Sponsored by:

Ebay HID Projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:10 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
I have a set of the Chinese ACA headlights. I took them over to the Lightwerkz shop and had them look at them. Once I get the low beam receptacles removed from the assemblies, I will go back to their shop and purchase the parts I need to complete the conversion. It will be their adapters and a set of bi-xenon Morimotos. The final assembly should duplicate the best on the market at half the cost. I too can't justify the super expense of other products. I have too many things going on. I'm in the middle of a restoration and working on two vehicles at once is not easy. Lightwerkz is less than an hour's ride from my home.
I don't guess you tested the beam pattern before sending them off to get modded? I'd love to hear from someone who actually bought these with one of the HID kits to chime in. I will say, I'm willing to spend UP TO what JWM is asking for these things if it's truly a better product. I'm a little leery that they're just throwing a premium price on it to make people think it's better though.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp1588
I don't guess you tested the beam pattern before sending them off to get modded? I'd love to hear from someone who actually bought these with one of the HID kits to chime in. I will say, I'm willing to spend UP TO what JWM is asking for these things if it's truly a better product. I'm a little leery that they're just throwing a premium price on it to make people think it's better though.
I gave you a cost breakdown above. The generic Mini H1s are bi-xenon and are generally around Morimoto Mini H1 5.0 levels of performance (currently Morimoto is on 7.0). A bit more expensive option for projectors are the Supers from Lightwerkz or Acme from TRS, again around 5.0 performance but you get more of a guarantee than generics.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:30 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tsumi
I gave you a cost breakdown above. The generic Mini H1s are bi-xenon and are generally around Morimoto Mini H1 5.0 levels of performance (currently Morimoto is on 7.0). A bit more expensive option for projectors are the Supers from Lightwerkz or Acme from TRS, again around 5.0 performance but you get more of a guarantee than generics.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've hacked into headlight housings a bit. I'll consider the option.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:05 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
most are halogen projectors - even the Taiwanese ACA versions (with the H9 low beam), however, they're a lot better than stock regardless, and even putting your own HID kit in them won't be the worst thing in the world. not good enough to satisfy lighting snobs by any means, but not dangerously blinding either.
THIS!

I have the ACA version with my own HID kit and they are 10x better than stock. No issues over 5 years later.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STALION
THIS!

I have the ACA version with my own HID kit and they are 10x better than stock. No issues over 5 years later.
Just to clarify, you're running one of the ebay housings, and then put HIDs in it without changing the projectors? If so, can you post pics of the beam pattern?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:13 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Radioflyer is probably the best light modifier on the Corvette forum. I have no personal proof or frame of reference, but I’ve followed his design process whenever he shares it, leading me to believe that his product is more thoroughly engineered than any of the others and offers the most top notch options an build quality. Could that explain the price? I don’t know. From what I know of George, his products are bulletproof, perform better than any alternatives and he backs them 100%.
I’m very interested in further discussion in this thread, to see what others have done since I’m an obsessive DIY’er.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:32 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by STALION
THIS!

This is encouraging, actively watching!
Old 09-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrp1588
Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've hacked into headlight housings a bit. I'll consider the option.
No hacking involved as long as permaseal is not used to seal the projectors to the headlights. Four screws to mount projector to bracket (bracket doesn't come with screws). Unscrew four screws to remove original projector and use same four screws to mount new bracket + projector.

Originally Posted by chasboy
Radioflyer is probably the best light modifier on the Corvette forum. I have no personal proof or frame of reference, but I’ve followed his design process whenever he shares it, leading me to believe that his product is more thoroughly engineered than any of the others and offers the most top notch options an build quality. Could that explain the price? I don’t know. From what I know of George, his products are bulletproof, perform better than any alternatives and he backs them 100%.
I’m very interested in further discussion in this thread, to see what others have done since I’m an obsessive DIY’er.
I have done a Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit into ACAs. Total cost was about 650 with about three weekends of work. The Morimoto universal LED fog lights also fit almost perfectly into the C5 fog light brackets.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:36 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

No hacking involved as long as permaseal is not used to seal the projectors to the headlights. Four screws to mount projector to bracket (bracket doesn't come with screws). Unscrew four screws to remove original projector and use same four screws to mount new bracket + projector.

