Sponsored by:

Ebay HID Projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
If I see them side-by-side, how can I tell them apart? Why are the Taiwanese better?
The Taiwan ones only come in black background with chrome trim, and do not come with halos. The Chinese ones with halos are the dinky halo design where it's just two LEDs at the bottom lighting up the ring rather than LEDs all around. The Taiwan projector chrome trim seems to be thinner than the Chinese ones. The backside on the Taiwans are black while the Chinese ones are tan. The Chinese ones have the lens permasealed while the Taiwan lens are held in with butyl rubber, which is much more friendly to opening up to put halos inside if you were so inclined. The Chinese ones may or may not come with a high-4 harness with relays, while the Taiwan ones do. As for actual build quality and light output, I do not have an answer to that other than the above.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
The Taiwan ones only come in black background with chrome trim, and do not come with halos. The Chinese ones with halos are the dinky halo design where it's just two LEDs at the bottom lighting up the ring rather than LEDs all around. The Taiwan projector chrome trim seems to be thinner than the Chinese ones. The backside on the Taiwans are black while the Chinese ones are tan. The Chinese ones have the lens permasealed while the Taiwan lens are held in with butyl rubber, which is much more friendly to opening up to put halos inside if you were so inclined. The Chinese ones may or may not come with a high-4 harness with relays, while the Taiwan ones do. As for actual build quality and light output, I do not have an answer to that other than the above.
I don't really care too terribly much about the halos, especially if they are as crappy as you say. Can the projectors still be swapped out of the cheaper Chinese ones, or do I need the nicer ones?
Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Custom built brackets made from nylon boards. There will be no physical way to seal up the headlights, but I haven't had any problems in two years and the FX-Rs are mostly sealed anyways. I can post pictures later.
have an extra set of brackets you want to sell?... would foil tape work to seal them?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrp1588
I don't really care too terribly much about the halos, especially if they are as crappy as you say. Can the projectors still be swapped out of the cheaper Chinese ones, or do I need the nicer ones?
There are Chinese ones without halos. Just browse through Ebay, search 2004 Corvette projector headlights and they'll come up. 4 variants I know of, black background and chrome background, each with and without halos.

Originally Posted by neutron82
have an extra set of brackets you want to sell?... would foil tape work to seal them?
They were a one-off. I suppose foil tape would work, but you'll be taping directly to the projector. These things get really hot, so I'm not sure how long the foil tape would last. The problem is the FX-R is too big to build an enclosure around and have it all fit. Oh, you also need to make sure you have the 2.5" lens version.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:42 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Wow, I’m enjoying this thread but also starting to get a little confused about which ones are better, which to modify with Morimotos and on and on!!
One thing I do know is whoever mentioned putting HID’s behind a standard lens instead of the LED’s, don’t bother, they are just as bad.

Tsumi, I notice only one of the projector kits was DOT approved. Is that correct?
Old 09-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by chasboy
Wow, I’m enjoying this thread but also starting to get a little confused about which ones are better, which to modify with Morimotos and on and on!!
One thing I do know is whoever mentioned putting HID’s behind a standard lens instead of the LED’s, don’t bother, they are just as bad.

Tsumi, I notice only one of the projector kits was DOT approved. Is that correct?
The moment you replace the projector (and bulb), it becomes not DOT approved, so it doesn't really matter.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:05 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

The moment you replace the projector (and bulb), it becomes not DOT approved, so it doesn't really matter.
So what would be the purpose of buying the $330 or $170 units and not modifying them? Just for the ‘cool’ clear lens?
Old 09-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

You get a projector headlight that uses a H9 halogen that supposedly conforms to DOT standards. I haven't tried it, but the H9 halogen projector is supposedly significantly better than stock. BTW, DOT does not actually approve anything, manufacturers slap it on and only if there are complaints will the DOT investigate. The halogen projector is a bit better at directing HID light than the stock reflectors, but as said, once you replace the bulb with something other than what the housing is meant for, it becomes not DOT approved.

The original ACAs were used a true D1S HID projector, and were significantly more expensive than the current ones available.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:25 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Tsumi, I’m sorry I’m so full of questions.
So, if I were to buy one of the aforementioned units, my lighting should be improved.
If I left them both as I got them, would the higher priced ones provide more light? I don’t care about the halos. Since the bulbs are halogen, is it just plug and play with no ballasts?
Old 09-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

I haven't compared the two side by side, so I cannot say for certain. My best guess is that they will be on par, since they would be using the same bulb. The projector is the big question mark, but if I had to guess, I would say the Chinese one will be at least 90% as good as the Taiwan one, if not the same. I'm also not sure how much better than stock these are as I haven't done a side by side comparison, nor have I looked one up. You will still need an adapter to go from 9006 to H9, but I suspect that they should supply it. The Chinese one might not come with a High-4 harness. The Taiwan one comes with a full harness that has a relay for each low beam.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

I haven't tried it, but the H9 halogen projector is supposedly significantly better than stock.
as i've stated all over the place, yes, the H9s that some in them are still worlds better than stock
they have a larger, more-defined pattern that's relatively even from left to right, and they have a distinct cutoff

