Sponsored by:

C5

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:36 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by gaustins11
I'm not frustrated, yet. I've only had my Vetter for a month, but I plan on keeping this car along time so I plan on purchasing certain equipment considering it an investment i.e. low profile floor jack. Granted I'm only a shade-tree mechanic - not like many of the masters that contribute on this Forum - but I've learned what I can do and what I can't. I don't mind paying a bit for what I can't do. As far as getting the lug nuts off, get a longer handle - leverage. Stay away from frustration, pursue the fun
It sounds like you're at about my level...I can do certain things like change fluids and filters and things of that nature, but doing major component replacements/repairs, I would have to pay a mechanic to do that stuff. Like you, I don't mind paying for that stuff either. The Corvette is a toy, and I realize there is some expense that goes with a hobby of this magnitude. If a person can't either do these things themselves, or they can't afford to pay to have them done, they probably shouldn't have a C5...
Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Doesn't sound like you have the skillset for even the basic jobs. Either learn and get the tools needed or let someone else do the work. Simple.
Or join a club & when someone talks about doing something to their car,ask politely can you come watch/help.Thats what I do. The more you watch and ask questions the more you learn.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:48 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default learning how

Originally Posted by C5 4me
Or join a club & when someone talks about doing something to their car,ask politely can you come watch/help.Thats what I do. The more you watch and ask questions the more you learn.
I would suggest a visit to youtube, on basic car maintenance, there you will see many ways to learn....and sometime by putting in year of car it can be even more precise, keep an open mind and absorb like a sponge and u will eventually get it.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:05 PM
monteholic
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll second youtube, there are tons of videos to help expand your abilities

Last edited by monteholic; 09-11-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Some of the replies here are simply shameful. This man is trying to learn some new things. He doesn't need people ridiculing him for his lack of knowledge, he is asking for advice. I have no idea how old he is, but, I would go out of my way to help him learn a few basics. Not all of us were born with a silver wrench in our hands. Help him, and I'm betting he'd help the next guy that needs some help/advice. He has been nothing but civil here, more than some of his repliers have shown.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phanni:
Mayor111 (09-12-2018), Route99 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I thought one of the basic points of this forum is to help a member when they ask.

Instead of "quit whining", end the discussion with "buy a jack and buy a breaker bar." That's the solid advice she was looking for.
A Corvette mechanic rebuilding a transmission in his garage reflects the skills they've gained over time, but how about providing some valid input to help the new member learn more about the car which can help them enjoy their car even more.
The OP asked questions and one answer is "learn." Seems to be that's what they are trying to do.

In contrast to some of the responses, the OP was also told,
“see if your local Vo-Tech school offers any basic automotive mechanics classes”
“I'm sure there are other Vette owners in your areas that would be very happy to help you learn the processes”
“A good harbor freight jack that can get the car up is ~$50-$60”
“Here's a link for a torque wrench”
“If you don't have the strength to take lug nuts off, maybe someone overtightened them. Get a breaker bar”
“If you have the desire and determination you can do it. Join a car club, go to car shows, make new friends”
“join a club & when someone talks about doing something to their car, ask politely can you come watch/help”
“I would suggest a visit to youtube, on basic car maintenance”

And why many joined the forum is perhaps caught up in replies from two members who said,
“Joined the Forum, which I have been tapping into members knowledge and experience for 15 years”
“This forum has a lot if info on how to do many different things” (from a 19 year member)

So, is this “the stupidest post I've seen”? Or did some of us forget that we once knew absolutely nothing about a car (or any other subject) and asked for help?
The following 2 users liked this post by Route99:
Earthship (09-11-2018), Mayor111 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:30 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Some of the replies here are simply shameful. This man is trying to learn some new things. He doesn't need people ridiculing him for his lack of knowledge, he is asking for advice. I have no idea how old he is, but, I would go out of my way to help him learn a few basics. Not all of us were born with a silver wrench in our hands. Help him, and I'm betting he'd help the next guy that needs some help/advice. He has been nothing but civil here, more than some of his repliers have shown.
I think its been established the OP is female.

And i agree...

Old 09-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Centerline1999
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe some of the responses that a few might feel are "insensitive" were posted because of the poor way the original post was worded. The first sentence made it sound, at least to me, like this person can't do any work because the C-5 requires some specialized tools. It makes it sound like someone can work on other cars but not the C-5 for some mysterious reason.

Originally Posted by Finallysee5
Is it just me or are there any other owners frustrated that they can’t perform some of the work on their vettes due to lack of tools and mechanics?????

The second statement sounds like this person just doesn't have any basic tools. There is no request for help, or for someone to help them learn that you do indeed need a jack to take off the wheels. As far as not having the strength to get the lug nuts off... maybe the person is 5' and 100 lbs. how are we supposed to know? There are a lot of men that are that size so whether the person is male or female if they're that small it might be difficult... therefore the suggestions for buying a breaker bar and using a pipe to increase the leverage.

Originally Posted by Finallysee5
I want new wheels but want to paint brake calipers and rotor hubs first. Makes sense right....except I can’t take the wheels off the car cuz I don’t have a jack and not sure I have the strength to get lug nuts off either! Just WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I'm not defending the "insensitive" posts because you're going to see them on any forum. I just understand why they were posted. If the person had asked for help I don't think you would have seen those posts, but they didn't. They just made statements that didn't make a lot of sense... at least to me, and apparently to some others as well.

Last edited by Centerline1999; 09-12-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

Hi - dont listen to the idiots that criticize the level of your knowledge...they are the ones who probably know the least and their wives rule the roost, but need to act big here on the forums. I knew nothing about cars before joining this forum and a lot of nice folks here have taught me SOO much...just keep reading, get familiar with your owner's manual, so you can ask really good questions.

Ill offer you the option of helping paint your calipers and brackets - I did them on my C5 myself and I had ZERO mechanical knowledge about cars, let alone a Corvette. Im in the Lehigh Valley area in PA - so if you want to have some help and get it done for free - the offer is open to you if you want to make the drive here. I have all the tools needed, my fiance can make us a nice lunch, you would just need to buy the paint. Since the car would be up in the air, might be a good time to do an oil change (if needed)...something else you could learn to do - super easy on a C5.

If not - here is my post on how I did it - I hope it helps!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...per-paint.html

Quick Reply: C5