C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Callaway Honker results...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I also have the Honker. I installed it on my Z06. First of all, one of the reasons I chose it is because the quality was one of the best I've seen. Has an OEM look to it. The instructions were far better than other brands, too. They include every fastener you'd need including the correct size drill bit for the rivets supplied. Installation was not difficult and removing the shroud is not that hard to do. As far as the price is concerned, if you add up all the parts you'd purchase with another brand of intake to accomplish the same thing, you'd spend at least as much if not more. My two concerns I put to the contact at Callaway were water ingestion and computer tuning. The lowest point of the intake cutout is no lower than the stock intake. Because of the direction airflow takes as it enters the filter, they didn't feel that water would be an issue forcing its way up the intake. They have no reports of a Honker having hydrolock problems. He also said they did test it driving in rain. BTW, the filter cutout is 7" x 18". Another point he made was that they do not feel it is necessary to do a tune unless you've made other significant mods. Mild mods do not necessarily require a retune. However, in the Vette article that showed the install, on a car that had some previous work they got 34 hp with the Honker and a retune, 19 before the retune. This was over the Blackwing the car already had. Now for my own results with it. I recently ran it at Englishtown and it felt much stronger than previous runs with only a change to the Honker and a Magnaflow catback. I ran essentially the same E.T.'s as before the mods but that's because I kept having to lift due to spinning the tires on my 2nd and 3rd shifts. There was a significant power increase because my mph was up.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by striper
I also have the Honker.
The instructions were far better than other brands, too. They include every fastener you'd need including the correct size drill bit for the rivets supplied. Installation was not difficult and removing the shroud is not that hard to do.

I just installed mine this weekend. WOW the instructions were great (when is the last ime you heard anybody say that?). Any 16 year old with a toolbox could make this happen.

As for results:
I had a dyno run less than 2 weeks ago, and I am hoping to get another one done by the end of the week. Yeah, the weather will not be the exact same, but it's the best I could manage. It should be a good gague since the callaway is the only change. I am going to get a dyno tune, so I'll compare the baseline from that session to the previous pull and get an idea of just the callaway.
I have Kook's LTs, high flow cats and a Corsa cat-back. The previous pull showed 331 (331.9 actually) rwhp, with the A/F being a good bit fat. I am very confident from the "SOTP dyno runs" this weekend that I will beat my goal of 350rwhp by a clear margin.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:49 PM
BradCZ06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with striper. The quality is very good. Didn't do a before after dyno though so I don't know what I gained. Seems to pull harder at higher RPMs than before. Don't regret the purchase. That OEM airbox has a tiny opening for outside air to enter.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:19 PM
eb02z06
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Isn't the MTI rammer exactly the same?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:35 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Default ...not even close

Originally Posted by eb02z06
Isn't the MTI rammer exactly the same?
No.

The biggest feature of the Callaway Honker is the way they engineered it to fit precisely and the moving of the Mass Air sensor to just before the throttle body

G.M.'s engineers must have taken note of this, as the MAF is up in that place in the C6

I hope this helps
Old 08-16-2005, 10:16 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

In addition to all other positive comments about the Honker, it is the only intake I've seen that utilizes the stock air bridge mounts on the radiator cover to keep it aligned and in place.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:22 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
In addition to all other positive comments about the Honker, it is the only intake I've seen that utilizes the stock air bridge mounts on the radiator cover to keep it aligned and in place.
Actually any of the aftermarket intakes that utilize the stock air bridge would also be utilizing the mounts on the radiator cover to keep the system aligned. Vararam, blackwing, wide mouth, BPP Vortex Ramer Cold Air System, Dual Cone Air Intake all utilize the stock air bridge. The BBK Cold Air Induction System has it's own air bridge but it has holes for the stock air bridge mounts.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Good info, thanks!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:21 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by stano
Also, in all fairness, the green Wick filter is much larger than the Vararam or any other filter I've used ( Halltech included )
Stano
It looks larger than the Vararam, but to say that it is larger than the Halltech or similar filters is ridiculous. Now granted I haven't seen this filter in person (but as it looks in the pic), don't forget the Halltech is a 360* filter, not just a one-way flow-through type. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:26 AM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
It looks larger than the Vararam, but to say that it is larger than the Halltech or similar filters is ridiculous. Now granted I haven't seen this filter in person (but as it looks in the pic), don't forget the Halltech is a 360* filter, not just a one-way flow-through type. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've been known to make ridiculous statements before
Old 09-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Fozzy_Bear
As for results:
I had a dyno run less than 2 weeks ago, and I am hoping to get another one done by the end of the week. Yeah, the weather will not be the exact same, but it's the best I could manage. It should be a good gague since the callaway is the only change.
The dyno pull after changing only the intake was a solid 9-11 ft/lbs of torque uniformly across the rpm range. For a total of exactly 10 rwhp differance at the peak (341.9 vs 331.9)

I could not do it the same day, so it is not exactly scientific, but it was just a little bit hotter the second time, so the results may have been a touch better if I have done a back-to-back comparison.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:36 PM
DDsC5
Advanced

Default Help With Intake Selection?

The dyno pull after changing only the intake was a solid 9-11 ft/lbs of torque uniformly across the rpm range. For a total of exactly 10 rwhp differance at the peak (341.9 vs 331.9)

I could not do it the same day, so it is not exactly scientific, but it was just a little bit hotter the second time, so the results may have been a touch better if I have done a back-to-back comparison.
I am in the process of upgrading my OEM intake/filter on my 99...have been looking at the Halltech Stinger,K&N, and Blackwing, but would like to get some guidance if possible. Can anyone give me some comparisons(ie-pros/cons, HP gains etc) between each of these; that might help me in my selection process. I have only ever experienced K&N filters, as I run them in my other vehicles.
Thanks for any help -DD
Old 09-06-2005, 03:04 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Here are a couple - Hope this helps

That filter looks like the stock size? Filter area does not look like it
matches the Stinger filter head, and noway matches the ssm
Old 09-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Tru_Ice
Burning Brakes

10 rwhp over your previous induction setup. What were you running before?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Tru_Ice
10 rwhp over your previous induction setup. What were you running before?
Stock except for a full exhaust (details in post number 42 in this thread)

I was unable to do custom tuning at the time. Hopefully I'll get a chance this week and possibly hit my 350 rwhp goal. 8 rwhp (which turns out to be under 2.5% difference) from tuning doesn't sound unreasonable, so I am optimistic.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 AM
cosmiccharlie
Intermediate

Thanks for all the help from everybody. I guess ill either go honker or varraram, or blackwing.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Quil
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Wow, you bumped a thread that was 7 1/2 years old. Well done.

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway Honker results...

Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

yeah... GREAT... Thanks..

Now I miss my old C5...

(but that will probably go away when I get into my C6 tonight after work )
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

yeah... GREAT... Thanks..

Now I miss my old C5...

(but that will probably go away when I get into my C6 tonight after work )
Old 03-12-2014, 11:45 PM
alphasurf
Cruising

I found this thread very useful because I just got a 2000 Corvette and I was looking for info on which would be the best intake. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and also... Sorry for floating it!

Quick Reply: Callaway Honker results...