Sponsored by:

2002 C5 base console and DD radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 AM
Katana2000
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 C5 base console and DD radio upgrade

Good morning all. I just took delivery of my first vette. I would like to get the modified center console and a DD unit to upgrade the outdated system. I am looking for a DD unit that has the follow options.
1. touch screen
2. GPS NAV
3. USB input
4. Backup camera

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to the best place to get these items from and all other parts and extras I need to buy to make my installation a success.

Thank you for your time.
The following users liked this post:
trentrent (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:59 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

What you want to do is perfectly feasible and very rewarding.

For a Double-DIN bezel, Vettenuts offers one that is topnotch, but not inexpensive. There's a less expensive option, although it doesn't preserve the OEM look-and-feel, from Metra. You may want to compare them before making a decision.

Regarding the headunit, these are basically the main options available. I suggest Option 4 as the way to go:
  1. Replace just the headunit, leaving the rest of the system intact, using either one of these adapters:
  2. Keep the headunit, but replace everything else adding a multichannel external amp driving new speakers through new wires by using
  3. Replace just the 4 twiddlers with 2-way coaxial speakers leaving the rest of the system intact
  4. Combine 1 and 3
  5. Take everything out and replace all from scratch

That being said, without a doubt, the easiest and least expensive way to upgrade the system with the more bang for your buck is new speakers that can be bolted on in place of the factory ones, keeping the rest of the system intact (Option 3).

The C5 OEM speakers do not include any real tweeter. Bose used 4 plain-cone (paper) speakers to handle high and mid frequencies and called them "twiddlers". That's why you can make a big improvement by replacing them with a 2-way coaxial design.

OEM C5 Speaker Sizes:
-Front
Twiddler: 3.5"
Subwoofer: 8"

-Rear Twiddler
Coupe: 6.5"
FRC/Z06/Convertible: 5.25"

For bolt-on speaker upgrades, get 3.5" 2-way coaxial speakers to replace the doors' twiddlers and 2-way coaxials of the right size for the rear. Don't touch the OEM subwoofers.

Considering that the OEM Bose twiddlers are 2 ohms, the JBL GX Series @ 2.3 ohms is an excellent replacement. These speakers have a soft dome tweeter, which should deliver a smooth sound with a wide dispersion pattern. Add to that the Harman-Proprietary Tweeter Deflector, that according to JBL "acts as a waveguide, allowing for an angled, rotating speaker, which optimizes the off-axis sound performance. Because all cars are designed differently, this allows impeccable sound to travel throughout all locations in the cabin".

JBL GX Series 2-way car speakers:
  • GX302 (3½")
  • GX502 (5¼")
  • GX602 (6½")

Not only they are from the same manufacturer, but they all belong to the same line. This should reasonably assure you they have the same timbre.

You are going to need
<b>this kit</b> this kit
as well. One kit will do both rears.

Independent confirmation that upgrading the 4 twiddlers makes a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade.

As for installation tips, it is very important to make sure the new speakers are in phase with each other, and more importantly, in phase with the door subwoofers. Otherwise, you might experience sound cancellation, resulting in tinny sound and lack of presence.

Using the above mentioned adapter harness to install new rear speakers should take care of this for you, however, the factory connectors for the "front" OEM Bose 3½" twiddlers are "spade" ones and they do follow Bose's standard, which is the opposite of what aftermarket manufacturers use.

To properly connect your new front speakers, you will need to cut the factory spade connectors and crimp new ones following the "normal" standard (reversed in relation to Bose), or create your own adapter harnesses if you don't want to cut and crimp the front OEM wires

Take a look at this Post for more details and tips on how to proceed.
​​

Last edited by GCG; 05-23-2019 at 02:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GCG:
Beer:30 (05-09-2019), jrob56 (05-09-2019), Nate Blankenheim (06-11-2019), trentrent (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Katana2000
Heel & Toe

I did look at both consoles and like vettenutz better. I am not going to do speakers right now, I just want to know what head unit to get and what other adaptors and or plugs I would need to fit the new console.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:50 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Katana2000
I did look at both consoles and like vettenutz better. I am not going to do speakers right now, I just want to know what head unit to get and what other adaptors and or plugs I would need to fit the new console.
I gave you the adapters as well in my previous post. Then it's Option 1 for you.