I have done a Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit into ACAs. Total cost was about 650 with about three weekends of work. The Morimoto universal LED fog lights also fit almost perfectly into the C5 fog light brackets.
Doesn't sound too bad. I assumed there would be some cutting involved. I'll see if I can find a walkthrough.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:34 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Not trying to be argumentative here, since I know you do good work. If it cost you $650 to do what you did, why not buy the Radioflyer unit for the same price?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:45 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

may I ask what you did to mount those projectors to the aca housings?... I have a set of fxr 3.0 (2.5") that I was going to put in my aca housings when I get around to it and from what it looks like they will need some sort of conversion bracket but I haven't been able to find one already made... I believe the only one lightwerkz has is for mini h1 projectors

Last edited by neutron82; 09-17-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by chasboy

Not trying to be argumentative here, since I know you do good work. If it cost you $650 to do what you did, why not buy the Radioflyer unit for the same price?
I did buy Radioflyer and decided they weren't at the level of performance I wanted. Radioflyer uses Acme Standard projectors, which are questionable when it comes to longevity with 55 watt HIDs. The Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 is currently the only projector in the Mini H1 size designed to handle 55 watt HIDs as far as I know. The Acme Standard is at Morimoto 3.0 performance. I didn't like the huge step that the 7.0s have, having done other 7.0 retrofits, so I decided to go all out with the FX-Rs that have a smaller step and sold my Radioflyer units to another forum member. For me, it was worth the effort and cost, since I did do a lot of night driving when winter came. Plus, doing things like this is a hobby for me.

Originally Posted by neutron82
may I ask what you did to mount those projectors to the aca housings?... I have a set of fxr 3.0 (2.5") that I was going to put in my aca housings when I get around to it and from what it looks like they will need some sort of conversion bracket but I haven't been able to find one already made... I believe the only one lightwerkz has is for mini h1 projectors
Custom built brackets made from nylon boards. There will be no physical way to seal up the headlights, but I haven't had any problems in two years and the FX-Rs are mostly sealed anyways. I can post pictures later.

Last edited by Tsumi; 09-17-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:58 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

As far as I can tell regarding the ACA-type lights I don't think the clear lens has anything to do with the beam pattern. They are all plain clear lenses. The beam, IMO, comes from the light module you install, the Morimoto bi-xenons seem to be one of the best and use low and high beams from one module. Lightwerkz has what you need to mount these to even the Chinese clear ACA's. I will be doing this conversion eventually, but at this time I'm working on another project which is taking up my time. I'm interested in what George does with the high beam reflectors since they are typically aimed too high for actual use. I am under the impression he modifies them somehow to align lower.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:49 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by striper
As far as I can tell regarding the ACA-type lights I don't think the clear lens has anything to do with the beam pattern. They are all plain clear lenses. The beam, IMO, comes from the light module you install, the Morimoto bi-xenons seem to be one of the best and use low and high beams from one module. Lightwerkz has what you need to mount these to even the Chinese clear ACA's. I will be doing this conversion eventually, but at this time I'm working on another project which is taking up my time. I'm interested in what George does with the high beam reflectors since they are typically aimed too high for actual use. I am under the impression he modifies them somehow to align lower.
You would be correct. The only thing a clear vs frosted lens would do is give you a sharp cutoff with the blue/purple bands vs a fuzzier cutoff without visible blue/purple bands.

I don't think George modifies the high beams. The bi-xenon function takes over the high beams, which is why he uses LEDs as floods.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:55 AM
dproto09
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys talking about these headlights for $339. I installed LED bulbs in my z06 and they sucks, I was thinking about just installing HID in the stock housing. I never had issues with the way HID looks but LED bulbs never looked bright enough to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Corve...xZbgUW&vxp=mtr
Old 09-19-2018, 02:59 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Those are the higher quality Taiwan ACAs. There are lower quality alternatives from China for around $170. Both use H9 halogen projectors.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:56 AM
Allieboy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Someone posted alternatives with a link from amazon I lost it tho sorry. I wish they would repost.

Get notified of new replies

To Ebay HID Projector headlights

Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

If it's really as simple as a bracket, and popping out the included projector, and popping in a replacement HID projector, I'm definitely interested in retrofitting these. I'll have to do some research this weekend.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Brackets are relatively new, came out last year I think. I've only seen one forum member do them I'll see of I can dig it up.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Those are the higher quality Taiwan ACAs. There are lower quality alternatives from China for around $170. Both use H9 halogen projectors.
If I see them side-by-side, how can I tell them apart? Why are the Taiwanese better?

Quick Reply: Ebay HID Projector headlights