C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column lock letter from GM[merged]

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:10 PM
RGAZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default column lock recall dated 020806

I called my local dealer yesterday and spoke with the service dept. They were unaware of the most recent recall. I gave then the bulletin number and explained the latest fix.

They pulled up my car info and said there was no recall in the system for my vehicle.

My dealer at least will not do the recall until GM puts the owner info in the system

FWIW!

RG
AZ
Old 02-10-2006, 01:16 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
RICHIERICHZ06 Thanks for the reply. Is your dealership ready to do the recall now, or are parts on order? I'm in Castro Valley, just south of Oakland, but for the peace of mind in dealing with a caring service department, the drive would be a no brainer. Talk with you soon, Larry.

Larry, I have the kit in stock and if you know you are going to make the trip let me know and I'll hold one for you. Feel free to call and I can get you an appointment set up!! -RICH-
Old 02-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

RICHIERICHZ06 Thanks for the info Rich, I will be calling you on Monday to set up an appointment. Have a good weekend, enjoy the great weather we are currently having, Larry.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well not all of us hate or are afraid of the Chevy dealership in town. In Tallahassee, FL, I go to Champion Chevrolet and they all treat my Z06 like it was made of gold. Matter of fact, EVERYTIME I have left it there for a few hours, they park it right in front of the service area, under cover, like it is their mascot or something. And no, I did NOT buy the car from them. The vette tech sometimes invites me into the service area and we shoot the breeze about Corvette trivia. I feel completely at ease dealing with them.

Matter of fact, the first time I took my Z to them (after I drove it home from south Florida, the service writer told me that the steering column recall was outstanding on my vehicle. He called over the vette tech and we all discussed it. Apparently a CLB had already been installed in the vehicle before I got it and they both said it would be best to NOT do the recall because it would wipe out what appeared to be a custom tune on my car. The only thing the recall would have done for me would have been to remove the "SERVICE STEERING COLUMN" message I get whenever I start it up. But a click to the RESET button gets rid of that.

There ARE good dealers out there, I guess you just need to be lucky enough to live close to one.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:58 PM
beltfed21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLB still needed.

Originally Posted by Midwest Vette
I did the same thing.

No, No, No! I learned the hard way. Buy the CLB. Even with the lock plate removed you can be stranded because the LOCK MOTOR can and does fail - leaving you with a car that will only go somewhere sitting on a flatbed trailor unless you can get there going under 2 MPH. Even though the CLB is not perfect (since it is just a relay that can fail), at least it does not require the column lock motor to function. And to those who do have the GM harness-K already installed, get under there and unplug the side that goes to the column lock motor so that failure of this motor will not be a problem. Because a GM dealer will never agree to leave the column lock motor out of the loop, therfore they will charge you a ton of money to fix a failed column lock motor once they have your car in their greedy little hands. It makes no sense to require the motor when the column no longer locks anyway. What a ripoff.

The best fix in my opinion ti
Old 02-18-2006, 11:16 AM
quimbo
Drifting

Default Column lock letter from GM

I just got this from GM today here we go again!!!!!!!!!!

Central Off ice Chevrolet Motor Division General Motors Corporation PU. Box 33110, Detroit, MI 48232-5170
CHEVROLET
February 2006
Dear Chevrolet Customer:
As the owner of a 2001 mode! year Chevrolet Corvette, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.
This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2001 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles may have a condition where the steering column lock fails to unlock the steering column when the vehicle is started. This steering lock condition will cause a message to appear in the DiC display telling you to pull the key and wait 10 seconds. It will also shut off the fuel supply if you attempt to drive the vehicle while the steering colurrin is liocked; .
This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.
What we Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection in the event that the steering column fails to unlock when the vehicle is started. If this condition occurs on your 2001 Chevrolet Corvette, the condition
will be repaired for you at no charge until February 29, 2008.
What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center between the hours of 8;00 AM and 11:00 PM, EST, Monday through Friday. They can be reached at 1.800.630.2438. The deaf, hearing impaired, or speech impaired should call Text Telephone (TTY), 1.800.833,2438.
We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products,
Chevrolet Motor Division General Motors Corporation
Enclosure 05081

quimbo SEEYAAAH

Last edited by quimbo; 02-18-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

So in other words if your car locks up that they will just put in a new CL until Feb of 2008?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:40 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

there are like 9 of these threads going....apparently everyone got one....well I didn't

serious...I signed a waiver to close the campaign on my car for the recall..I had already installed the CLB and don't need GM fkin with my car and programming
Old 02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought mine in Feb 2004 and purchased a 6yr 60K mile extended warranty so I guess it doesn't do me any good if it fails since the extended warranty should cover it anyway. Guess I'm good till Feb 2010. Since they know it's a problem they should cover it no matter how old the car is. Its a manufacture's defect.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:45 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Looks like everyone is getting a different letter.

I got a recall reminder from GM today on my 2004 Z06, that clearly states that the dealer will "disable the steering column lock". It does not say exactly how they will do that in the letter, but from a previous post that had a link to bulletin 4006C, they will install the Harness K kit, part #89023816.

I removed the lockplate and installed the GM Harness K on my car a couple of years ago and it is still working fine. The original Harness K kit was part #88952427, which was superceded by 89023816. GM had some problems with the relays failing in the superceded number, so I made sure I found one of the original kits with the black relays.
I still wonder if GM has resolved the relay problems since they are now planning to put them in additional cars, including the 6 speed cars.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:47 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, got my letter today. I'm wondering if everyone who got the letter stating: THIS IS NOT A RECALL, had the re-programming done on the 04006 Recall. I didn't, and still get notices. I am the original owner.

Below is the content of the letter I received: All red is my emphasis.

SAFETY RECALL REMINDER
General Motors is very interested in your safety and continued satisfaction with your vehicle. Our records show that although your 2000 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicle is subject to an important safety recall, the necessary repairs have not been made. Please follow the instructions below to address this important matter.

In addition, we'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that we've changed the repair procedure. To ensure that you will not experience a failure of the steering column to when you start your car, we will disable the steering column lock.

Dear Chevrolet Customer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Reason For This Recall: General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2000 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles equipped with electronic column lock systems. When you turn your ignition switch to "lock", the system prevents turning of the steering system. When you start your vehicle, it unlocks the steering system. Your vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when you start your car, the fuel supply will be shut off if you try to move your vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering system is locked. If this occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

What Will Be Done: Your Chevrolet dealer will disable the steering column lock. However, PASS-Key and other anti-theft features will still be operational when you remove the ignition key. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

end of direct quote of letter

So now, I'm wondering whether or not, reprogramming of the PCM has anything to do with which letter you received.

Last edited by 2KFRC5; 02-18-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:53 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5
OK, got my letter today. I'm wondering if everyone who got the letter stating: THIS IS NOT A RECALL, had the re-programming done on the 04006 Recall. I didn't, and still get notices. I am the original owner.

Below is the content of the letter I received: All red is my emphasis.

SAFETY RECALL REMINDER
General Motors is very interested in your safety and continued satisfaction with your vehicle. Our records show that although your 2000 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicle is subject to an important safety recall, the necessary repairs have not been made. Please follow the instructions below to address this important matter.

In addition, we'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that we've changed the repair procedure. To ensure that you will not experience a failure of the steering column to when you start your car, we will disable the steering column lock.

Dear Chevrolet Customer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Reason For This Recall: General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2000 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles equipped with electronic column lock systems. When you turn your ignition switch to "lock", the system prevents turning of the steering system. When you start your vehicle, it unlocks the steering system. Your vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when you start your car, the fuel supply will be shut off if you try to move your vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering system is locked. If this occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

What Will Be Done: Your Chevrolet dealer will disable the steering column lock. However, PASS-Key and other anti-theft features will still be operational when you remove the ignition key. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

end of direct quote of letter

So now, I'm wondering whether or not, reprogramming of the PCM has anything to do with which letter you received.
I got the same letter for my 2004 Z06, and I have not done any of the recalls.

As noted above, the letter clearly states that the dealer will "disable the steering column lock". It does not say exactly how they will do that in the letter, but from a previous post that had a link to bulletin 4006C, they will install the Harness K kit, part #89023816.

I removed the lockplate and installed the GM Harness K on my car a couple of years ago and it is still working fine. The original Harness K kit was part #88952427, which was superceded by 89023816. GM had some problems with the relays failing in the superceded number, so I made sure I found one of the original kits with the black relays.
I still wonder if GM has resolved the relay problems since they are now planning to put them in additional cars, including the 6 speed cars.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:03 AM
allmee
Racer

Default Steering Column Lock Recall

I just recieved my recall letter, for my 01 Coupe, about the steering column locking up while the car is moving. GM says this is not a recall, and not to bring the car in to Chevy as a result of this letter, but only if I think this problem exsists! So should I wait till this happens and I crash at 100 MPH and then bring it in!!?? I've owned the car for a year and a half. I was wondering, If I have not had problem by now, is there still a chance I may run into this in the future??

Thanks for the help!

Actually the letter states the steering column may stay locked after the car has been started. I thought I heard that it could also lock up while you are driving.

Last edited by allmee; 02-19-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:23 AM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have been procrastinating doing the CL Recall on my 2001... and have not received the letter you describe.

Actually, I almost wish that GM would extend the warranty for oil consumption more so than the CL issue.

Anyway, has anyone who did not do the CL Recall yet get this letter?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:26 AM
C5Jimmy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allmee
I just recieved my recall letter, for my 01 Coupe, about the steering column locking up while the car is moving. GM says this is not a recall, and not to bring the car in to Chevy as a result of this letter, but only if I think this problem exsists! So should I wait till this happens and I crash at 100 MPH and then bring it in!!?? I've owned the car for a year and a half. I was wondering, If I have not had problem by now, is there still a chance I may run into this in the future??

Thanks for the help!

Actually the letter states the steering column may stay locked after the car has been started. I thought I heard that it could also lock up while you are driving.
From what I've been told, it will not happen while driving. It can happen only when you go to initially start the car. It can happen at any mileage, either. Check the "sticky" threads at the top of C5Tech section, it will explain this in detail. Also, the "recall" fix does NOT guarantee that this will not happen. You also need a CLB (Column Lock Bypass)
Old 02-19-2006, 12:56 AM
allmee
Racer

Cool! Thanks for the info, Jimmy!!

Rob
Old 02-19-2006, 01:03 AM
binkysgarage
Burning Brakes

Got my letter today also, This is not a recall, too late put bypass on long time ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Column lock letter from GM[merged]

Old 02-19-2006, 05:05 AM
5.0_CJ
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There are documented cases where it locked during driving, thats why this letter is in your hand.

(I got one today).
Old 02-19-2006, 05:10 AM
5.0_CJ
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You guys are pissing me off.

I hear you bitch left and right about how GM does nothing to address the problem that is obvious, and now that they do, for FREE will fix your column lock so it does not do this, you can get even more pissed.

I had it happen to me, and my dealer repaired it for free, and now they scheduled me to remove it with my recall letter.

Seriously guys, grow up and be grateful.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:54 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I just bought an 01 6-spd. How do I tell if it has the aftermarket CLB already installed?

Quick Reply: Column lock letter from GM[merged]