Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:48 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I just had my wheel installed this week. Dsvettes/Vette candy did awesome job on the wheel.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:51 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by peteinpa
Had C5 wheel covered by Dsvettes/vettecandy
Looks good Pete!!!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:26 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
Do you folks without airbags pay a higher insurance premium? Is there any liability having someone else drive the car?

What's your opinion on the usefulness of the air bag? I feel like without it at least I'd have a chance at avoiding further danger after it went off. With the airbag you completely lose control after it goes off and could end up putting yourself in more danger by flying off a cliff. However in a head on collision you might be toast without it. I'm torn on the issue.
I suspect no one is telling his/her insurance company that the SRS has been modified. Wouldn't be able to get insurance...

Usefulness of the airbag??? Data proves it useful. But as you note, probably not a universal case...

Originally Posted by JETZ
'...and I was able to retain an airbag.'
You hope it will work, but won't know until 'that time comes'!

I have a custom Caravaggio wheel which I had done @ 1500 kms.
The C6 definetly looks better/ smaller.

If I went to the trouble to do the C6 swap, I would have gotten the SW controls working,
which another member worked out.

Every time ' a SW swap' thread comes out everyone freaks out. No airbag!
How many guys with C5's also have 'classic muscle cars'... without air bags??? Obviously, with AB's you're safer, BUT you still drive your 'non airbag' car!

frank
I've made the same statements... I had asked in a previous thread if the functionality were tested. Should be an easy test as there are button type impact sensors. Best done in a trashed car...

As to driving without airbags... I made it for 20 years before I ever had a car with SRS. They are not the be all, end all. The challenge comes when it's time to collect insurance and you've violated the safety system non-modification clauses in your policy. Adjuster swings by and wants to know where the airbag deploy is...
Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
I suspect no one is telling his/her insurance company that the SRS has been modified. Wouldn't be able to get insurance...
So what happens if you're injured in an accident and they find out you removed the airbags? Would you not be covered?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:49 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
So what happens if you're injured in an accident and they find out you removed the airbags? Would you not be covered?
My policy (Progressive) does not specifically call out a modification to the SRS. However, it does have some verbiage around Duty to Report Changes and Fraud. And the application/policy has specific discounts for SRS. Therefore, modifying the SRS and then not reporting it could void the policy. Your mileage may vary. Everyone should do his/her own homework.

Quick Reply: steering wheel replacement