Sponsored by:

My C5 clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 04:29 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
So I ordered this new rear main cover with seal already installed and gasket. Seemed to be highly recommended by the reviews but it came with zero instructions. Anyone install one like this without using the alignment tool? Assuming I tighten all upper bolts first, then the two lower but want to be sure. Can anyone confirm this process?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F6...ws_feature_div
Yes. Same as if you were to use the tool, but in this case you're using the seal to center the cover.
Old 09-05-2022, 05:25 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Yes. Same as if you were to use the tool, but in this case you're using the seal to center the cover.

Ok great thanks for confirming. I really didn’t ‘plan’ for the rear main seal installation when I got everything set for this clutch install. I assumed it was a simple process then the tool required kinda threw me. Read that this piece was well recommended so ordered it and just came in. Really didn’t want to rush this step since I’ve heard of so many rear main horror stories. Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2022, 05:35 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Ok great thanks for confirming. I really didn’t ‘plan’ for the rear main seal installation when I got everything set for this clutch install. I assumed it was a simple process then the tool required kinda threw me. Read that this piece was well recommended so ordered it and just came in. Really didn’t want to rush this step since I’ve heard of so many rear main horror stories. Thanks again.
NP, I've done it this way on other motors too where the tool wasn't an option.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:01 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Just installed it. You were right, I wasn’t sure exactly what that white plastic piece did but yes it did self center the cover perfectly. I had the cover bolts on ‘finger tight’ using just a deep socket in my hand. It went on far enough to pop off the disc, and centered it correctly. Then installed the two long lower pan bolts. Got them lightly tight, which then pulled the cover all the way back to the block. Tightened those to 112 in lbs. Then tightened all cover bolts a bit at a time, then finished them at 18 ft lbs.

I probably overthought this whole procedure but with no detailed instructions I was pretty leary of just throwing this thing on and later finding a leak. Process went well and all good now. Now I just have to put everything else back together this weekend lol.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:52 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 254 Posts

Just installed it. You were right, I wasn’t sure exactly what that white plastic piece did but yes it did self center the cover perfectly. I had the cover bolts on ‘finger tight’ using just a deep socket in my hand. It went on far enough to pop off the disc, and centered it correctly. Then installed the two long lower pan bolts. Got them lightly tight, which then pulled the cover all the way back to the block. Tightened those to 112 in lbs. Then tightened all cover bolts a bit at a time, then finished them at 18 ft lbs.

I probably overthought this whole procedure but with no detailed instructions I was pretty leary of just throwing this thing on and later finding a leak. Process went well and all good now. Now I just have to put everything else back together this weekend lol.
I wish there was a picture but guess too late, I’m trying to imagine what you are describing.

Anyways you don’t need a alignment tool, just buy the whole engine piece that is kind of like a timing cover with crank seal already installed, but it’s for the back of engine, the rear seal?
Old 09-06-2022, 07:16 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
I wish there was a picture but guess too late, I’m trying to imagine what you are describing.

Anyways you don’t need a alignment tool, just buy the whole engine piece that is kind of like a timing cover with crank seal already installed, but it’s for the back of engine, the rear seal?

I installed this. I guess you don’t ‘have’ to install it with the plastic guide it came with but it definitely made it simpler.

Old 09-08-2022, 01:01 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

All cleaned up and ready to go back in, hoping the reinstall goes smoother, going to be putting it back together on Saturday.

The following users liked this post:
CorvetteMike2024 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 06:18 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Just a final update for the record, I finally finished up getting it all back together today. Everything is running perfectly…..I was soooo relieved when I started it and backed out of the garage with no oil leaks, no strange noises and clutch worked perfectly. . Omg what a relief. I had originally planned on completing this job over a 4 day Labor Day weekend but didn’t have everything planned out as well as I thought I did.

The biggest holdup for me was the rear main seal replacement. I planned on doing it while I was in there but didn’t read up on exactly what was involved. When I got to that point I was a bit stumped, I thought all I was replacing was the crank seal, had no idea there was en entire cover to come off at the same time. Ended up ordering a complete new cover with seals which delayed the project. Got that done last weekend along with the new flywheel/ clutch/pp. Then reinstalled the whole drivetrain (alone ) That went fairly smooth all things considered.

So finally today I had off and wrapped up ALL the loose ends: Rear parking brake brackets (serious pita) and hooked up all the rest of the suspension parts and exhaust. Reinstalled headers, put interior parts back together then bled the clutch, that was really easy with the remote bleeder I installed, definitely a must have.

Anyway…..WOW what a job. HUGE relief that nothing went wrong. I can not even imagine doing that again if something got messed up. By far the overall most complex automotive project I’ve ever taken on….
The following 2 users liked this post by MY03C5Z:
CorvetteMike2024 (09-18-2022), Prop Joe (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 06:21 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Just a final update for the record, I finally finished up getting it all back together today. Everything is running perfectly…..I was soooo relieved when I started it and backed out of the garage with no oil leaks, no strange noises and clutch worked perfectly. . Omg what a relief. I had originally planned on completing this job over a 4 day Labor Day weekend but didn’t have everything planned out as well as I thought I did.

The biggest holdup for me was the rear main seal replacement. I planned on doing it while I was in there but didn’t read up on exactly what was involved. When I got to that point I was a bit stumped, I thought all I was replacing was the crank seal, had no idea there was en entire cover to come off at the same time. Ended up ordering a complete new cover with seals which delayed the project. Got that done last weekend along with the new flywheel/ clutch/pp. Then reinstalled the whole drivetrain (alone ) That went fairly smooth all things considered.

So finally today I had off and wrapped up ALL the loose ends: Rear parking brake brackets (serious pita) and hooked up all the rest of the suspension parts and exhaust. Reinstalled headers, then bled the clutch, that was really easy with the remote bleeder I installed, definitely a must have. Anyway…..WOW what a job. HUGE relief that nothing went wrong. I can not even imagine doing that again if something got messed up. By far the most complex automotive project I’ve ever taken on….
Gotta up the ante for the next project, you're just getting started! Congrats. I'm still relieved I got mine all buttoned up and that was like a month ago.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:43 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Gotta up the ante for the next project, you're just getting started! Congrats. I'm still relieved I got mine all buttoned up and that was like a month ago.

Lol I know right. I’ve done other ‘big’ jobs before, biggest prior to this was pulling the engine/trans out of my 97 z28 years ago. That was a pretty big job, but I think this clutch job tops it in total complexity and amount of labor. Holy crap that was a lot of work.

This project would actually be quite a bit easier if you don’t replace the rear main. If I would have skipped that I wouldn’t have needed to pull the bellhousing…..that was a serious pita. Also the pilot bearing was a real bitch to get out. Anyway, both are new now, which is a big relief. Car drives great now, the new clutch feels really smooth.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:53 PM
KAGEY228
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well done! After a clutch install, torque tube rebuild, and then a transmission rebuild, if anything major happens I think that I will take my wife's suggestion and buy a C7. Anyway, I am now looking forward to some fall touring. Enjoy!!
Old 09-21-2022, 10:20 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Maybe I missed it but what flywheel did you use?

You said at beginning going to use LS7 clutch and pressure plate.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:38 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Maybe I missed it but what flywheel did you use?

You said at beginning going to use LS7 clutch and pressure plate.

Complete LS7 clutch assembly. Used the LS7 flywheel too. It’s a bit heavier than the LS6 one, I think it’s 7 lbs heavier.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:43 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

I am pretty sure this is the LS7 kit, can you verify the part #?

Does it seem to have less get up and go, people say the extra weight makes them slower?

Old 09-21-2022, 10:51 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

I ordered mine from Scoggin Dickey, this was their description and part number:

SDPC LS7 Clutch Kit - Pressure Plate, Disc & Flywheel
Item#SDLS7CK

I saw a clutch kit on Amazon for less $$ but I wasn’t sure if that was a genuine GM item or some sort of knockoff so I avoided it.

Yes you can feel a bit of a difference in the off throttle response, not quite as quick to rev as it was before it feels but nothing serious imo. Big difference in grip now from my old stock LS6 clutch, that is more noticeable to me.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:01 AM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,031 Likes on 654 Posts

I am pretty sure this is the LS7 kit, can you verify the part #?

Does it seem to have less get up and go, people say the extra weight makes them slower?
That is the typical LS7 clutch kit.
I have that exact kit off RockAuto in my '01Z. In neutral it revs up marginally slower, and while driving/accelerating it's not perceivable IMO.

The extra flywheel weight is noticeable during install though especially if you're not using a lift.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:11 AM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

So finally today I had off and wrapped up ALL the loose ends: Rear parking brake brackets (serious pita) and hooked up all the rest of the suspension parts and exhaust. Reinstalled headers, put interior parts back together then bled the clutch, that was really easy with the remote bleeder I installed, definitely a must have.

Anyway…..WOW what a job. HUGE relief that nothing went wrong. I can not even imagine doing that again if something got messed up. By far the overall most complex automotive project I’ve ever taken on….
so, would you do it again, or pay someone?
Old 09-21-2022, 12:15 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by JayhawkCPA
so, would you do it again, or pay someone?

Since it worked fine and I didn’t have to go back and redo anything, I suppose I’d do it again. I pretty much decided if something went wrong, I wasn’t doing this again though, I was going to take it somewhere to get it straightened out. Like I said, this is a BIG job, but it is definitely doable in a home garage without a lift.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:18 PM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

Since it worked fine and I didn’t have to go back and redo anything, I suppose I’d do it again. I pretty much decided if something went wrong, I wasn’t doing this again though, I was going to take it somewhere to get it straightened out. Like I said, this is a BIG job, but it is definitely doable in a home garage without a lift.
Gotcha, well done!

Quick Reply: My C5 clutch install