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Default Thanks

I will give all that a try in morning. Don't think terminals are loose but will check. Even if battery was dead with charger on wouldn't lights and stuff work?
Old 10-28-2016, 09:58 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I "JUST" posted this for another forum member and you will most likely have some relief from checking the same things:

1. Loose/poorly connected battery terminals on the battery. Connection bolt torque is 11 ft/lbs

OR

Loose / Burnt / Corroded / Damaged main connection terminals on the STARTER SOLENOID.

The battery charging circuit (which comes from the terminal on the back of the alternator (BATT TERMINAL) goes down to that solenoid connection and then up to the battery POS terminal. It MUST be clean and tight at all connection points!!!!!!!

Check all that!

Bill

I would start with LOOSE and or IMPROPERLY connected battery cables. Start there. Clean the battery terminals and cable connections and properly TORQUE the cable terminals on to the battery.

NOTE! There is ZERO, NADA, NONE fuses in the battery hot at all times main battery buss. The horn, headlights Bulbs and brake lights & flashers should work if the battery is connected!

Isn't there fusible link some where in that path between the starter and solenoid?
Old 10-30-2016, 05:17 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Default Thanks Bill!

OR

Check all that!

Bill

Turned out to be a bad battery. Put a new one in today and started up fine. Hard to believe the battery went dead when it was on a battery minder charger as we do not drive this car much.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by ezzrider
Turned out to be a bad battery. Put a new one in today and started up fine. Hard to believe the battery went dead when it was on a battery minder charger as we do not drive this car much.
a battery can become sulfated , which means it's shorted between all or a few cells = junk
Old 10-30-2016, 07:20 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

What brand "battery minder" if you don't mind saying?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by akapounder
a battery can become sulfated , which means it's shorted between all or a few cells = junk
Yep. Gues that is what happened. The battery date was 7/2012 though.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:54 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jdvann
What brand "battery minder" if you don't mind saying?
Shumacher
Old 07-12-2020, 08:29 AM
LeoLivinLife
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

OR

Check all that!

Bill

Thanks a million! Still helping people to this day. My "new" 98 C5 failed to start after a slow crank and then bam no power anywhere. Looked all over the place for about an hour not finding the cause and thanks to your post I found that the battery terminals needed a little tightening. Turned right back on!
Old 07-12-2020, 03:08 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

This may add to the troubleshooting efforts. Something else to check. Examine the B+ connection on the under hood fuse block. It can and will come loose or get corroded and cause issues. There is also one on the passengers foot well fuse block.
Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
bjones7131 (07-13-2020), LeoLivinLife (07-12-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 C5 No Electrical Power Need Help

Quick Reply: 2001 C5 No Electrical Power Need Help