C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 PM
NJD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002. And I notice recently that my steering wheel doesn't lock. I'm not sure if it ever did. Nonetheless, I recently replaced the Ignition Key lock cylinder. Car drives fine. Should I be worried that the steering wheel doesn't lock, after I remove the key? Thanks
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 PM
vetteman454
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2002 manual trans I purchased in March of 2010. I don't know if any recall procedures had been performed prior to my purchase. Three months after purchase, "Service Column Lock" message appeared and column locked and wouldn't unlock. Took it to local Chevy dealer and they installed ECL harness (Part number 19244028 Harness K is indicated on the repair order) and also removed the lock plate. Of course the column no longer locked but the car operated normally for the next 8 years.

Coincidentally while the car was at the same Chevy dealer last week for unrelated service, the column lock issue reappeared. "Pull Key Wait 10 Seconds" message appears when first inserting the key, then "Service Column Lock" message when inserting key again. Car starts then stalls when attempting to drive it.

The dealer tested the battery and found a dead cell and recommended replacing the battery stating that the lock problem can be caused by low battery voltage. This did not solve the issue. Dealer's next recommended solution was to replace the column lock actuator and remove the ECL harness previously installed to the tune of $800. Dealer would not guarantee this would fix the car but claimed they performed this fix on a corvette previously and it solved the issue. Not wanting to spend that much cash with no guarantees, I paid for the new battery installation and had the car towed back to my house to research the issue further since the dealer offered no other possibilities.

I welcome any suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 AM
vetteman454
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Read about, order and install the LMC5 from this location:

www.complianceparts.com

When you get the LMC5 and install it do the "brown wire mod" described on page 2 of the install instructions as "optional". Do it anyway and avoid having to be back there a second time when you start getting the "pull key and wait..." message.

LMC5 abandons all factory and recall wiring after the BCM so you don't have to worry about the K harness or anything else. LMC5 is the only permanent fix to the C5 column lock symptoms.
Installed the LMC5 yesterday and it did the trick. It's amazing to me that a $40 ($43 with shipping) part solved the problem. Wish it had been around in 2010 when it initially locked up. Compliance also has an unlocker module for those who still have the locking plate still in place. Cost me $300 to get it unlocked and "bypassed" at the Chevy dealer in 2010. Talked with Compliance prior to purchase and they were extremely helpful. Sent me links to the instruction videos. The instructions that came with the part were so detailed also. Saved me $800 over the dealer's solution. Thanks so much.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:14 PM
Tyrrell
4th Gear

Default I seem to have a slightly different column lock issue

I reconnected the battery and pulled my '99 A4 out from winter storage this past weekend, backed out of the driveway, and got 20 feet down the street when the column locked for a moment as I was straightening out. Over the next 20-40 feet as I got over to the curb, it was clear that something was wrong with the column. As I turned the wheel to a certain position, it would click with resistance while the tilt lever moved a bit. Pulling back on the tilt lever seemed to keep the wheel free as I maneuvered back into the garage. If the DIC displayed a message, I didn't notice it. I haven't looked at it since. Back to driving the Trailblazer.

I had planned on having it toward to the dealer until I found so much info about it. I'd really appreciate any insights anybody can provide.

Does GM provide a way for me to look up my car by VIN see if the column lock recall has been performed?

Last edited by Tyrrell; 03-26-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:32 AM
vetteman454
Intermediate

I believe the dealer can look it up. Try calling local dealer first before having it towed in.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I have read the to 2005 C6 has the same column lock.

What about the C6 2006 and newer ?

What lock system do these models utilize ??
Old 04-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Final Cam
4th Gear

I have a 2004 c5z and while I was out of town last weekend I got the pull key 10 seconds, then "service column lock" message. I disconnected battery, car would start then stall after a couple seconds, I then got my battery tested and it was perfect. I was about to tow the car then decided to jerk the steering wheel back and forth a couple times, which I read affects the actuator in some way, and boom, column unlocked and I drove two hours home. Now my questions is, since this has happened, am I more at risk for it to happen in the future? I purchased a column lock bypass kit, this will eliminate the column lock mechanism and I will be set free, right?

Thanks,

Parker
Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 PM
AndyTripleBlackVert
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it will happen again more frequently. Go ahead and install the bypass kit, so it doesn't happen when you are out and about driving. Best of luck!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:02 PM
Clarkzo6
5th Gear

Default Help with what this mod is?

Hi
New owner of a 03 c5 z Corvette and unsure if any work of column lock in past.
No problems since l have had in last 3 months but want to be sure of what l have.
All l know is with key out steering wheel turns freely.
And these two photos of BCM wires that don't look standard?

Any help please would be great full before l look into buying a LMC5
Thanks
Karl.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Ddunn007
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering column lock

I just purchased an ‘04 Z06. It had the “service steering column” on the display. It also had a dead battery. After wheeling and dealing, the finance manager agreed to by the bypass part for me. After bringing the car home and cleaning the crap out of it, the battery was once again dead, because of open doors, hood, trunk. So I went and replaced the battery and the “service steering column” went away. The recall has supposedly been done, but I need to check myself thru GM. The steering column still locks with the key out, and the recall says reflash only, on my car. Hopefully the problem was because of low voltage. Any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2020, 09:32 PM
nymets18
Heel & Toe

Hi John I am having a column steering lock message being displayed on my 2003 chevy corvette manual transmission. This message came up last year also. i took it to the dealer and they removed and replaced actuator. Problem seemed to have been fixed. Today the problem re appeared again., I heard sometimes this problem might be caused by low battery voltage. I charged my battery fully today and started the car and the message did not go away. Do you have any advice on what the next step should be?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:34 AM
ymerejsregor
5th Gear

UPDATE 02/20/20:. Got a hold of Richard today. His knowledge and customer service lives up to the legend. If you happen to be in a situation similar to mine, call even if it takes a few tries. He has the answer. Also, thanks to anyone who may have read this post and tried to assist even if they didn't have the answer.

