Sponsored by:

Looking to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 05:58 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by C5R USA
This question would be better suited to ask the C7 folks that have gone from a C5 to C7 in the C7 section, the opinions here will be vastly different and more pro-C5. ...

I guess I'm fortunate that I happen to be in the employ of a company that delivers C7 Callaway Corvettes exclusively. I've gotten plenty of seat time in C7's before and after their transformation. I'm here to tell you in my opinion, that it is a fantastic car. I have nothing against the C7, it's beautiful in it's own way, and just a few seconds sitting in the interior and you know it's a better quality "feel". One of the biggest perks for me, is being able to deliver these cars from time to time to their new owners. Being a "Vette guy" I share in their joy of their new car arrival.

That being said....I don't feel an ounce of jealousy in not having the "newest" Vette out there. From Temecula, CA to Bowling Green, KY and Old Lyme, CT to the residence of the new owner. I know back in STL. MO I have a great C5 sitting in the garage that is paid for, styled to my tastes, and in great working order. Just things to keep in mind when you go searching for "upgrades". Personally, I have a whole different kind of love for my C5 nowadays, compared to when I bought it almost 14 years ago. Modding your C5 for upgrades will definitely give you a better appreciation of what you have in the garage already....Just my .02

Good luck with whatever you decide to do....

capevettes

I bought this C7 Z06 new last year. 7 Speed manual. It's a a hell of a car and stupid fast. Still love driving the C5. The new cars are so darn complex, I'm only scratching the surface of all the gadgets they put in it. The simplicity and looks of the C5 never get old. As great as the C7 Z is, I will never be convinced it's that many times better that you can justify the price difference.
Forgive my long wind; I can be that way...

I'm glad this thread is in the c5 forum... maybe I can post this without getting flamed massively for my views. I agree with C5R USA; especially with the specific sentiments he's voiced that I bold-printed. I also agree with Capevettes--the c7z06 is a helluva car and 'stupid' fast--but as great as it is, I too might never admit it's worth the price difference "down" to a c5... IF you mod the c5.

I own a c5 z06 that's been modded "lightly"--PFADT sways and shocks, LT headers, 4.10 gears, tune, Callaway-Honker CAI and McLeod RST w/LWT flywheel--but no engine mods except for the Honker and headers. I did the drivetrain mods when/because the clutch died and a lot of the labor was redundant and therefore, "free". Stereo amp, subwoofer, roll bar, blahblahblah are just gravy--and to MY liking. Performance and handling alone, prolly set me back an additional $10 grand on top of the cost of the car.

I test-drove a base c7, a c7 z51, and a c7 z06. I won't say "money wasn't a consideration", but I considered the z06 seriously because the z51's performance wasn't THAT much better than my c5z06 in the street. My c5z06 might actually be faster through the gears than the z51 (with a lower hypothetical top speed). There's no doubt the z51 can out-turn the c5z06 in the street, but I sure had to work at it hard through a familiar hairpin turn to prove it. The c7 z06 was "stupid fast"--but I had to have the patience to outwait the throttle lag when the rear tires broke loose in order respond to my demands at WOT. Not scary with all the electronic nannies though thrilling, yet maybe even a little disappointing considering all the hype about "instant" HP--in my opinion, the c7 z06's electronic throttle needs a tune (which would kill the warranty). In my opinion, 60-ft trap times aside, there's not much the c7 z06 can do in the street that a z51 "almost" can't match, within legalities--even through the turns (in the street). Maybe the fabled HPDE overheating anecdotes are less expected in a z51, too.

I needed/wanted a second highway cruiser for my wife; something that had warranty service while I was away for "brainless, no-dealer-objections repair" if needed, and a car that would respond to my driving and handling expectations when I drove us cross-country. We ended up with the z51, but I'm really, REALLY with C5RUSA when I say they're not that different, especially as Capevette points out--when comparing costs. If I could get a warranty to cover the c5z06, I'd Carvaggio the seats for more comfort (or use some other aftermarket plush seating offering) to 'bring the c5 seating comfort expectations up to "Corvette standards" ', and I'd have been done. The c7 would have been completely unnecessary... I just wish I could have found a warranty for the c5 z06. I would have saved a metric ****ton of money.

