Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor and braking change.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 12:17 PM
jdewolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Any coatings will be burned/worn off on the contact patch, it's definitely useful to prevent rust on the non-contact portions of the rotor.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:47 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,328 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Just like many suspension options, i.e. sway bars, coilovers vs. shocks, adjustable end links, etc., there are many braking options. The OEM brake components perform well, however the cost of upgrades varies depending on how much you want to improve both performance and looks and how you intend to drive the car.

I recently upgraded to the Wilwood Aero 6 and Aero 4 big brake kit when I swapped in my new wheels. I never really liked the looks of the OEM calibers, plus the rear OEM calipers only covered 2/3 of the rotor braking surface on the larger brake kits. So after running the Z07 Ceramic rotors and brakes with the enclosed piston calipers on my 2019 Z06, I decided to upgrade my 2004 C5 convertible to a similar type set up minus the higher cost ceramic rotors. So far so good as it all ties into with the other suspension and performance upgrades.

Good luck!

Those wheels are insane! How’s the ride with short sidewalls?

Ps. Stock brakes are fine for street driving. Your reflexes play a bigger role.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:23 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vette4fl
Those wheels are insane! How’s the ride with short sidewalls?

Ps. Stock brakes are fine for street driving. Your reflexes play a bigger role.
The ride is great but I have to give credit to the LG GT2 coilovers and Pfadt extended end links and sway bars. I’ve been running 19” wheels front and rear since 2012 and the current set of Forgeline SC1s are matched with Michelin Pilot Sport non run-flat tires.

The OEM brakes were fine for street driving but since I was upgrading everything else and needed new pads anyway, I removed the Baer Eradispeed +2 kit I installed back in 2012 and gave them to a friend who tracks his C5Z to kill them off.

Since the OEM rear calipers did not cover the full surface of the larger rotors, I decided to just swap out everything for the Wilwood kits. Car was lowered after I dialed in the coilovers and I’m very happy with the tighter ride even at the lowered height. I navigate some nasty road dips in my area and it’s a night and day difference how well the coilovers perform.

The following users liked this post:
vette4fl (04-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Rotor and braking change.