Sponsored by:

Reverse is a pain in the a$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
BigTMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse is a pain in the a$$

My 2003 M6 frequently will not go into reverse without pulling a little in a forward gear to..what...shake it loose? Happens about 30 percent of the time. Will a new shifter help this or is is a problem with the transaxle?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Phil97SVT
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine usually requires shifting to first than to reverse.
Phil
Old 10-25-2004, 12:23 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I never had a problem like this with my 2003 MN6. As soon as the power is off or you are moving a solenoid will lock the reverse gate.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:24 PM
BAND1T
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil97SVT
Mine usually requires shifting to first than to reverse.
Phil
If I just shift into 1st or 2nd, then into Reverse its good, and changing the shifter won't matter. If I park it in the garage, I usually just shift it into Reverse before I get out, then there is no problem when I get back into it.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:24 PM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

All 3 of my manual cars do that at some point in time. Don't know exactly why, but no biggie. Sometimes, I even have to go to 2nd, then up to first. Once again, no biggie.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:45 PM
BigTMan
Instructor

Pssttt.. listen guys. my wife won't let me blow any more money this year on mods.....unless it was a saftey issue
Old 10-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Clutchdog
Intermediate

my honda is the same way...it only has 39000kms on it. I would say it is generally normal with the way trannys are built.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:00 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BigTMan
My 2003 M6 frequently will not go into reverse without pulling a little in a forward gear to..what...shake it loose? Happens about 30 percent of the time. Will a new shifter help this or is is a problem with the transaxle?

... are you talking about from a start? or just driving down the road?
Old 10-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Pssttt.. listen guys. my wife won't let me blow any more money this year on mods.....unless it was a saftey issue
This is most definately a safety issue and requires the installation of an aftermarket shifter to correct. GM has been supressing the info but this condition is only cured by the addition of a short throw shifter.

How'd I do?
Old 10-25-2004, 03:04 PM
BigTMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neablas
... are you talking about from a start? or just driving down the road?

I pull forward. Stop to back into a parking spot. Sometimes will not go in to reverse.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:04 PM
CAJUNY2KC5
Le Mans Master

See if this works.......

"The Federal Department of Corvettes has, on occasion recommended use of Hurst shifters for replacement of stock in those cases where the driver has difficulty getting it in reverse. Of course, if you can't get it in any other gear you should get out of the car and try a motel."

....or something like that.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:12 PM
BAND1T
Burning Brakes

I pull forward. Stop to back into a parking spot. Sometimes will not go in to reverse.
That's totally different than anything I have ever had happen to me. I only get it once on start-up when it's cold, never anytime after that. You may have a problem with your syncro's.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:39 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE=Mark 84ltblu]This is most definately a safety issue and requires the installation of an aftermarket shifter to correct. GM has been supressing the info but this condition is only cured by the addition of a short throw shifter.
[QUOTE]
B&M Ripper made the condition worse in my 00 M6. Plus 1st is a PITA too.
Fred K.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:47 PM
BigTMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark 84ltblu
This is most definately a safety issue and requires the installation of an aftermarket shifter to correct. GM has been supressing the info but this condition is only cured by the addition of a short throw shifter.

How'd I do?

Most excellant!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:50 PM
rob&dalevance
Racer

Sama as the other guys on here... Go to 1st or 2nd before reverse, and it wont bind... It did this to both my 75 and my 98
Old 10-25-2004, 08:41 PM
drosenth
Instructor

Same problem on my 2001 - reverse really takes an extra push to get it into gear...otherwise it pops out and makes that very ugly grinding sound.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:46 PM
BWP 5P
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Hmmm.......synchros, gears, shafts.....they do need to be aligned before they all engage

1st then reverse will get it every time....UNLESS you have a problem

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse is a pain in the a$$

Old 10-26-2004, 04:18 AM
DocPapillon
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

2nd gear then reverse club member!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Cochemarman
Racer

Now don't take this to personally, but the MN6 in the Corvette is not the best gearbox in the world, by a country mile.

The reverse on mine is just the pits. It will frequently feel like it's gone in and then as I let the clutch out I get that wonderful grinding noise of a not quite engaged gear. Obviously this only ever happens when someone is looking at me, and the more people that are looking the more likely it is to happen . . .

Basically, the further I drive it the better it becomes, but it'll never be good. I have changed to a round gear **** recently and this has made things much better. Being a Brit and of a certain age I am more used to such a configuration and the 2 million miles I have driven in manual cars means that you can get stuck in your ways a bit . .

I shall be installing a Hurst or billet shifter as soon as the Finance Director (she who must be obeyed) will sanction it, but in the meantime I try to be careful.

Could be worse, I could own a TVR.

Old 10-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Doo
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

After your year Corvette was built, GM determined a flaw in the linkage and it's location. Due to no reported injuries, GM determined a recall was not possible but GM's statistics were flawed. Because of the location several systems were affected including the air intake, exhaust and most importantly the wheels. The linkage was directed in an area that reduced the size of the exhaust which in turn GM downsized the intake thus causing the car to lack air intake and exhaust. This could easily cause an engine malfunction that would catastrophically fail and send chards of debris through the passenger side firewall into the passenger seat. This is easily remedied, you need to install an aftermarket exhaust and intake that breathe better but this can only be accomplished by making room for these items. Stock wheels and rims can be exchanged for CCW 505a's and aftermarket tires which will leave the necessary space. This is a small investment into making this car safer and avoiding huge repair bills and possible injury to anyone in the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: Reverse is a pain in the a$$