Sponsored by:

Ebay HID Projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Ebay HID Projector headlights

Well the days are getting shorter, and I'll soon be using my crap stock headlights regularly again. I tried drop in LEDs, and they're crap. Wasn't impressed with the higher output halogens either. What's the general opinion on the relatively cheap (~$225) headlight housings that include HID kits on ebay? I assume the housings are all the same, but the included HID kits all look different. Is there a preferred one? I know Radioflyer has a tricked out version, but at 3x the cost, it's just not for me.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:15 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

No one has an opinion on these? I don't want to buy these just to have the HIDs blink out on me after a month, or have the light pattern be crap.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Whatsa347
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty sure the JWmotoring one is the eBay one, they used to look exactly alike. HID kits are cheap, as long as the projector is decent that's all that matters.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Ebay projectors use cheap halogen projectors. While they won't glare that badly, their light distribution will still be subpar.

The cheapest option that only requires minor assembly is an Ebay ACA headlight kit, Lightwerkz C5 brackets, and a generic mini H1 HID projector with a generic H1 HID kit. Or you can try your hand at making a bracket yourself.
​​​​​
Old 09-16-2018, 12:12 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I kind of figured the projectors would be less than great since they don't list a name brand or anything. I'm a little bummed they're not even proper HID projectors though. I'm not a huge lighting snob, I wonder if it would be 'good enough' for my purposes.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:01 PM
monteholic
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

if you're going to dump money into your lights...just pony up for the radioflyer's, in the long run you'll be farther ahead
The following users liked this post:
FreeC5inAZ (09-17-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 01:03 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

I'm not willing to spend what they want for them. I know they're great, but it's simply not worth it for me for headlights.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Then you can keep throwing money at cheap half-assed solutions that you never come out happy with. And in the long run spend a lot more.

Cheap low quality Chinese ebay projectors ACA projectors (JWM, Radioflyer uses higher quality Taiwan projectors at almost double cost): $170
Lightwerkz bracket: $70 (about $50 with their sales, or make your own).
Generic H1 projectors (Radioflyer uses name brand at more than double cost): $30
Generic 55 watt H1 HID kit (Radioflyer uses name brand at more than double cost, 55 watt may damage generic projectors): $40

At bare minimum, you can get a halfway decent HID projector setup for about $300 with questionable quality. Make your own bracket and it'll be under $250.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Whatsa347
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW the eBay projectors aren't bad, I had a set of my F-body, they're still going to this day just as good as the day I got them. Plenty of people use cheap eBay projectors with no problems.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:53 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

most are halogen projectors - even the Taiwanese ACA versions (with the H9 low beam), however, they're a lot better than stock regardless, and even putting your own HID kit in them won't be the worst thing in the world. not good enough to satisfy lighting snobs by any means, but not dangerously blinding either.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:00 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _zebra
However, they're a lot better than stock regardless, and even putting your own HID kit in them won't be the worst thing in the world. not good enough to satisfy lighting snobs by any means, but not dangerously blinding either.
This basically sounds like what I'm looking for. I use my headlights maybe 1/3 of the year, and only on my 15 minute drive back from work. Basically I just want something bright and attractive that's not going to blind other drivers, I don't feel the need to get the best (plus $250 is a lot easier to justify to the boss than $600+). I might consider shelling out another hundred for one of JW's kits. It sounds like they're using better stuff. I kind of like the halo look on the ebay ones though. In a perfect world, I'd get the Radioflyer flush mount headlights (the flip ups are the 1 thing I hate about the c5), but I definitely can't afford $1200 for lights.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:14 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Does your C5 have factory fog lights?
If your main concern is getting better light on the road when driving at night I would suggest you convert your stock fog lights over to 55watt HIDs. You can get a bunch of bright white light with a sharp cut off at the top. Just aim them higher than stock so their cut off is just below the stock headlights. Then run the HID fogs along with your stock headlights
Old 09-16-2018, 06:18 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrprich
Does your C5 have factory fog lights?
If your main concern is getting better light on the road when driving at night I would suggest you convert your stock fog lights over to 55watt HIDs. You can get a bunch of bright white light with a sharp cut off at the top. Just aim them higher than stock so their cut off is just below the stock headlights. Then run the HID fogs along with your stock headlights
I've got a fog light button, but no actual fog lights. Looks like the previous owner pulled them for some reason. I'm guessing better airflow to the radiator or something.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:42 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp1588
I've got a fog light button, but no actual fog lights. Looks like the previous owner pulled them for some reason. I'm guessing better airflow to the radiator or something.
Then there should be stock wiring in place. You can find used sets, but ask for a close up of the front of the lenses before you buy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ights&_sacat=0
Old 09-16-2018, 08:54 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrprich
Then there should be stock wiring in place. You can find used sets, but ask for a close up of the front of the lenses before you buy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ights&_sacat=0
That's a pretty good price actually. I'd need to get the fog light bezels as well. The PO pulled the whole thing out. I'll consider that option though.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:53 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Have you tried the MOSTPLUS LED bulbs? Most here on this forum are happy with those, myself included. Do a search on "MOSTPLUS" in this forum and you'll see all the feedback on them.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:55 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Yes, I have those exact ones in now. One seems to have burnt out and I was never very happy with the light pattern.

Get notified of new replies

To Ebay HID Projector headlights

Old 09-17-2018, 12:41 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Ebay HID bulbs are terrible in both fog housings and headlights. They are very unreliable, don’t waste your money.
Simply installing a bright bulb in the fog will not get you much more light. The lens controls the light pattern not the bulb. If you can put a complete HID light assembly in place of the fogs, you might get something. No led or HID bulb is compatible with the stock C5 lens. I’ve tried it and discussed same with Daniel Stern, the online lighting expert.
I’ve tried enough combos over the years, ignoring what I read on Daniel’s site and been disappointed every time, which is why I contacted him directly.
I’m convinced that Radioflyer’s kit is the best available and might be worth the price. I don’t want to waste any more money on junk, tho’ JWM’s kit might be a reasonable compromise. Otherwise, you are just playing games trying to save money that will eventually get close to what you might spend if you saved and bought quality.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:46 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a set of the Chinese ACA headlights. I took them over to the Lightwerkz shop and had them look at them. Once I get the low beam receptacles removed from the assemblies, I will go back to their shop and purchase the parts I need to complete the conversion. It will be their adapters and a set of bi-xenon Morimotos. The final assembly should duplicate the best on the market at half the cost. I too can't justify the super expense of other products. I have too many things going on. I'm in the middle of a restoration and working on two vehicles at once is not easy. Lightwerkz is less than an hour's ride from my home.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:46 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Only an hour or less from me, tho’ this is the first time hearing about them. if you’re thinking Morimotos that’s a whole different animal, especially since they are bi-xenon. I’ve been looking at Morimotos for years on ‘theretrofitsource.com’.
Keep me posted!!

Quick Reply: Ebay HID Projector headlights