Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed... convertible owners.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 04:24 PM
smdorsey
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help needed... convertible owners.

Just noticed last night that the passenger window is not tucking under the convertible top when fully rolled to the top. The window is overlapping the canvas on the corner of the window and is beginning to wear the canvas arrrrgggggghhhh! Anyone experience this problem and/or have any suggesstions. Thanx.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:35 PM
XTrooper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smdorsey
Just noticed last night that the passenger window is not tucking under the convertible top when fully rolled to the top. The window is overlapping the canvas on the corner of the window and is beginning to wear the canvas arrrrgggggghhhh! Anyone experience this problem and/or have any suggesstions. Thanx.
Start checking C5 convertibles. Nearly every damn one of them has one or more frayed corners. My driver's side corner is frayed and the passenger side is starting to show signs of wear. The windows can supposedly be adjusted to prevent this, but I've seen a whole lot of worn tops so I don't know.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Vector
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by smdorsey
I have a 98 and mine's on the Drivers door - the top rearward corner. I found a 'tip in/out' ajustment but have not ventured into trying it out yet. Mine seems to be worst in the cooler months and no problem at all in the summer - Go figure! I'm all for help too>
Old 10-26-2004, 04:44 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened on my drivers side when the car was new!! All the dealer could do was adjust the door. Since then it has been o.k. The top isn't in bad shape from it though I should have had it replaced.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Baetke
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got a 2004, same problem. Doesn't seem to be any cure looking at the bottom of the door, only tip in or out adjustments. Looks like door hinges have to be adjusted.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Thunder7
Race Director

Mine did it as well in the same spot. I had the top replaced under warranty, and I have kept and eye on the new top (about 2 years now). I see some rubbing, but I try to keep the windows down now when closing the door. Which isnt hard since the top is down most of the time when I drive it anyway.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:18 PM
hilton head 50th
Advanced

Default window adjustment

Never adjust door hinges. There are two places to adjust inside the door. Go to John Dennington.com for details.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:22 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

When I bought my 99 used, it did that, and had worn a small hole in the edge of the fabric. In addition to the window adjustment, you can adjust the top as well (and it's easier). Fold the top up to the point where the front section is vertical. You will see an adjustment screw on the horizontal section pointing towards the front of the car. Adjust that (I can't remember in or out) to alter the profile of the top. That might cure it.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Autoworker
Safety Car

I took my 98 to Bud's Chevy which services and sells a lot of Vettes. They move the window glass forward in the door. Cost around $100.00 to have done , but well worth it.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Sponge Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Sorry to hear this, No issues with my 03
Old 10-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Slamnd Vert
Pro

i had the same prob on my 99 vert..you can adjust the window to help the problem but from expeirience,its the vert top stretching and breaking in.over time the corners seem to lay down and thats when the corners are hit by the door glass.i replace my top and the problem went away..for now!!! if any of you guys are looking to get a replacement top,i have a gm oak top that is brand new..i will sell it for 430.00 shipped if you guys are in need of one..to not screw up the thread,you can e-mail me directly...good luck to everyone with this on going problem..joe
Old 10-26-2004, 09:23 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

I just noticed this on my vert about 3 days ago. I can hear a "thwap" as I open the door.

Being a bodyshop guy, adjusting the glass a hair forward will cure it... just doesn't bother me enough to mess with it.

I'm sure when the corners get worn, I'll be pissed I didn't adjust it.

Mark
Old 10-26-2004, 09:29 PM
scoaman
Racer

99 Vert leaked when you washed the it, by the middle of window and I don't ever spray the car. I use the hose with no nozzle or force and it leaked. My 04 does the same. Don't know if the 04 leaks in the rain as I haven't been caught yet, but the 99 leaked both times caught in the rain.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:35 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

nope, I checked this a while ago. Mine are exactly where they should be. Sorry

now my clutch on the otherhand .. whoa.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:41 PM
smdorsey
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanx a ton folks... this board is incredible. Crazy though... my wife returned tonight from work and the passenger glass was not overlapping the top. My conclusion is that the top must move slightly... it was quite windy here in Vegas today. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and report any success with your suggestions.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmm...I need to check my '04 vert. I have not noticed the canvas top wear.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:38 PM
TorchRedRaider
Racer

Read the following link for adjusting the top.
http://www.c5forum.com/cgi-bin/ultim...ic/1/2213.html
5th pic, not the yellow arrow, but the set screw and jam nut below it.
What you want to adjust are the tension and set screws on either side of the top frame where it attaches to the body. This will cause the top to have a tighter strech and lift the edge just a bit for the window to clear properly. Still catches on occasion, but that is probably due to relative humidity and the fabric relaxing a bit.
It fixed my issue. I have also played with the tip in, but for some reason, that adjustment made little change.

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed... convertible owners.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:47 AM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

no such problem with my 03 but i did have this issue with my 00
i had the top replaced under warranty
no adjustments corrected the situation
Old 10-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Oldad
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Now I gota go check mine closer
I use window valet (which I Love) most of time. It runs the windows up into the rubber seal and allows for less door slamming to get it closed. I drove with top down most of summer about 7K mi.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:41 AM
BlueDragon
Drifting

This is a very old problem. Had it back in 98 with mine. Checked all adjustments doors and window and they were at spec. GM paid to have the top clearenced. They cut and re-stiched around the window. That was 113K miles ago, been perfect every since. Don't just go in and start making adjustments to the window. Measure twice cut once!

The upholstry shop did a perfect job, could not tell. Maybe because the owner had a vert as well and had done a lot of them.

Quick Reply: Help needed... convertible owners.