You will still need an adapter to go from 9006 to H9, but I suspect that they should supply it. The Chinese one might not come with a High-4 harness. The Taiwan one comes with a full harness that has a relay for each low beam.
the plug-&-play harness accounts for the 9006 to H9 connections & also rigs up the high-4 mod, which is nice for if you do end up swapping in HID lows (to 1. provide more light downrange & 2. keep them from power-cycling every time you flip your brights on)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
as i've stated all over the place, yes, the H9s that some in them are still worlds better than stock
they have a larger, more-defined pattern that's relatively even from left to right, and they have a distinct cutoff

the plug-&-play harness accounts for the 9006 to H9 connections & also rigs up the high-4 mod, which is nice for if you do end up swapping in HID lows (to 1. provide more light downrange & 2. keep them from power-cycling every time you flip your brights on)
Do you have a photo of the beam pattern by chance?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:18 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

They were a one-off. I suppose foil tape would work, but you'll be taping directly to the projector. These things get really hot, so I'm not sure how long the foil tape would last. The problem is the FX-R is too big to build an enclosure around and have it all fit. Oh, you also need to make sure you have the 2.5" lens version.
I can probably have something made once I get around to it but if I found some for not a whole lot of money I'd buy them just to save some time... yes I do have the 2.5" lenses
Old 09-19-2018, 10:31 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Ok, more flies into the ointment. I have the following already in place in the stock housings:Hi-4 harness from Radioflyer
9012 and 9011 bulbs.Where do I go from here? Are the bulbs worth using in some position?
Are H9’s better than what I have?
Will I need any special adapters?
In fact, I’ve seen adapters referred to above. Is that to adapt a certain bulb to another receptacle or to adapt one harness to another?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

I do not believe you can use the 9012 bulbs in the H9 low beams. The 9011 can continue to be used as high beams. The H9 plug is different from the 9006 plug, hence the adapter. The adapters should come with the headlights.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:00 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Certainly it's possible for really hands-on DIY folks to build their own for less material cost, but that time has value as well and for most offsets the money saved. I've had multiple customers spend more on inferior options trying NOT to purchase our headlights....only to buy them anyway. That being said, there are some that simply enjoy building custom stuff from scratch and have the time and money to do it. (I envy those with such options)

Note: the ebay chinese projectors have MULTIPLE issues that make them unsuited for a retrofit including:
- poor lens/housing seal resulting in severe moisture penetration
- poor quality lens optics result in low beam distortion (even with a high quality projector)
- fragile housing + glued-on projectors make removing the old projectors without damaging the housing nearly impossible. (even with special tools, I damaged several sets beyond repair before I gave up on them)
- extremely fragile mounting points prone to crumbling upon installation.

Before

After

Low beam

High beam
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 AM
jglassmaker
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Certainly it's possible for really hands-on DIY folks to build their own for less material cost, but that time has value as well and for most offsets the money saved. I've had multiple customers spend more on inferior options trying NOT to purchase our headlights....only to buy them anyway. That being said, there are some that simply enjoy building custom stuff from scratch and have the time and money to do it. (I envy those with such options)

Note: the ebay chinese projectors have MULTIPLE issues that make them unsuited for a retrofit including:
- poor lens/housing seal resulting in severe moisture penetration
- poor quality lens optics result in low beam distortion (even with a high quality projector)
- fragile housing + glued-on projectors make removing the old projectors without damaging the housing nearly impossible. (even with special tools, I damaged several sets beyond repair before I gave up on them)
- extremely fragile mounting points prone to crumbling upon installation.
You are making my Stealth V3 headlights now and can't wait. I had a set of the cheap Depo housings and DDM HIDs for almost 3 years before 3 ballasts died and 1 bulb caught fire!!

3 weeks without any headlights now until I get the new RadioFlyer ones hopefully next week if all goes well.

Get notified of new replies

To Ebay HID Projector headlights

Old 09-20-2018, 01:17 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I went to Lightwerkz with the lights I bought from e-bay which are the Chinese assemblies, according to people on the forum. This was determined by the fact that the projectors are glued in, once you remove the four little screws they still don't come out. Occasionally I work on removing them. That glue is really good. I have not given a concerted effort to get them out. Anyway the owner at Lightwerkz determined that the housings are still decent quality and even with the bulbs they came with would still be somewhat better than the stock candles glimmering out on the bumper. We were able to illuminate them in a dark room for comparison. He also was able to show me the performance differences. I've got to get this finished. I came home in the dark tonight for the first time of the season and the stock lights really suck. The stock lights on my Sonic are much better. They don't do many Vettes so he didn't mind me using my own housings. Once when I was there, they were working on a new Mustang that had halos you could change the colors on while you were driving using your phone. It really doesn't do anything for me, but it was impressive to watch anyway. Later.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:27 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

George, I can appreciate the points you have made but at this point I'm going to proceed with my project. I don't have much money invested at this point and with the other project I am working on there is no way I have $600 to spend on headlights. So here goes.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:32 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Have they tried using this to remove the glue? https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php...rmatrator.html

Quick Reply: Ebay HID Projector headlights