C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you drive a car with heads only?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:42 PM
STLBLUES
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Can you drive a car with heads only?

Broke a pushrod and bent a valve. I am pulling the heads to check out the pistons. Since I have to yank the heads I thought about stepping up. Can you drive the car with a set of darts,afr,ect installed and no tune? What I want to do is install my long tubes,z06 intake and a set of heads,pushrods and drive it for a few months. Once I save up the $$ I will have the cam installed and tuned then. Will this work or should I wait and do it all at once? I can do the heads but the cam install looks like a pain.
Where do I search to find out car specs for 400-420 rwhp? I have a 99frc thats all stock so far. I have tpis long tube headers, xpipe no cats to be installed. The car has a BB PRT set on it. I want to add cats to the xpipe if I can fit them in.
I need a setup that will work with a daily driven car. I do want the cam to lope a bit at idle. So where do I look to find cam/heads that work the best together? Can you buy heads and a cam for 1600 that will get me 400-420rwhp? Thanks for any help -Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 04:30 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Vinci Performance did just such a test for AFR. It is on their web site. I have also read that GM High Tech Performance magazine has a similar AFR test in the current issue, but I have not been able to find it at the magazine store.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

For about $1,700 I got Patriot CNC ported 5.3 heads, cam, Harland Sharp full roller rockers, head gaskets and bolts shipped to my door. I think the prices might have gone down by now - give Gunnar at Patriot a call.

In hindsight I probably would have skipped the rockers and got an underdrive pulley instead - the time to install that is when you change your cam.

Here's a link to my results, I'm happy with my budget set up. Hope that helps.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...050&forum_id=1
Old 11-01-2005, 04:00 PM
STLBLUES
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Joe sounds good! That's what I am looking for! Did you ever make it to the track? What will a 3:54 6spd hardtop run with 400 rwhp in the 1/4 on tires and on et streets? I will call Gunnar and chat. Anyone running the Darts or edelbrock yet? The AFR's look like the best but I need to keep the cost down.
Vettenuts, I have one article with AFR 205 heads only but they did a tune also. I think they achived 30+rwhp.
Thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:18 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

unless Patriot has had a drastic change in the last few years I would NEVER put their heads on my car based on the problems Ive heard .. which i believe included an engine going bust due to tolerances in the heads and patriot going oh well t/s (that was a while ago so i may have some details wrong but more or less that story has stuck with me)

food for thought.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
For about $1,700 I got Patriot CNC ported 5.3 heads, cam, Harland Sharp full roller rockers, head gaskets and bolts shipped to my door. I think the prices might have gone down by now - give Gunnar at Patriot a call.

In hindsight I probably would have skipped the rockers and got an underdrive pulley instead - the time to install that is when you change your cam.

Here's a link to my results, I'm happy with my budget set up. Hope that helps.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...050&forum_id=1
Old 11-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Honez
Pro

Originally Posted by Neablas
unless Patriot has had a drastic change in the last few years I would NEVER put their heads on my car based on the problems Ive heard .. which i believe included an engine going bust due to tolerances in the heads and patriot going oh well t/s (that was a while ago so i may have some details wrong but more or less that story has stuck with me)

food for thought.

Your wrong, they fixed the problems your thinking about, there are thousands of peple out there running them with no problems. I have a set on my Fbody that I race and beat to death. Not a single problem. On the Vette I went with a different setup but for a guy on a budget they are good. Don't let the past keep you from them.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Neablas
(that was a while ago so i may have some details wrong but more or less that story has stuck with me)
I did a lot of research here and on the other LS! tech site before I bought. There was apparently a specific problem that was addressed on a run of heads. They have reportedly made staffing and procedural changes long ago after the problem surfaced. From all I've seen, including my personal dealings with Gunnar with Patriot, they are a stand up company that stands behind their product. I've not seen any problems reported for a long time and I'm very happy with my products. There are more expensive options out there that will probably make a few more horsepower, but I just didn't have the budget.

But make no mistake, the Patriot 226/226 .585/.585 112 cam is not a sleeper cam... you will know you have it in there. I had Borla Stingers on my car but had to switch to Z06 TI's to keep the noise down. It was LOUD!

