Sponsored by:

EBCM Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:13 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
Everyone has heard "Think Outside The Box" . My Headlight Control Module went out. I know you can get used ones pretty cheap but they are just that, used and as old or older than the one that failed.

I designed and built an HCM from scratch. It works perfectly. I'm just a hack, surely not an electronics expert. I just know some of you really talented folks can re-engineer the EBCM.

There was a forum member who set out to do just that...as far as I know, he's never been heard from since...not quite sure what that means...
Old 06-23-2017, 01:29 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
There was a forum member who set out to do just that...as far as I know, he's never been heard from since...not quite sure what that means...
Ha! Guess he's like Tron. Digitized and stuck inside the EBCM . Hunted by the Master EBCM Program.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Tony79dr@yahoo.com
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
Is this who you are talking about?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-success.html
Old 06-23-2017, 02:43 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tony79dr@yahoo.com

No, I've never seen that thread...the other guy claimed to be some kind of electronics engineer or something like that...his thread was like 10 or 12 pages and it just kind of ended with everyone hanging...I don't think he's been heard from since...
Old 06-23-2017, 03:55 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

The problem is GM not releasing the design info so 3rd party markets can determine if there is money in an aftermarket part.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-25-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 08:07 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Perhaps this one by the member in New Zeland whose car could not be registered without the ABS system working:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-97-00-c5.html

That's not it either...the thread started with a guy who claimed he was an electrical engineer, or something along those lines, and wanted to buy some bad EBCMs to work on, and I remember he was having a hard time getting them at first, but then he did and he found out how impossible the epoxy coated board is the work with, and after quite a lengthy thread, he just stopped posting....
Old 06-24-2017, 08:11 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
The problem is GM not releasing the design info so 3rd party markets can determine if there is money in an aftermarket part.

And this is the part that's so puzzling to me. What benefit is it to GM to just sit on the info? They aren't doing anything with it, so it isn't making them a cent. Notta. I don't see how it could be anything but beneficial to GM to make it available to the highest bidder. Maybe no one bids on it...maybe many do, who knows, but at least make it available...
Old 06-24-2017, 09:10 AM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ket-parts.html

It's not a matter of GM making the information available. It's the economics of production. See Tadge's discussion to the question.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:06 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

No one here has mentioned it yet, but it's likely some of the integrated circuits used in the module are obsolete. Even with the full schematics, programming and design data it's not very likely you could build it without re-engineering it to use new IC's.

Anyone who thinks you can reverse engineer it by monitoring the I/O has no clue about electronics or how complicated the EBTC module is or how pointless that kind of exercise would be.

Sorry, but it's the same answer as the last 1000 times this has been complained about. The module is too complicated to build engineer from scratch or reverse engineer and the existing design likely has obsolete components. So, there is simply no possibility any aftermarket company will ever be able to make a replacement and make money selling it.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-24-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:26 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
No one here has mentioned it yet, but it's likely some of the integrated circuits used in the module are obsolete. Even with the full schematics, programming and design data it's not very likely you could build it without re-engineering it to use new IC's.

Anyone who thinks you can reverse engineer it by monitoring the I/O has no clue about electronics or how complicated the EBTC module is or how pointless that kind of exercise would be.

Sorry, but it's the same answer as the last 1000 times this has been complained about. The module is too complicated to build engineer from scratch or reverse engineer and the existing design likely has obsolete components. So, there is simply no possibility any aftermarket company will ever be able to make a replacement and make money selling it.
Hummmm, seems like the same perception the US Auto makers made on the life span of auto mechanics until the Japanese car manufacturers saw it another way beginning in the '80's. Maybe give the plans to the Chinese to duplicate. They seem to have no problems duplicating anything.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 AM
JacobVrrm123
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Waldo_2001
With a little looking around I got mine repaired for $50 and it cost me $7 to ship it. Fixed same day it was received and mailed back out.

James
Who did the repair for you for that cheap? I know absfixer is around $150.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:17 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Hummmm, seems like the same perception the US Auto makers made on the life span of auto mechanics until the Japanese car manufacturers saw it another way beginning in the '80's. Maybe give the plans to the Chinese to duplicate. They seem to have no problems duplicating anything.

Get a company in China to build it cheap.... That' turn out well.

The simple fact is that no-one would make a profit by re-engineering the module and going to production on them. It'd would be $millions to get one to market by the time the R&D, prototyping, testing & qualifying and then final production is done assuming they have all the original documentation on the design. And I doubt GM/Delphi would release the info because it's likely proprietary since it contains stuff still done on their new cars.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-26-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:39 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Get a company in China to build it cheap.... That' turn out well.

The simple fact is that no-one would make a profit by re-engineering the module and going to production on them. It'd would be $millions to get one to market by the time the R&D, prototyping, testing & qualifying and then final production is done assuming they have all the original documentation on the design. And I doubt GM/Delphi would release the info because it's likely proprietary since it contains stuff still done on their new cars.
Anything can be emulated. The Trick would be matching the footprint. If we had schematics and code it could be done. But without some of the specific ICs the size difference could be substantial. I mean, I remember an exercise at ASU where we discussed building a processor (pentium class) and decided it could be done even with individual components. It would be huge and consume massive electricity. But it's just logic gates.

Kind of like in the back to the future trilogy where he repaired the time circuits with 1950s technology. (Tongue in cheek here guys)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

One of the problems is the supplier went belly-up years ago before anyone wanted the information on their product. The manufacturing process, schematics, components, etc are gone and lost somewhere. IF someone were to miraculously produce a solution, they would quickly sell about 1000 of them and then the orders would trickle in one or two at a time. In today's economy, that would be a very bad investment for a small to medium size electronic company and the large companies with the ability to produce a clone will not because all their resources are geared to the millions of new cars being produced each year and that is where the money is.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:18 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
One of the problems is the supplier went belly-up years ago before anyone wanted the information on their product. The manufacturing process, schematics, components, etc are gone and lost somewhere. IF someone were to miraculously produce a solution, they would quickly sell about 1000 of them and then the orders would trickle in one or two at a time. In today's economy, that would be a very bad investment for a small to medium size electronic company and the large companies with the ability to produce a clone will not because all their resources are geared to the millions of new cars being produced each year and that is where the money is.
I agree with your assessment. Perhaps a "rebuild-it-yourself" kit might be marketable without too much financial risk for the enterprising vendor. You think?

The Lizzard
Old 09-16-2017, 06:26 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Rock Auto and Amazon now have new EBCMs (ACDelco 12216561) for 2001 Vettes. They must still be making them in Mexico.

Last edited by JR-01; 09-16-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:05 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Rock Auto and Amazon now have new EBCMs (ACDelco 12216561) for 2001 Vettes. They must still be making them in Mexico.
Also for 2003 Vettes, I bought mine from Amazon

ACDelco 10343433 GM Original Equipment Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module Kit $536.78

Get notified of new replies

To EBCM Replacement

Old 09-17-2017, 12:07 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

That's not a bad price but hopefully I'll never need one.
Still, I think I'd send mine to ABSfixer as they only charge $150-$200.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:19 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gordy M

Don't forget that only a large company could take on the liability of this. If a small company did it and got sued over it for some reason it could easily bankrupt them. There is no incentive to do this when it's a money pit.

At least the newer model is appearing again. The older 97-00 cars have no fix.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 09-17-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:45 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
That's not a bad price but hopefully I'll never need one.
Still, I think I'd send mine to ABSfixer as they only charge $150-$200.
ABSfixer cannot always repair them. Just depends on what they find inside.

Quick Reply: EBCM Replacement