C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

***Realtime LSx PCM Tuning Available Soon!*** (photos & details)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 06:06 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ***Realtime LSx PCM Tuning Available Soon!*** (photos & details)

DTE is pleased to announce our new business partnership with Craig Moates of Moates.Net to bring you the tuning industry's first real-time, PCM emulator that enables on-the-fly PCM calibration/tuning for the LSx-powered GM cars and trucks, called~ The RoadRunner!

Its overall design was derived from founder, Craig Moates- who’s innovative EFI software/hardware products are already well-known in the aftermarket tuning industry and can be found on his website www.moates.net. For those of you unfamiliar with him, Craig has been around for a long time providing custom ECM/PCM/EEPROM EFI products and services to tuning professionals, enthusiasts and novices alike, where he has made a pretty good name for himself in the aftermarket tuning industry. As a bonus, he’s just an all-around, super nice guy we’ve come to know pretty well and he’s very knowledgeable with many EFI-based vehicle variants.

The core culmination of engineering of over a year for this product came from Craig Moates, the folks at EFI Live and Tunercat, with real-world application assistance from professional tuners as DTE, Thunder Racing and Jesse Bubb (wait4me). We will be the beta testor for the C5 Corvette specific leg of the venture and we’re very excited to be involved, so we’ll be reporting back here (amoung other boards) to let everyone know our professional opinion of how it works, fitment, quality and functionality. Hopefully Craig will chime in here as well to answer help any questions folks may have.

We received one of the prototype systems here the other day and it looks like the initial kit consists of a modified LS1-based PCM w/ a weather proof external communication port, a weather proof USB cable to route inside the car to your laptop, 3 Moates.Net decals, 1 Moates.Net pen and soon-to-be-released picture-enhanced, vehicle installation instructions that will be written by DTE, specifically for the C5 Corvette. We’re not sure what software package it will include, pricing or current availability, so we’ll let Craig answer those questions. His website can be found at www.moates.net and he'll most likely chime in here to help as well.

In a nutshell, here’s how it works~
The RoadRunner is an LS1-style PCM that has been retrofitted with a Realtime Emulator which allows you to make tuning adjustments on the fly while the vehicle is running! No longer will you need to turn the vehicle off and take minutes of downtime to modify calibrations. No more crossing your fingers every time you reflash the PCM. Changes are instantaneous, and take place through a weather-proof USB cable which can be routed into the cab of the vehicle (for driveability and idle tuning) or to a shop cart (for dyno tuning). The vehicle will respond to the changes immediately. When you're done tuning, you can save the file and flash it to the original PCM. Or, you can operate the vehicle continuously from the RoadRunner without any problem.

Plug the USB cable in, open the program, load the calibration file into the program, connect to the RoadRunner link, upload the file to the RoadRunner (about 12 seconds), enable the synchronization, and from that point on, any changes you make will take effect immediately! Whenever you reach a stopping point, just save your file, close the program, and disconnect the cable. You can drive the vehicle throughout the tuning session and any time thereafter. Seamless!

You can use any scantool, including EFI Live FlashScan. The scanning can be performed via the OBD2 port in parallel simultaneously while the tuning adjustments are made on the RoadRunner. Integrated wideband data is also very useful, and should be considered for the serious tuner.

We’re very excited to be working with these folks and we’re confident that this product will make life *A LOT* easier for professional tuners as well as, DIY-tuners, to properly calibrate different cars/trucks! We’ve attached a couple of photos of the kit that we took, as we received it. We can’t wait to fire this thing up!

More later once we try this thing out..

*Edit: Photos won't upload.... so here it is on Moates.Net
http://www.moates.net/roadrunner/

Respectfully,
Phil Rickard
President/Owner
Dynotech Engineering Inc.

Last edited by DTE Powertrain; 03-03-2006 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Add photo link
Old 03-04-2006, 02:20 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been waiting for this to come about for some time. I have been using emulators for years not just in Automotive programming but in industrial control systems as well. Emulation for testing make life 100% easier!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Phil
DTE
Old 03-04-2006, 03:08 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

I had a chance to get the new software installed for the RoadRunner with Craig's help, as most of it at this stage is installed manually in different registries and files. The final versions that are released to the public will easily install right off the CD disc that will be included.

Once the intial software was installed and tested on the bench, it works very slick in that the operation of the RoadRunner is seemless and transparent between the EFI-Live Editor and the RR Emulator. The icons they have used w/in the editor are very easy to read and understand also...especially at a glance. The user can also minimize the RR window easily between the editor and itself in case you would want to do something within the editor w/out disturbing the emulator.

Almost forgot...the EFI Live software, RoadRunner, The EFI Live scanner *AND* a live wideband air/fuel sensor can be running all at the same time too via two different USB ports, so all the tuner has to do when making changes/monitoring the changes is switch from screen-to-screen to see what changes have to be made within the calibration from the data on the scanner, then make them via the RR in real-time and then switch back to the scanner to see how the change worked. Super easy and very cool!

