C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum lug nuts

Old 09-08-2005, 01:11 AM
leaftye
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Aluminum lug nuts

Porsche sells them for their cars. Any reason(s) not to use them other than they break if you take them off when they're hot, the corners round off more easily, they stretch and wear out with repeated installation, and they're more expensive?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:53 AM
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member

Liked 184 Times in 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by leaftye
Porsche sells them for their cars. Any reason(s) not to use them other than they break if you take them off when they're hot, the corners round off more easily, they stretch and wear out with repeated installation, and they're more expensive?
Sounds like you've pretty well listed some good reasons already.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:42 AM
DangerousMind
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Porsche hasnt used lug nuts for a long time on their cars. They use bolts and they are steel. Some of the older 911s had them but there is no advantage over steel ones.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 AM
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

ALuminum lug nuts some ppl stretch or ware out the ARP lug nuts. ALuminum is too soft to hold a 100 ftlbs and the stress of hard cornering.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:39 AM
XTrooper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aluminum lug nuts sound like a really bad idea to me.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:27 PM
blue383
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FYI,

I owned an older Porsche with aluminum lug nuts for 8 years and put over 45000 miles on it (in addition to 45K mikes when purchased). Had the wheels off many times, used it on the track several times - no problems. I torqued the nuts to 92-95 lbs.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:19 PM
turboc5
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They work well for lighter cars ex. honda, porsche ect. but I woulden't get that crazy with unsprung weight. If they strip out when cornering, bad things happen.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:31 PM
leaftye
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Umm....a C5 is a "lighter" car... I don't see how an aluminum lug nut in good condition would fail, especially if the threads were lubricated, and the torque settings adjusted accordingly. If going to aluminum lug nuts was a one-time deal, I'd probably go for it, but it looks like they must be treated like they're disposible even when they cost MUCH more than steel lugs. It also helps to have a special socket to remove them without damaging them...ie, more $$.

I have to wonder if different length studs would be needed with aluminum lugs. I'm thinking the threads on the lug closest to the bearing surface are the threads that stretch the stud, while the threads on the other end of the lug stretch the lug itself out and lock the lug in place on the stud. So on one hand, a longer stud would allow a longer aluminum lug, and allow more thread area to stretch the stud and more threads to create a self-locking action. On the other hand, aluminum stretches more than steel, so it shouldn't need as much thread area to create the locking action. Hmm...

For weight savings, it's definitely not going to make a huge difference....it's one of those things that's done in conjunction with many other things to get a noticable improvement.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:17 AM
XTrooper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The question that begs to be asked is WHY? There can't be any significant weight savings when you're talking about 20 lug nuts, so why not simply use steel lugs that you know aren't going to be an issue? Seems crazy to me.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:27 PM
leaftye
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XTrooper
The question that begs to be asked is WHY? There can't be any significant weight savings when you're talking about 20 lug nuts, so why not simply use steel lugs that you know aren't going to be an issue? Seems crazy to me.
I already said it won't make a big difference by itself. Lots of small things make a big difference. If you dropped your sponge on the ground and only got a few pieces of sand in it, but most of it was clean, would you keep using the sponge, or grab another sponge? To each his own I guess.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:03 PM
turboc5
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by leaftye
Umm....a C5 is a "lighter" car...
About 1000 lbs heaver than a EG honda civic and about 500 lbs heaver than a 80's 911, not to mention we usally run much larger wheels. just my .02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aluminum lug nuts

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: