C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Callaway Honker results...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 02:41 PM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callaway Honker results...

Well, I installed the new Callaway Honker on my '04 Z06 this past week and I thought I would share the results. This is not intended to do anything other than provide results of just one more intake that in my opinion is worth taking a serious look at.

Based on an HP Tuner scan, there was a considerable increase in grams per cycl everywhere, but it was most noticeable in my low and mid range. It was consuming more air than the Vararam B2 did at a cooler temp ( sub 80 degrees )
The scan was done at 95+ degree temps. Altitude was the same for both scans.
There was a noticable increase in throttle response because with the Callaway, the MAF is relocated next to the TB, just like the new C6.
Also, in all fairness, the green Wick filter is much larger than the Vararam or any other filter I've used ( Halltech included )
The quality is what you would come to expect from Callaway, as the price reflects this too ( $490.00 )
It was an easy install which required cutting the shroud, but Callaway includes a template that made it that much easier. You have to rivet the filter holder to the shroud so Callaway includes the rivets and drill bit in it's parts.
The gentleman who tunes my car I'm sure will chime in soon to answer any techie questions.

Give it a look see and deceide for yourself.

Stano
Old 07-17-2005, 03:37 PM
indy300
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stano
Well, I installed the new Callaway Honker on my '04 Z06 this past week and I thought I would share the results. This is not intended to do anything other than provide results of just one more intake that in my opinion is worth taking a serious look at.

Based on an HP Tuner scan, there was a considerable increase in grams per cycl everywhere, but it was most noticeable in my low and mid range. It was consuming more air than the Vararam B2 did at a cooler temp ( sub 80 degrees )
The scan was done at 95+ degree temps. Altitude was the same for both scans.
There was a noticable increase in throttle response because with the Callaway, the MAF is relocated next to the TB, just like the new C6.
Also, in all fairness, the green Wick filter is much larger than the Vararam or any other filter I've used ( Halltech included )
The quality is what you would come to expect from Callaway, as the price reflects this too ( $490.00 )
It was an easy install which required cutting the shroud, but Callaway includes a template that made it that much easier. You have to rivet the filter holder to the shroud so Callaway includes the rivets and drill bit in it's parts.
The gentleman who tunes my car I'm sure will chime in soon to answer any techie questions.

Give it a look see and deceide for yourself.

Stano
Thanks for reporting. I have been considering this intake.

And the million dollar question...HP/TQ gains?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:58 PM
stano
Safety Car

I'm not close to a dyno, but based on driving impressions, torque is definately up and hp should be as well. We both agreed that in the 104+ temps ( actually it's been more like 109-116 ) here in the desert (2500 ft.) the car ran very well. We were both impressed to say the least. If I remember correctly, the grams per cycl in the sub 80's scan vs. the 95+ were different by 3-4 grams. My friend who is tuning my car has all that info.
I was just down in Ventura where it was in the 60's and low 70's and my car just pulled and hauled butt like it never has.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

You have a pic?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:17 PM
lloaf
Instructor

I know with the Vararam people dabated whether it might be a problem driving in heavy rain type situations ...re: hydrolock. Whether or not true, would this be more or less of an issue with the Honker ?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:20 PM
skip89
Melting Slicks

This is a good report. Nice list of mods. This really seems like a well thought out intake. Did you need tuning after the install to make it run right or were you just checking? I go to Carlisle every year and Calloway is there. I just hope that this year they will be there doing installs. Breathless performance is there each year cleaning up on intakes.exhausts,shifters,and more. Like to see calloway do the same.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:35 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

So I take it that you had a Vararam on the car before installing the Honker, correct? If that is the case, then are you satisifed with the money spent and the performance gained over and above the Vararam's level of performance? - Do you feel like it was money well spent?

I've looked at the intake, and I really like the looks of it, but I don't want to switch until I can see some concrete evidence. Thanks for posting on it, though - it does confirm some of my own thoughts concerning the intake and it's apparent quality.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:37 PM
stano
Safety Car

Callaway.com has pic's and as far as water injestion, I don't see any difference over the stock intake.
Because we had more manifold pressure and two spots where I had very slight knocking, we pulled some timing in a couple of places, but not much, maybe one degree. Otherwise, I don't think a tune is necessary. In fact, I would like to set it back to where it was and see how it performs at sea level now that I've tested it with the minor tweaks at sea level and cooler temps. I personally think it pulled better off throttle without the tweaks, but until I can try it, I won't know for sure.
I'm very happy with the results to say the least. Callaway in my opinion did a great job with this set-up. It seems to have pulled everything I've done to my car together nicely.