Alas, I've not made it to the track since my install. First my son was born which took me from the drag strip for a while, then we had a rainout. Hopefully this Saturday we'll run in our Corvette Challenge - that is if Moroso has their power back on from Hurricane Wilma!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:57 PM
STLBLUES
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

I have heard all of the Patriot stories on here but I will still want to check them out. I have not seen any recent problems on the forum. I have always wanted a set of Darts. Who would be a good dealer to buy Darts from? Thanks Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 06:41 PM
3Vettes@Home
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

ck my sig. below, I believe you would have to tune with heads only (ported) due to more airflow, most have to change injectors too.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:57 PM
STLBLUES
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

A tune will get me to get the most out of my heads. What I would like to do is drive to car for a few months after the head swap/headers install without a tune. Then when I have the cam installed I will get the proper tune. Can this be done? If not I will put the heads on, then trailer it to OKC after I get the $$ for a cam install and tune. No Dart users? Thanks -Steve
Old 11-02-2005, 04:35 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure the Darts have hit the street yet.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have Patriot heads and their cam and they are ready to go into my 02 Z06. I was going to wait to do the swap after I put the car up for the New England winter but, last night I purchased a 06 C6 and that should keep me in the Corvetter driving seat just fine! Could start the project very soon. I have their cam and need to know from the experts if it will be too big.

How radical is their cam??? Here is the specs that I have with the cam Gunner shipped to me. I have stainless works headers, 3" exhaust system, ported TB, VARARAM and plan on getting EFI Live and a wide ban scanner to do all of the tuneing.

CAM
PART # 8426
ENGINE: CHEVY LS1/LS6
GRIND # LS: 232/230
INTAKE EXHAUST
VALVE ADJUSTMENT HYD HYD
GROSS VALVE LIFT .580 .580 1.7 RATIO ROCKER

.006 TAPPET LIFT
VALVE TIMING OPEN
AT .050 INT: 34 BTOC 70 ABOC
EXH: 73 BBDC 29 ATBC

THESE SPECS ARE FOR CAM INSTALLED
AT 109 INTAKE CENTER LINE
INTAKE EXHAUST
DURATION AT .050 232 230 SPRINGS REQUIRED
LOBE LIFT .3476 .3430 VALVE SPRING SPECS
LOBE SEPARATION 110 FURNISHED WITH SPRINGS

THIS SHEET CONTAINS INFORMATION ABOUT PRODUCT. PLEASE READ ALL THE INFORMATION AND RETAIN THIS SHEET FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

1. The attached specification sheet contains specific information about your new camshaft. Keep for future reference.
2. Please refer to the enclosed instructions for proper installation torque.
3. Call 256-413-3882 if you have further questions regarding component selection or product information.
4. ALWAYS CHECK PISTON TO VALVE CLEARANCE WHEN INSTALLING AN AFTERMARKET CAMSHAFT.

Is too radical for a car that is a daily driver but likes to run hard?!?

Thanks

Bill C
Old 11-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Hey Bill,

That cam is going to be a bit of a bear on the street in my opinion...depending on what you use your car for.

I've got Patriot's smaller cam, the 226/226 .585/585 112 cam. Gunnar at Patriot steered me away from the 110 cam for street use.

Now understand that I live in S. Fla and I get to drive my ragtop every day in stop and go traffic year round. It's got a sharp tune on it but it still will sometimes hunt for idle in bumper to bumper. Power is awesome from 2k up, but around 1k to 1.5k it's not as smooth as stock. It takes a little work to drive it smoothly when putting around - it will buck a little if you're not careful. Accellerating is fine but a steady speed around at 1k-1.5k in 1st thru 3rd is a little dicey, that's when it wants to buck. It cruises well in 4-5-6th gear at that rev range I guess since the speed is so much higher. I can only imagine that the 110 would be a lot worse.

My tuner, Mike Norris, strongly recommends higher lsa cams for mostly street use, he told me 116 would be much better.

If you're using the car as a weekend fun driver, with occasional traffic use, it will be fine... and it sounds MEAN with the lope. Great for cruising and it screams when you are on it.

But there are tradeoffs for the power, make no mistake. Sometimes it's a bit of a pain in bumper to bumper. But I forget about all that when I run thru the gears. I gained 105 RWHP with the H/C and it makes a huge difference, it's like a new car.

Hope that helps. I appreciate your tech tips over the years very much. If you would like more info on my experience just ask.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you drive a car with heads only?

Quick Reply: Can you drive a car with heads only?