Here's my true-life real experience--I had just returned from a 6,000-mile trip, having driven the c7 for it. I had to get the c5's registration renewed, so I drove it to the tax assessor's office just to run the fluids--the c5 is the car that broke me out in giggles when I WOT'd it on the on ramp. I didn't smile that big all the time we were cross-countrying, and I'd downshifted from 7th to 4th and bogarted plenty of folks in the z51; it was the rawness of the c5 that did the trick, not the sophistication and nannies of the c7... so I'm not sure a modded c5 wouldn't satisfy the seat-of-the pants needs if the c5 owner knew "the truth".
Old 09-24-2017, 07:27 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

There is some throttle lag with the C7 Z06. I bought a Tony Mamo ported throttle body and that took care of that. The C7 Z51 is a nice car for the street but it's not on the same planet as the Z06. It's almost 200 horsepower less.
The C5 Z06 may be the best performance bargain of all time. I do like naturally aspirated motors and the raw, sports car feel of the C5 Z.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:41 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by CPO Rob
Tom, I really appreciate yours and the others words of wisdom. Your point is well taken, and you know as well as anyone that you would want the car you really can't have due to monetary hurdles. $78k is quite a bit of money when you come down to it. '
I am sure like friou , Route99 and the others, we all love our cars but that green Sting Ray in the first photo was just beautiful.

So anyway, taking my "Silver" up to 120mph on that runway was a blast as well as being part of that special group of people that all have a passion for the Corvette. I am just gunna have to jump in for a ride today, that should do it.

Rob, I truly respect your opinion, and honestly if I had Carte Blanche I might think differently about ante-ing up for a C7. Similar to your situation in seeing that green Stingray with the tobacco interior. I saw one just like it at a car show last year and people were ga-ga over it, and I have to admit, it is a striking car. Could I afford a C7...yes, could I afford something more prestigious...yes but, not without difficulty, and I have other hobbies, and I do like to eat on a regular basis,

You are absolutely right, $78K is a chunk of change. No arguing that, and that's one of the reasons I quit pursuing buying new vehicles in any capacity years ago. The sticker shock and then the depreciation shock within a few months even if I kept it off the road. Who knows...Maybe buying that C7 would be beneficial to you...Great problems/decisions to ponder over....

Originally Posted by capevettes
I bought this C7 Z06 new last year. 7 Speed manual. It's a a hell of a car and stupid fast. Still love driving the C5. The new cars are so darn complex, I'm only scratching the surface of all the gadgets they put in it. The simplicity and looks of the C5 never get old. As great as the C7 Z is, I will never be convinced it's that many times better that you can justify the price difference.

Beautiful response Paul.....I concur wholeheartedly

If there's a list of people on this forum who's advice I take as gospel, Paul is on that list. Here's a guy that is "Vette nuts", and I mean that in a good way. Not only does he have the Better Homes& Gardens version in the Vette world for a garage but, he's had more time in Vette seats and ownership than most us, and that goes for all generations.

Rob, you want someone's gold-plated .02...His opinion is spot-on. Someone that obviously has means but, clearly knows the value of dollar.

Paul, is there any generation of Corvette you're less than an expert on from the others?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:24 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C5R USA
Rob, I truly respect your opinion, and honestly if I had Carte Blanche I might think differently about ante-ing up for a C7. Similar to your situation in seeing that green Stingray with the tobacco interior. I saw one just like it at a car show last year and people were ga-ga over it, and I have to admit, it is a striking car. Could I afford a C7...yes, could I afford something more prestigious...yes but, not without difficulty, and I have other hobbies, and I do like to eat on a regular basis,

You are absolutely right, $78K is a chunk of change. No arguing that, and that's one of the reasons I quit pursuing buying new vehicles in any capacity years ago. The sticker shock and then the depreciation shock within a few months even if I kept it off the road. Who knows...Maybe buying that C7 would be beneficial to you...Great problems/decisions to ponder over....

Beautiful response Paul.....I concur wholeheartedly

If there's a list of people on this forum who's advice I take as gospel, Paul is on that list. Here's a guy that is "Vette nuts", and I mean that in a good way. Not only does he have the Better Homes& Gardens version in the Vette world for a garage but, he's had more time in Vette seats and ownership than most us, and that goes for all generations.

Rob, you want someone's gold-plated .02...His opinion is spot-on. Someone that obviously has means but, clearly knows the value of dollar.

Paul, is there any generation of Corvette you're less than an expert on from the others?
Tom, Thanks for the kind comments I guess after 46 years and 32 Corvettes I picked up a couple of things over the years. Still learning. Lots of knowledgeable people here, like yourself that make this Forum alot of fun. Corvettes and the people associated with them are just a huge part of my life. I feel like a very lucky guy. I'm going for a drive today
The following users liked this post:
C5R USA (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Tom, Thanks for the kind comments I guess after 46 years and 32 Corvettes I picked up a couple of things over the years. Still learning. Lots of knowledgeable people here, like yourself that make this Forum alot of fun. Corvettes and the people associated with them are just a huge part of my life. I feel like a very lucky guy. I'm going for a drive today

Today is/was a great day to be out for a drive. I'm on the East Coast running Porsche from Rhode Island down to NY/NJ the past week but, I was in Barnstable last Monday picking up BMW I8's from the promotion show that was on Nantucket. I was keeping my eyes open hoping maybe I might catch you tooling around town in one of your Vettes but, it was kind of overcast that day. Hope you enjoyed your drive, beautiful weather right now.
capevettes (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:00 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 99mike
I too have upgraded. But, kept my C5. Both cars are fantastic.

