C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Callaway Honker results...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks, Stano!!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:36 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I also have been very interested but am concerned about the water issue. It seems nearly every intake that cuts the shroud are the ones you hear about with hydrolock. Too bad there is not some sort of scoop on the underpart of the shroud also to block splashing or debris from hitting the filter. Or is it just mounted too high for any of that to be a problem?
I believe the problem with the shroud cutout units is, the "air dam" becomes a "water dam" if you drive through a puddle any deeper than the height the bottom of the air dam is above the ground. It then scoops water up into the filter area, the same as it scoops air into the filter area. I'm wondering how the Honker is any different if it uses a shroud cutout. Maybe I just don't understand where the honker is getting it's air from.
Ed
Old 07-19-2005, 11:48 AM
BlueRag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AllCammedUp
Thanks for your reply.

A couple of questions - Vararam claims a "up to 40 HP increase" while the Callaway site says the Honker is worth 16 HP. Looking at the numbers, the Honker wouldn't really be a competitor. Did Callaway have any way to justify the $120 price differential between their product and the Vararam or did you ask?

I did have a Halltech TRIC several years back and got rid of it due to fear of water injestion due to the area I was living in. Otherwise, it was an awesome intake and worth every penny.... therefore if the Honker is similar (and it appears to be) it could definitely be 'the real deal'.

Also - would it be possible for you to post some pictures of underneath the shroud? I'd like to see what the filter looks like and whatthe rest of the product looks like - about all I can see from the picture on the website is a (albeit nice looking) filter cover that feeds into the MAF/TB. Thanks!
I helped Stano button up his shroud after He installed the Honker, and it is a nice quality piece. I did a HPTuners scan afterwards and was shocked at the difference in airflow compared to a scan I did a couple months back with the Vararam. Vararam scan was done in 75-80' weather, and the Honker scan was done in 95' weather on the same roads. His gains in grams/cylinder (airflow) varied from 5% to 8% better between 2800rpm up to redline over the Vararam. I was not expecting to see gains like this.....

"other" Stan
The following users liked this post:
ElisTwoCents (03-25-2021)
Old 07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stano
Callaway.com has pic's and as far as water injestion, I don't see any difference over the stock intake.
Because we had more manifold pressure and two spots where I had very slight knocking, we pulled some timing in a couple of places, but not much, maybe one degree. Otherwise, I don't think a tune is necessary. In fact, I would like to set it back to where it was and see how it performs at sea level now that I've tested it with the minor tweaks at sea level and cooler temps. I personally think it pulled better off throttle without the tweaks, but until I can try it, I won't know for sure.
I'm very happy with the results to say the least. Callaway in my opinion did a great job with this set-up. It seems to have pulled everything I've done to my car together nicely.

callaway.com does NOT have any pics of your intake. That is an arts and entertainment site. Care to share the REAL address???
Old 07-19-2005, 12:57 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

callawaycars.com

Bluerag - thanks for the additional information - that's pretty amazing. What filter did the Vararam have in it - do you remember?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:30 PM
1KLRTOY
Pro

Check out the Aug. issue of Vette magazine p.92 for a full review of the Honker
Old 07-19-2005, 11:23 PM
stano
Safety Car

callawaycars.com

Bluerag - thanks for the additional information - that's pretty amazing. What filter did the Vararam have in it - do you remember?

It was the baja filter that I was using in the Vararam.

Sorry about the address mistake Callawaycars.com as mentioned above

Old 07-19-2005, 11:26 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1KLRTOY
Check out the Aug. issue of Vette magazine p.92 for a full review of the Honker
Is that online anywhere?? I can't get it here where I live.

Thanks!

Stano
Old 07-19-2005, 11:29 PM
stano
Safety Car

Many thanks, Stano!!

Old 07-19-2005, 11:34 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dave68
The cutout in the shroud for most of the CAI systems I've seen is even higher than the fog light "scoops", so if anyone is crazy enough to try to cross a foot-high stream of water - good luck, even with an OEM setup!
The cutout for this application is towards the top of the shroud. In fact, it is right where the shroud is indented to allow for the airbridge to connect to the old MAF location. It's as high as you can go.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:54 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://callawaycars.com/store/index....=3&prevstart=0

Last edited by blu00rdstr; 07-20-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:02 PM
1KLRTOY
Pro

Originally Posted by stano
Is that online anywhere?? I can't get it here where I live.

Thanks!
Stano
Try www.vetteweb.com
Old 07-21-2005, 01:49 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

AllCammedUp,

I don't have a picture but I saw the Honker. The filter it uses is a large rectangular panel-style Green filter. I hesitate to approximate its dimensions, as I surely would get it wrong.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:10 AM
George V
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It looks to me like it the car was not moving forward, a lot of heat raising off the radiator would enter the intake, making for a sluggish take off from a traffic light. Even if the fans were running, this location would be the hottest point in the shroud.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:39 PM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the shroud come out easily so you can cut it? Also, I see two different models of this air intake on their site. Which one is for an 04?
jeff
Old 07-22-2005, 03:30 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Originally Posted by JeffC5
Does the shroud come out easily so you can cut it? Also, I see two different models of this air intake on their site. Which one is for an 04?
jeff
I've not asked Callaway this, but I would assume that the 97-00 'model' is for the cars running the 75mm MAF and the '01-04' model is for any car running an 85mm MAF. So - pick the version that corresponds to the MAF you run. Even then, I think they would be completely interchangeable other than the 'airbridge' used to hook to the MAF.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:56 AM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Originally Posted by wamara
AllCammedUp,

I don't have a picture but I saw the Honker. The filter it uses is a large rectangular panel-style Green filter. I hesitate to approximate its dimensions, as I surely would get it wrong.
np. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway Honker results...

Old 07-25-2005, 08:18 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The pic on their site shows it going over the radiator.What does it look like going down.

Does it go all the way to the fog light openings?
Does it seal off the front of the car from the engine compartment?
Any other pics?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueRag
I helped Stano button up his shroud after He installed the Honker, and it is a nice quality piece. I did a HPTuners scan afterwards and was shocked at the difference in airflow compared to a scan I did a couple months back with the Vararam. Vararam scan was done in 75-80' weather, and the Honker scan was done in 95' weather on the same roads. His gains in grams/cylinder (airflow) varied from 5% to 8% better between 2800rpm up to redline over the Vararam. I was not expecting to see gains like this.....

"other" Stan
Wish you had qtr mile ET comparisons. I know everyone does not drag race though. I believe I would still put my money on the vararam in the qtr mile.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:01 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
The pic on their site shows it going over the radiator.What does it look like going down.

Does it go all the way to the fog light openings?
Does it seal off the front of the car from the engine compartment?
Any other pics?

Here are a couple - Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Callaway Honker results...