C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 04:08 PM
Joseph Eichelman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning

Hello,

I own a c5 corvette with 125,000 Miles. I got it 3 months ago and am planning on modding it. It already has a cam, and cat back exhaust. i just drove it 150 miles and got 30 MPG. I want to do intake, heads, longtube headers, and x pipe for now. I know if I want any serious gains in power i need to tune the car.

I want to be able to take it on a long trip and get my 30 MPG but when I need it, get the max power out from it. Is there any way I can get it tuned on a dyno and save that to a hand held tuner and also keep the stock tune and change them out when ever I want?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:06 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

You can't change the heads/cam/headers without a tune. It won't work. Specifics are too complex to spell out here but suffice to say there are many ways to skin that cat.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:05 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd be surprised if those additional mods reduced your fuel economy any. They're all just reducing restrictions.

If you're driving in a way that's good for fuel economy, you're not touching the areas of the tune that give you power (i.e. you're not touching the cells that get tuned), and if you're driving in a way that gives you power, your fuel economy is in the single digits regardless.

So I wouldn't worry about the mods you're thinking about doing. They'll open up the top end but they won't make a difference at the low end.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:30 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

No simple answer---you can't have 2 altered tunes with any handheld tuner Only stock and 1 other tune
-I have had many hds/cam/hdrs cars and the fuel mileage drops very little--The only time in may drop over 3-4 MPG is if you have a high stall on a auto trans but that is only around town Once on the freeway and the converter LOCKS the fuel mileage should only drop 1-2 MPG Even if you are using an agressive cam

PS The most reason people often get poor milage is because the tuner did not adjust the P/T fueling to compensate for the added airflow---LT headers are the worst MOD for poor mileage Reason being with LT's the front 02's are moved further aft as much as 3' this in return makes your 02's read incorrectly and not heat up right--End result you engine runs pig rich at P/T There is no 100% fix however a competant tuner can get it close back to 14.68 (stoich) by altering the front 02 switching points lower to try and trick the ECM into commandng a leaner P/T AFR closer to the stock 14.68 AFR using a wideband 02 sensor is a MUST
This is wht LT's are illegai in most states because of the added richness and thus adding huge amounts of hydro carbons at P/T

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning

Quick Reply: Tuning