What kind of lift is that?? I have a similar garage set up.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Bigbully
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the look and design of the C5 also. the C7 is nice but a bit off from the sleek curved lines of the Corvette. I just bought a C5 about 2 weeks ago. it's fully paid for, and in great shape. $70,000+ is a lot to spend on a car that doesn't drive in all elements/weather etc.
so my Vette stays in the garage waiting for me to take her out. My Audi A7 gets driven most of time. still a price point over $70,000, but it can drive in all weather conditions, looks great as it's a beautiful designed car, and the options and gadgets are endless.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I was not going to buy one either....until I drove it. I don't know that they are that much quicker than than a C5Z but they sure feel quicker and more stable in every way. I bought an auto and did not like it but loved the car. If you can rationalize the cost you'll buy it.

Last edited by Too Slow '90; 09-30-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:27 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Borntorun04/17
Can you tell me what is your garage ceiling height and what is the height of lift all the way up with corvette on lift. ( top of Corvette to floor height). Thinking of lift my ceiling is 10.6 Thanks, Dave
Dave. Sorry I did not respond sooner. Just saw your post. My ceiling height is just under 11 feet. You should be fine. I can stand under mine and work under the car with it adjusted to the next to highest notch. No problem stacking.
Borntorun04/17 (10-02-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 PM
99mike
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
What kind of lift is that?? I have a similar garage set up.
Bendpak HD-9
Old 10-01-2017, 06:37 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

I love my C5. The brake system and wheel/tire mods I've made make it a truly fantastic handling car. Also, as my mechanic said, it's a balanced go cart that can be pushed hard and enjoyed as a driver's car with all nannies off.

But the C7 Z51 and especially the C7 ZO6 are truly in a whole other world. Finding a perfect used C7 is quite easy with a little patience. Never raced 2015 ZO6 cars with the 2 or 3 package can now be found for under $68K. I likely will be getting a '15 or '16 Z this year. Want to keep my beloved C5 but that probably won't add up since we already have 4 cars. Might even get rid of the CTS V too. The CTS V power is what finally pushed me over the edge on a Z.

The new mid engine cars? Nice, but they won't be track faster than the current cars and they will unfortunately be almost completely unusable as a road trip car, which is one of the things we most enjoy about a Vette. You can't take two suitcases, a couple of smaller aux bags, and either 1-2 sets of golf clubs or your pet in a mid engine car on a 4-6 day road trip.

Last edited by B747VET; 10-01-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:03 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Unless you're rich enough to use $20 bills as toilet paper, I don't see how to justify spending $80K-$120K for a toy...
Old 10-02-2017, 05:26 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

I'm in the same boat and will offer you no help what so ever.
Some good points made so far pro and con, and I agree with a lot of them.
I love the cargo capacity of my 04 vert.
I see the c5's some time and I think they are really dated. Other times still looking great. I still get constant compliments on mine.
Seeing that pic with the C7 next to the C5 and it really looks old.
Maybe I'll go throw a coat of Z on my paid for C5 that I still love and stop thinking??
Good luck OP, and you're welcome for no help.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Dave. Sorry I did not respond sooner. Just saw your post. My ceiling height is just under 11 feet. You should be fine. I can stand under mine and work under the car with it adjusted to the next to highest notch. No problem stacking.
Thanks for responding with ceiling height, seems I'm good with ceiling height . I will checkout there web site. I want to be able to park either a Acadia or GMC Sierra under car on rack for winter. Thanks again for info. Dave

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 10-02-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:05 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

1 yr old Vettes are a great buy. Wait till Jan and buy one from the north. I'll be buried with my C5 and I can easily afford a new one.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:44 PM
steve8
Race Director

I too have upgraded. But, kept my C5. Both cars are fantastic.

This pic outside may cost me 50k?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:46 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Still a bargain compared to other sports cars. Audi A8 for 180K...nah.
Even for 120K a new vette is more sensible than spending up to 200K..unless you have that kind of cash.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to upgrade

Old 10-03-2017, 07:27 AM
99mike
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by steve8
This pic outside may cost me 50k?
$56K plus tax, title and registration.

Mike
Old 10-03-2017, 03:12 PM
steve8
Race Director

$56K plus tax, title and registration.

Mike

I meant/should have said $50K plus my car for the GS vert that I want.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:32 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Borntorun04/17
Thanks for responding with ceiling height, seems I'm good with ceiling height . I will checkout there web site. I want to be able to park either a Acadia or GMC Sierra under car on rack for winter. Thanks again for info. Dave
You're very We come Dave. I'm stacking low profile cars. You may be tight with an SUV or pickup truck with a ceiling under 11 feet.

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade