Sponsored by:

C5

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Finallysee5
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c5BlackBeauty
Not not frustrated. I have a 2000 and I did 4 things when I bought here in 2003. (1). Ensures I had the basic tools to do “basic” work. (2) Ide tidies a good mechanic so I wasn’t dependent on the Stealership when out of warranty. (3). Read and became knowledgeable about the C5 and (4). Joined the Forum, which I have been tapping into members knowledge and experience for 15 years. The Corvette, and especially the C5 is a special car and fun to work on. Sure there are issues but the benefits far outweigh the issues I’ve dealt with. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride! Don’t forget to wave!
Couldn’t agree more and thanks! I’ll get it. May take me longer than
most but I’ll get it done. Changed out the stock low beams to LED.
I’ll get these damn wheels off too!✅
Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 PM
Finallysee5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
A good harbor freight jack that can get the car up is ~$50-$60. Set of four decent jack stands will run you ~$30-$40. A four way tire iron (I actually recommend having a proper torque wrench even for lugs as lugs are supposed to be torqued, but "tight" will work) can be had most everywhere for ~$15. Can make jacking pucks for $15 with locally sourced stuff (look online for guides).

Jack car up in rear with new jack, put rear on stands, get at the front with your freshly made pucks, put on stands, get the wheels off, clean calipers, loosen them off, mask off everything not to be painted (including car obviously) paint caliper faces and bodies, while calipers off remove rotors (don't have to mask your rotors since the first few times you apply the brakes it'll knock the paint off the braking surfaces), paint, let dry, install rotors, install calipers, install wheels, lower car, let all sit overnight.

Can do all of that competently in an afternoon.
Awesome!!! Thank you for this information! Simply the best!
I think mechanics come naturally for most men. Women...not so much.😁
Doesn’t mean we can’t learn!✅
Old 09-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Finallysee5
Advanced

Originally Posted by glbeauchamp
Used hockey pucks sell around here for $1 each. 3/4" (ID) eye screws are about 50 cents. In my opinion, the lug nuts should be torqued (100 lbs, according to Chev), then retorqued after 50 or so miles. Here's a link for a torque wrench": https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...+torque+wrench. You can get a jack there, too. Once you start working on your Vette and everything turns out alright, you will probably want to do more. If it doesn't, well.....
simply the best!!!👍🏻
Old 09-10-2018, 05:36 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Finallysee5
Love to hear from from forum members
with solid advice. That would leave you out.✅
What advice would you consider "solid"? The solution to your problem is to buy a jack and a breaker bar extension. Period. Sorry if you didn't get the advice you wanted. What were you hoping for?
Old 09-10-2018, 05:40 PM
Finallysee5
Advanced

Originally Posted by JR-01
Doesn't sound like you have the skillset for even the basic jobs. Either learn and get the tools needed or let someone else do the work. Simple.
nope! Doesn’t mean I can’t get what’s needed and learn
though! Never too old to learn something something.
Gotta start somewhere.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Finallysee5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Phanni
Learning to remove tire should be a basic for every driver. I was taught to change a tire by my dad and I was required to do so before I was allowed to drive. Having the strength to remove the lung nuts, could be a problem, however there are easy solutions, such as an extension bar. I'm sure there are other Vette owners in your areas that would be very happy to help you learn the processes. Learning to change a wheel/ tire is a great place to get started 'turning a wrench'. Next is an oil change,,,,,,,,
I’ll look into the extension bar. Thanks for the feedback
Old 09-10-2018, 06:20 PM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

Been on this forum for over a year and this is the stupidest post I've seen. Jesus!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I think mechanics come naturally for most men. Women...not so much.😁
Doesn’t mean we can’t learn!✅
My wife does a good job of maintaining her car. Desire to learn is the key. Her motivation was to stop overpaying for poor mechanic work. lol
Old 09-10-2018, 07:08 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline1999
Your statement really doesn't make sense. The tools you need to do that job are the same tools you would need to do those things on any car. They're basic tools that should be found in anyone's garage.
100% agree....it may be best to leave the work to someone else...
Old 09-10-2018, 07:16 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Just to add harbor freight sells a compressor and air tools cheap but they work well for small jobs, tires for sure and easy....a low profile jack fits easy under the hacking locations IF your car is not lowered and slammed to the floor...this forum has a lot if info on how to do many different things....it does get crazy if you need your whole body under the car as you would need to 100% sure its steady on jack stands if u don't have access to a lift...
The following users liked this post:
Finallysee5 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Finallysee5
Advanced