-J

​Like most, I thought the column lock situation had been discussed to the point that nothing more could be said. I have, however, come up with a situation that I have searched for an answer at length but came up with nothing either here or the internet in general. A little background. I bought my wife a 99 a few years ago and within the first year got the service column message. I bought the the black box CLB that mounts under the steering wheel and never looked back. Has worked 100% perfect. Fast forward. I found a bargain in a 1998 M6 that was in very good condition, especially for the money so I bought it. The column lock worked as expected with no messages, locking and unlocking exactly as it was designed. Having gone through the issue on my wife's car, I put a column lock bypass on the winter project list. Either the LMC5 was not available when I did hers, or I didn't know about it, but I really liked the idea of it being mounted right at the BCM and bypassing all the wiring. On top of that, by all indications the customer service from Compliance Parts was second to none. That being the case, I went tith the LMC5.

I will be the first to admit that I am not a top tier mechanic, HOWEVER I can follow instructions and the LMC5 installation is very straightforward. After checking, rechecking, and repeatedly recehecking my rechecks I am confident it is installed correctly. After the installation, I get the "PULL KEY, WAIT 10 SECONDS" repeatedly. I have not actually counted the number of times, but it occurs over 90% of the time. I've checked fuses and installed a brand new battery.

So here is the question that all the background leads to: Will the brown wire mod resolve this on an early build 1998 M6 WITHOUT a relay? The LMC5 instructions state to do the mod if " ...and your c5 has the steering colum lock relay monted above the BCM..."

I know what the obvious answer is, which is also a part of the reason I went with the LMC5, and that is "Call Compliance Parts...they are very helpful." I have no doubt that may be the norm, but I have both emailed and called and left a message and have received no communication back from them. Ordinarily I would not be in quite so big a rush, but I have until 2/22/20 to return the part for refund. If I don't hear back from Compliance or get an answer from the cumulative knowledge of this forum, I'll probably get one of the other CLB and move on.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Likewise, my apologies if this very specific situation has already been adressed, but if it has, I surely could not find it,

--J

Last edited by ymerejsregor; 02-20-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:53 PM
Chad C
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ymerejsregor
UPDATE 02/20/20:. Got a hold of Richard today. His knowledge and customer service lives up to the legend. If you happen to be in a situation similar to mine, call even if it takes a few tries. He has the answer. Also, thanks to anyone who may have read this post and tried to assist even if they didn't have the answer.
-J
--J
What was the fix for this?
Old 08-23-2020, 01:55 PM
dcflyer
3rd Gear

HELP..... My steering column was locked, I had the service steering column message, I installed the CLB module and now the steering column is not locked but I still get the service steering column message and the car stalls above 2 mph, what do I do next

Sorry I know this is a well talked about item but I am a new C5 owner and there is a lot of information but not sure where to start?
The following users liked this post:
BryceU_C5 (06-24-2021)
Old 09-26-2020, 10:57 PM
Orange_Madness
Cruising

I've installed the LMC5 and the CLB, to no avail. I can drive it for a bit, and then the next day "Service Column Lock" again! At this point I have both installed and I don't know what to do next. I even have the optional brown wire installed as well.

Last edited by Orange_Madness; 09-26-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:17 PM
2000Z51MN6
2nd Gear

Pulling Fuse 25 just worked for me with my 2000 MN6 Z51.Thank you so much for the post from 2005!!!!
Old 01-07-2021, 05:57 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 546 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Originally Posted by Orange_Madness
I've installed the LMC5 and the CLB, to no avail. I can drive it for a bit, and then the next day "Service Column Lock" again! At this point I have both installed and I don't know what to do next. I even have the optional brown wire installed as well.
As of today, I am in a similar boat but glad to see your post before I bought a bypass device. My 2002 MN6 had the column lock up ten or more years ago, took it to the dealership and they replaced the wiring harness for it and loosened the lock plate (it rattles now). So, I am getting the "service column lock" but not the "remove key wait 10 seconds" message.

Might try the fuse 25 mentioned above but wondered how your outcome has been.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Old 06-24-2021, 07:52 PM
BryceU_C5
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange_Madness
I'm having the same issue. Just replaced my battery the other day cuz I noticed low voltage. I've heard voltage can effect the BCM. Perhaps it's time for a new BCM or find out if there's parasitic drain somewhere.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:29 PM
rob-cyn
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Z51MN6
Pulling Fuse 25 just worked for me with my 2000 MN6 Z51.Thank you so much for the post from 2005!!!!

Going to have to try that also as I am getting the service column lock all the time since I had a dead battery
Old 06-28-2021, 05:27 PM
BryceU_C5
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-cyn
Going to have to try that also as I am getting the service column lock all the time since I had a dead battery
Have you had any luck with this? I am having to reset my BCM all the time by simply pulling fuse 23 and/or 25. I just replaced my battery (with an optima) so I know the battery is good. I'm wondering if the alternator is not working well. It's barely putting out 13.1 volts when I put it under load and that seems a bit low to me.

I've read on this thread that the CLB (which I have installed) can damage relays within the BCM over time so this might be part of the issue. A new isn't terribly expensive so I might try replacing it, but I want to get confirmation before I spend $150+ on one of those.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)