I feel like a kid at Christmas playing with his new Red Rider, pump-action BB gun!!!

Regards,
Phil
DTE
Old 03-04-2006, 07:57 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Don't shoot your eye out.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:24 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

That was funny!!

I had the opportunity to power the RoadRunner system up on the test bench using a 2002 PCM, a bench-top harness and our EFI Live cable connected in tandem.

The syncronization is fast! I was able to pull the entire calibration file into the RoadRunner in about 12 seconds or so and it was dead stable. Gone are the days of neolythically slow downloads from the vehicle's PCM and even slower uploads back up to the vehicle's PCM..

The entire calibration file/O.S. download from the vehicle's PCM only takes about 2-3 minutes now, less than 13 seconds into the RoadRunner, instant real-time changes to the working file and just over a minute to upload the file back into the vehicle's PCM again! I see EFI is even speeding that process up again, so it should be even faster than all of this real soon!

These products bring the PCM calibration business/technology to an all-time high! Life is gooood!

Cheers,
Phil
DTE
Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

will this work on the 97 and what can i expect from it if it does?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:22 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

From what I understand, it's currently compatible with 1999-2002 PCM's with future support of 2003-2004 & 1997-1998 PCM's in the very near future. (if not already behind the scenes in beta)

*EDIT: Here's a statement made by Craig wlseware on the net to answer your question more precisely.

"No 98 support yet. However, I'll do what I can to try and support it. But it won't happen right away. Here's the priority list:

- 99-02 LS1/Trucks (done, supported)
- LB7 Diesel (under way, earliest testing looks promising)
- 03-05 LS1/Trucks (bench testing under way, no results yet)
- 98 LS1 (have dissected PCM for fitment, will require circuit layout change at least)

I'll also be putting together a little quick-start documentation guide so folks can understand what is involved to get up and running with this system. It actually is very easy once you've done it the first time. Like so many things in life. -Craig Moates"

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited by DTE Powertrain; 03-05-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Craig Moates
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy folks,

I just wanted to take a second to chime in here on this thread and say hello. Sorry I haven't stopped by sooner, my head has been down hard at work!

If anyone has any questions about the Roadrunner realtime emulator, I'll be glad to answer what I can. Since I created the device, I've got a pretty good feel for what it is capable of and what the limitations are. I'm also open to suggestions for continued improvement.

You can take a look at a brief run-down of the development history, licensing scenarios, and functionality (including some screenshots) at the following location:
http://www.moates.net/roadrunner/

I'll attempt to keep the content at that location up to date as things progress. You'll notice that within that location, there's a link for device-specific discussions and frequently-asked questions which should help folks understand what is at hand here.

I really do hope this new device provides the facility to achieve the new levels of tuning accuracy and efficiency for which it is intended. It was designed so you can spend more time responding to what your car wants and less time and effort going through the mechanics of figuring out how to give it to her. Like any relationship that is as intimate as that which exists between a person and a car, you want to be able to have an open channel of communication where you can be responsive to the needs of the other.

Again, if you have any questions, just let me know.

Best regards,
Craig Moates
Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

I had an opportunity to test this new system on a live-running vehicle tonight and I'm quite impressed thus far... The vehicle we're using for the test is a 2002 C5 A4 with our 427 and a Vortech T-trim S/C, 3.42, RPM trans., etc. etc, etc. When we tuned it before in the conventional manner, it comfortably produced 819 BHP and took quite a while to completely dial-in the PCM calibration.

To test the RoadRunner, I started again with a bone-stock, virgin 2002 GM cal. file from GM-SPS and began writing a new cal. for it from that foundation. I have the advantage of already knowing what the engine wants, because I've tuned it before, but no longer do I have to even shut off the engine anymore to make the appropriate calibration changes, which is quite nice.

I strapped it to the chassis dyno to begin re-writing the intial VE table and it was very slick to see how I could map the neccessary changes within the scanner and instantly/easily load them into the new VE table in real-time, as the car ran~ never once shutting it off. I was able to dial-in the mid portion of the VE table I was targeting in about 12 minutes, as opposed to the old way of monitor-stop-flash-start-monitor all over again etc, etc, etc, which took approx. 50 minutes-1 hour or so.

So far, so good.....

Cheers,
Phil- DTE

Last edited by DTE Powertrain; 03-15-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:00 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OVER 800 BHP...

is that all.............

can I drive it...

Sounds like you got a real winner on your hands....less time to tune is great. To bad you dont have the 98 totally supported....( it figures, I always have the bastard year)

keep on refining

wya to go...DTE teams up to make a great product..

Get notified of new replies

To ***Realtime LSx PCM Tuning Available Soon!*** (photos & details)

Quick Reply: ***Realtime LSx PCM Tuning Available Soon!*** (photos & details)