Of course, it's your decision but the speakers recommended above are less than $100 for all 4 of them and do make a significant difference.

Last edited by GCG; 05-09-2019 at 02:53 PM.
trentrent (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 02:59 PM
trentrent
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much Power does Aftermarket Stereo need to power the 4 non-amplfied speakers?

Very informative post, thank you.

One question, I am upgrading the Bose head unit to a Double Din unit and was wondering how much power the four non-amplified speakers require to sound proper (I'm keeping the existing Bose Amplified door speakers)
Thanks in advance!
Trent

Originally Posted by GCG
What you want to do is perfectly feasible and very rewarding.

For a Double-DIN bezel, Vettenuts offers one that is topnotch, but not inexpensive. There's a less expensive option, although not at the same quality level, from Metra. You may want to compare them before making a decision.

Regarding the headunit, these are basically the main options available. I suggest Option 4 as the way to go:
  1. Replace just the headunit, leaving the rest of the system intact, using either one of these adapters:
  2. Keep the headunit, but replace everything else adding a multichannel external amp driving new speakers through new wires by using
  3. Replace just the 4 twiddlers with 2-way coaxial speakers leaving the rest of the system intact
  4. Combine 1 and 3
  5. Take everything out and replace all from scratch

That being said, without a doubt, the easiest and least expensive way to upgrade the system with the more bang for your buck is new speakers that can be bolted on in place of the factory ones, keeping the rest of the system intact.

The C5 OEM speakers do not include any real tweeter. Bose used 4 plain-cone (paper) speakers to handle high and mid frequencies and called them "twiddlers". That's why you can make a big improvement by replacing them with a 2-way coaxial design.

OEM C5 Speaker Sizes:
-Front
Twiddler: 3.5"
Subwoofer: 8"

-Rear Twiddler
Coupe: 6.5"
FRC/Z06/Convertible: 5.25"

For bolt-on speaker upgrades, get 3.5" 2-way coaxial speakers to replace the doors' twiddlers and 2-way coaxials of the right size for the rear. Don't touch the OEM subwoofers.

Considering that the OEM Bose twiddlers are 2 ohms, the JBL GX Series @ 2.3 ohms is an excellent replacement. These speakers have a soft dome tweeter, which should deliver a smooth sound with a wide dispersion pattern. Add to that the Harman-Proprietary Tweeter Deflector, that according to JBL "acts as a waveguide, allowing for an angled, rotating speaker, which optimizes the off-axis sound performance. Because all cars are designed differently, this allows impeccable sound to travel throughout all locations in the cabin".

JBL GX Series 2-way car speakers:
  • GX302 (3½")
  • GX502 (5¼")
  • GX602 (6½")

Not only they are from the same manufacturer, but they all belong to the same line. This should reasonably assure you they have the same timbre.

You are going to need this kit as well. One kit will do both rears.

Independent confirmation that upgrading the 4 twiddlers makes a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade.

As for installation tips, it is very important to make sure the new speakers are in phase with each other, and more importantly, in phase with the door subwoofers. Otherwise, you might experience sound cancellation, resulting in tinny sound and lack of presence.

Using the above mentioned adapter harness to install new rear speakers should take care of this for you, however, the factory connectors for the "front" OEM Bose 3½" twiddlers are "spade" ones and they do follow Bose's standard, which is the opposite of what aftermarket manufacturers use.

To properly connect your new front speakers, you will need to cut the factory spade connectors and crimp new ones following the "normal" standard (reversed in relation to Bose), or create your own adapter harnesses if you don't want to cut and crimp the front OEM wires

Take a look at this Post for more details and tips on how to proceed.
​​
Old 05-09-2019, 03:28 PM
jrob56
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Dumb question on 1, what is the RAP feature the Axxess preserves?
Old 05-09-2019, 03:33 PM
Katana2000
Heel & Toe

Yes I would also like to know this. RAP?
Old 05-09-2019, 03:34 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Just an FYI for everyone on this thread. The JBL GX302 and 502 are no longer available. JBL now sells the same speakers under 3020 (GX302) and 5020 (GX502). There is apparently some old stock still available with the old item numbers... Based on GCG's info I'm ordering replacement speakers for my '98... Thanks...
jrob56 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 03:45 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

RAP - Retained Accessory Power - explained in a youtube video...

jrob56 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Katana2000
Heel & Toe

Any suggestions on Head units that have these capabilities?

1. touch screen
2. GPS NAV
3. USB input
4. Backup camera

And will fit with the Vettenutz replacement console?
Old 05-10-2019, 03:48 AM
dskinsler83
Drifting

Received 322 Likes on 223 Posts

Check out crutchfield. Boss, Axxerra, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine. Most all stereo manufactures offer these features in a dd unit.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:13 AM
ron993
Intermediate

Check out this pioneer https://www.cartoys.com/pioneer-avh-w4400nex I just had it put in my vert. It has a detachable face and the face can tilt. With the top down the screen is mostly washed out, a few clicks of the tilt out and the screen is perfectly clear. Carplay, android auto. It was on sale for $499 a month ago, that is a lot of bang for the buck
Old 05-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Dave's 1st Corvette
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been very happy with the Kenwood DNX893S which is reviewed at length here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...9-dnx893s.html
Old 05-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Tenshots1
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I just installed an XAV-AX100 Sony double din a week ago with all of the features you have mentioned. Looks great, and is a very simple system to use. Anyone could get in the car and figure out how to navigate it. When using carplay, it uses the iphone's GPS apps and puts them on the screen. Head unit cost just over $300 from Amazon.

My favorite part about this unit is that you dont have to cut up the corvette shelving in the car for it to fit since the base of the stereo is only the size of a single din.

Last edited by Tenshots1; 05-10-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Chase Farrow
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ron993
Check out this pioneer https://www.cartoys.com/pioneer-avh-w4400nex I just had it put in my vert. It has a detachable face and the face can tilt. With the top down the screen is mostly washed out, a few clicks of the tilt out and the screen is perfectly clear. Carplay, android auto. It was on sale for $499 a month ago, that is a lot of bang for the buck
Did you retain the Bose sound system? And if so, did you use the InstXSVI-2004? I'm having some trouble finding wiring information on my AVH-W4400NEX, so I'm struggling a bit.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:48 PM
ron993
Intermediate

I have the Bose right now, I am not sure which adapter they used. It is being redone in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:59 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chase Farrow
...did you use the InstXSVI-2004? I'm having some trouble finding wiring information on my AVH-W4400NEX, so I'm struggling a bit.
Here you have both installation guides:
  • XSVI-2004
  • AVH-W4400NEX

If you have any questions, let us know
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
120SVI2004.pdf (325.3 KB, 90 views)

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 C5 base console and DD radio upgrade

Old 05-18-2019, 07:52 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trentrent
Very informative post, thank you.

One question, I am upgrading the Bose head unit to a Double Din unit and was wondering how much power the four non-amplified speakers require to sound proper (I'm keeping the existing Bose Amplified door speakers)
Thanks in advance!
Trent
@trentrent Hi, Trent!

Let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner. For some reason your post fell through the cracks and I just saw it now.

The OEM headunit's built-in 4-channel amp is about 15-18 watt rms/ch, so look for a new headunit with no less than that (18 x 4 = 72 watts RMS total). This shouldn't be a problem for any modern Double DIN unit, just make sure you look at RMS values and not Peak or Instant ones

Last edited by GCG; 05-18-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:11 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Where are the twiddlers?
Old 08-19-2019, 07:13 PM
dskinsler83
Drifting

Received 322 Likes on 223 Posts

On the door speakers

Quick Reply: 2002 C5 base console and DD radio upgrade