Originally Posted by tabbruzz
100% agree....it may be best to leave the work to someone else...
100% disagree!
I’ll get the tools and learn myself.
Lots of good information here and most members offer good suggestions
rather than opinions😎
Old 09-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Finallysee5
Advanced

Originally Posted by fuggles
My wife does a good job of maintaining her car. Desire to learn is the key. Her motivation was to stop overpaying for poor mechanic work. lol
Good for her!! Love that!
Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 PM
Stockvette03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it just me or are there any other owners frustrated that they can’t perform some of the work on their vettes due to lack of tools and mechanics????? I want new wheels but want to paint brake calipers and rotor hubs first. Makes sense right....except I can’t take the wheels off the car cuz I don’t have a jack and not sure I have the strength to get lug nuts off either! Just WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Dont get urself hurt, pay someone to do it for you. The economy needs everybody, if i didnt need you, you wouldnt have a job. Gotta pay to play one way or the other.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 PM
Stockvette03
Instructor

100% disagree!
I’ll get the tools and learn myself.
Lots of good information here and most members offer good suggestions
rather than opinions😎
opinions are one thing, years of knowledge just to understand bolts and torque is another, you may do it all how the book told you to, common sense and training is what stops you from ruining your car when things dont go by the book. If you have plenty of free time and have no need for your car, and dont mind a couple mistakes (that will happen for sure 100% even the best make mistakes) that will cost you more than the money youll save, in the long run over the course of ur life it will pay itself off, it may (probably wont) make the work on ur car any cheaper, and deffinetly will not be the quality you want at the end of the day on ur vette. Not an opinion, just a facf. There are tricks to every trade, and some cannot just be explained easily
Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,228 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you do not have any or very limited mechanical knowledge, see if your local Vo-Tech school offers any basic automotive mechanics classes that will teach you enough to be able to do such things as take wheels off, change oil, etc. And I agree that investing in some basic tools (jack, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, jack stands, and jacking pucks) will be a big investment for you.

Everybody has to start somewhere so follow some of the more solid advice you have received, ignore some of the not so helpful comments and enjoy your C5 ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
ArmchairArchitect (09-10-2018), Finallysee5 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Finallysee5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stockvette03

opinions are one thing, years of knowledge just to understand bolts and torque is another, you may do it all how the book told you to, common sense and training is what stops you from ruining your car when things dont go by the book. If you have plenty of free time and have no need for your car, and dont mind a couple mistakes (that will happen for sure 100% even the best make mistakes) that will cost you more than the money youll save, in the long run over the course of ur life it will pay itself off, it may (probably wont) make the work on ur car any cheaper, and deffinetly will not be the quality you want at the end of the day on ur vette. Not an opinion, just a facf. There are tricks to every trade, and some cannot just be explained easily
thank you for your honest reasonable advice!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Finallysee5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If you do not have any or very limited mechanical knowledge, see if your local Vo-Tech school offers any basic automotive mechanics classes that will teach you enough to be able to do such things as take wheels off, change oil, etc. And I agree that investing in some basic tools (jack, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, jack stands, and jacking pucks) will be a big investment for you.

Everybody has to start somewhere so follow some of the more solid advice you have received, ignore some of the not so helpful comments and enjoy your C5 ownership.
great idea! There are actually some trade schools in my area.
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To C5

Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Stockvette03
Instructor

great idea! There are actually some trade schools in my area.
Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Totally worth going to. Youre welcome for the advice. I attended one year auto tech, work with heavy machinery nuts bolts clamps the whole 9 yards, there is certain things i wouldnt even attempt on this car without someone present just due to how easy it is to mess it up and how labor intesive it is to do certain things. I dont mind figuring things out, but leave 1 bolt loose and spend another 2-3 months only working on the car on the weekends because i work a lot and cant do it on a weekday, only to irritate my old lady and never have time to take her out etc, for a chance to do it again? Nah ill pass. But would i hesitate on wheel swaps or brake pads or something simple ? Even headers i wouldnt bat an eye at, but i can also wait till i rebuild the engine and just pay a shop to do if, meanwhile enjoying my life and family i work hard for. A cars just a car. Im all for enjoying it to the max, but family is always first for me. Plus you can get some really great tips/build advise from ur local chevy performance shops!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

nope! Doesn’t mean I can’t get what’s needed and learn
though! Never too old to learn something something.
Gotta start somewhere.
If you have the desire and determination you can do it. Join a car club, go to car shows, make new friends.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

No, it's just you.

Quick Reply: C5