Last edited by stano; 07-17-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:42 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AllCammedUp
So I take it that you had a Vararam on the car before installing the Honker, correct? If that is the case, then are you satisifed with the money spent and the performance gained over and above the Vararam's level of performance? - Do you feel like it was money well spent?

I've looked at the intake, and I really like the looks of it, but I don't want to switch until I can see some concrete evidence. Thanks for posting on it, though - it does confirm some of my own thoughts concerning the intake and it's apparent quality.
Yes.
You know, I was thinking about that the other day while I was installing it. I was concerned about the cost benefits. My friend who tuned my car and I both agreed ( and he was skeptical about what it would do if anything ) the cost was well worth the money spent.
I'm shipping my Vararam out tomorrow as I've sold it for $190.00
That helped to offset the cost, so yes, I'd do it again.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:38 PM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Ttt
Old 07-17-2005, 09:42 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the review.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:54 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default honker

I knew that system would work!i was going to get it before i went with my cowl induction hood.Callaway=Quality work.nice going.did you mention your h.p/torque.gains?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:07 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

490$ for an INTAKE????

AY MUCHACO
Old 07-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I also have been very interested but am concerned about the water issue. It seems nearly every intake that cuts the shroud are the ones you hear about with hydrolock. Too bad there is not some sort of scoop on the underpart of the shroud also to block splashing or debris from hitting the filter. Or is it just mounted too high for any of that to be a problem?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The cutout in the shroud for most of the CAI systems I've seen is even higher than the fog light "scoops", so if anyone is crazy enough to try to cross a foot-high stream of water - good luck, even with an OEM setup!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Stano

Glad you got good results.

You say its bigger than the Haltech filter.....thats pretty big. I have the Trap.

I would love to see it next time you come down

DH
Old 07-18-2005, 06:20 PM
J.M.G.
Instructor

Does this system also have any effect on the intake-sound? My blackwing gives me a very nice sound - is the honker comparable?

Cheers,
Johannes (from Germany)

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway Honker results...

Old 07-18-2005, 07:15 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by J.M.G.
Does this system also have any effect on the intake-sound? My blackwing gives me a very nice sound - is the honker comparable?

Cheers,
Johannes (from Germany)
Right now it has no sound...I guess I'm getting more torque than I think...my rear diff gave out last night
Oh well, good excuse to consider different gears
You "pay to play" as they say
But to answer your question, it sounded fine to me. Sound is pretty subjective to each person though.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:17 AM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Thanks for your reply.

A couple of questions - Vararam claims a "up to 40 HP increase" while the Callaway site says the Honker is worth 16 HP. Looking at the numbers, the Honker wouldn't really be a competitor. Did Callaway have any way to justify the $120 price differential between their product and the Vararam or did you ask?

I did have a Halltech TRIC several years back and got rid of it due to fear of water injestion due to the area I was living in. Otherwise, it was an awesome intake and worth every penny.... therefore if the Honker is similar (and it appears to be) it could definitely be 'the real deal'.

Also - would it be possible for you to post some pictures of underneath the shroud? I'd like to see what the filter looks like and whatthe rest of the product looks like - about all I can see from the picture on the website is a (albeit nice looking) filter cover that feeds into the MAF/TB. Thanks!

Last edited by AllCammedUp; 07-19-2005 at 09:17 AM. Reason: correct caps
Old 07-19-2005, 11:13 AM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AllCammedUp
Thanks for your reply.

A couple of questions - Vararam claims a "up to 40 HP increase" while the Callaway site says the Honker is worth 16 HP. Looking at the numbers, the Honker wouldn't really be a competitor. Did Callaway have any way to justify the $120 price differential between their product and the Vararam or did you ask?

I didn't ask about the price difference. But after receiving the Honker, it was quite apparent of the quality difference between the B2 and the way the filter sealed. The filter just dropped in very nicely.
I didn't believe the "up to 40 hp" claim by Vararam. Callaway stated that it was 16 hp over the Vararam. They also stated that with the WIX filter and it's size, that it flowed 190cfm more than any other filter out there. I believe MTI did the testing.
I really made my decision to switch based on the quality of the Callaway, ease of filter change, filter seal and the fact that the MAF was relocated closer to the TB. The A/F did not change at all after the install.

I did have a Halltech TRIC several years back and got rid of it due to fear of water injestion due to the area I was living in. Otherwise, it was an awesome intake and worth every penny.... therefore if the Honker is similar (and it appears to be) it could definitely be 'the real deal'.

Also - would it be possible for you to post some pictures of underneath the shroud? I'd like to see what the filter looks like and whatthe rest of the product looks like - about all I can see from the picture on the website is a (albeit nice looking) filter cover that feeds into the MAF/TB. Thanks!
It'll be awhile but I'll see what I can do on the pics.

Last edited by stano; 07-19-2005 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Callaway Honker results...