Sponsored by:

2000 C5 Dual Climate Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 08:23 PM
okcamper
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 C5 Dual Climate Control Issues

Hi, I'm a first time user. I have a 2000 Vette convertible. Having issues with the Dual climate control. It wont let me turn the power off to the unit. The light just stays on from the fresh air or circulating switches. Also it wont allow me to turn the temperature settings up or down. I turn the temp **** up or down, and nothing happens. I've also tried turning the passengers side **** with same results. It simply shows the ext temp. and fan control. The light is good and strong so nothing apparent with the LCD display. Any help would be great...
Old 04-24-2017, 08:37 PM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Does the control panel look like this? If you press the off button (bottom left) the unit should go off and display the oat. To turn on press the auto button (top right) and turn ***** to warm or cool.
I think you can move fan control buttons up or down without ac being on.
Other than the owners manuals instructions if you search this forum for problems with the ac control for more help.
VH
Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 PM
okcamper
4th Gear

That is what it looks like. When i push the OFF button, nothing happens and power stays on ??? Only way to turn power off was to pull the fuse. The fan stays on the lowest setting unless I turn it up. The temp **** does nothing when I dial it up or down !!!!. I have only the EXT temp showing on the display. I have gone thru the manual with neg results. The A/C needs recharging so it only flashes a few seconds which I understand. I had to change the flasher unit today, so presently have the whole climate control unit out of the vehicle. Was hoping for a quick fix while i have it out. Any new suggestions would be great. Hoping i don't have to replace the unit. I live in Canada and all the parts are really expensive. (ie just spent $ 82 for a flasher unit)...
Originally Posted by VH Vette

Does the control panel look like this? If you press the off button (bottom left) the unit should go off and display the oat. To turn on press the auto button (top right) and turn ***** to warm or cool.
I think you can move fan control buttons up or down without ac being on.
Other than the owners manuals instructions if you search this forum for problems with the ac control for more help.
VH
Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 PM
VH Vette
Racer

Sorry, oat means outside ambient temperature this is an aircraft term which to you is ext temp. That is correct after you push the off button (by the way, does the temp indicated seem right?).
After you push off and then push Auto. Does anything change?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds to me like you are turning it off. Once it is off turning the temp ***** will do nothing. Press off. Then press Auto. Once you do then try the temp *****. Don't be surprised if the display reacts.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 PM
okcamper
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Ducati Guy
Sounds to me like you are turning it off. Once it is off turning the temp ***** will do nothing. Press off. Then press Auto. Once you do then try the temp *****. Don't be surprised if the display reacts.
Sorry, just got home. Ironically I had to change the flasher unit, so with the consul out, I pulled the unit out and unplugged it. When i just plugged it back in it worked temporarily for turning it on and off (couple times), then quit again and went back to its old self. The OAT did appear to be correct. Even after re-plugging the unit, i never did get the temps to show, to try and turn up or down.!!!! I was going to open it up and clean the contacts to see if that might help. So to answer your question, nothing changed...I'm running out of ideas...
Old 04-25-2017, 11:10 PM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by okcamper
Sorry, just got home. Ironically I had to change the flasher unit, so with the consul out, I pulled the unit out and unplugged it. When i just plugged it back in it worked temporarily for turning it on and off (couple times), then quit again and went back to its old self. The OAT did appear to be correct. Even after re-plugging the unit, i never did get the temps to show, to try and turn up or down.!!!! I was going to open it up and clean the contacts to see if that might help. So to answer your question, nothing changed...I'm running out of ideas...
You might need to have it repaired. They are notorious for having the soldering go bad on the circuit board. Most of the time the problem is that the display goes dim or dark. But I would not be surprised if your problem is related to bad solder.

Plenty of guys on ebay that fix the display. Might me worth contacting some of them and ask about your situation.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_fro...0unit%20repair
Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM
VH Vette
Racer

what is the condition of your battery? Are you doing these checks with the engine running or on a battery tender?
Funny that it would be OK and then stop after "a couple of times".
Low battery can cause problems.
Other than that, like a lot of other members have suggested the unit could be bad and need to be repaired.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Jayman
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm experiencing the same issue with my 99. Have tried all mentioned above "solutions" and more. After removing it I resoldered the OFF button and actually all other ones too. My AUTO button also was not responsive. After reinstalling I did get some response to those buttons, however it's intermittent. The temperature control **** (driver) does nothing. My understanding is that it might be the stepper motor for this, but I have yet to find a vendor that does this repair. Everyone seems to do display for the most part but mine is great. Also my battery was full and on charge when I last tested it. I'm pretty sure someone fixes this, I just haven't found them yet...
Jay

Get notified of new replies

To 2000 C5 Dual Climate Control Issues

Quick Reply: 2000 C5 Dual Climate Control Issues