C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes Codes Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:52 PM
dwalker011
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes Codes Codes

Its been raining bad down here in MD lately and unfortunately the vette has to be a part of it. I noticed that the drivers side front turn signal/parking light was on. At first I thought I left the parking lights on but, I then realized that it was the only single light that was on. I opened the car and made sure the lights were off. I went to start it and as soon as it started, it immediately shut off and displayed a number of codes and warnings like "Reduced Engine Power, Active Handling, Service Vehicle Soon". Now it won't start at all. Someone please help. Im thinking that the severe rain maybe shorting out circuts. The codes are as follows:

10-PCM
P1631 Theft Deterrent System Password Incorrect
40-BCM
B2482 Backup Lamp Relay Circuit
B2483 Backup Lamp Relay Circuit
B2528 HornRelayCircuit
B2587 Column Lock/Unlock Drive (A)
B2721 PASS-Key Detection Circuit
B0432 Rear Defogger Relay Circuit
B0503 RH DRL Relay Circuit
B0507 LH DRL Relay Circuit
B0508 LH DRL Relay Circuit
B0605 BCM Internal Memory Function
B0-RFA
U1255 Serial Data Line Malfunction
U1096 Loss of Communication with IPC
U1064 Loss of Communication with BCM
U1016 Loss of Communication with PCM
C2120 TPM System Malfunction (No Sensors Received)
58-SDM
U1000 Loss of Communication Undetermined
U1016 Loss of Communication with PCM
U1040 Loss of Communications with TCS
U1064 Loss of Communications with BCM
The car does not have the tire pressure monitoring system sensors. Any help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:57 PM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

does the power window on drivers side work.
Your data circuit is grounded somewhere.
The rubber tunnel that goes from car to door panel.
Squeeze it wiggle it then restart the car se if light goes out.
Also another suggestion the headlight switch is shot.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:53 PM
dwalker011
Racer

The drivers side window does work. I reset the codes and 4 codes came back on. They were B0503, B0507, B2483, and B2587. The car has power but, it just doesn't start. When I turn it, nothing happens.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:24 PM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

is the carpet wet
Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 PM
dwalker011
Racer

Not especially. The car worked fine the day before and now nothing. The rain has been coming down especially hard and the car does sit very low to the ground but, I can't understand why it won't start. Should I try a push start?
I appreciate your help NOT-MEE
Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 PM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by dwalker011
The drivers side window does work. I reset the codes and 4 codes came back on. They were B0503, B0507, B2483, and B2587. The car has power but, it just doesn't start. When I turn it, nothing happens.
Disconnect battery try to start in the morning.
Is the car in a garage or outside in the rain.

B0503 RH DRL Relay Circuit
B0507 LH DRL Relay Circuit
B2483 Backup Lamp Relay Circuit
B2587 Column Lock/Unlock Drive (A)
Old 06-26-2006, 11:38 PM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by dwalker011
Not especially. The car worked fine the day before and now nothing. The rain has been coming down especially hard and the car does sit very low to the ground but, I can't understand why it won't start. Should I try a push start?
I appreciate your help NOT-MEE
could pcm have gotten wet?
It is beneath battery if water got high you could of toasted pcm..
Old 06-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Most of your codes are Body Control Module related!! Sounds like your BCM got wet or damp! I strongly recommend removing the toe board in the passengers foot well and see if there is any moisture on, at or in the BCM! There are a ton of water paths but the most common one is a stopped up HVAC drain which will allow water from the HVAC system to drain on the BCM. If it gets wet or DAMP, well,,you have those symptoms! When mine was wet, it had the same symptoms. Feel the carpet and the carpet underlayment under the passengers seat (thats where the water pools/collects once it enters the foot well.)
If the carpets are wet, REMOVE THE CARPET and let it dry properly or it will mildew. If the BCM did get wet, disconnect the battery , remove the BCM and put it some where that is warm to help it dry the board inside the silver box.

Let us know what you see and how things turn out!

Bill Curlee
Old 06-27-2006, 12:45 AM
dwalker011
Racer

It rained extremely hard and it is very possible that a number of parts could have gotten wet as the car does sit on the street(I wish I had a garage). I will check the carpet in the morning for moisture. Im praying that when everything warms up and drys, that the car will start.
Any ideas on why the car started and then immediately shut off and started displaying the numerous warning on the DIC? Im hoping that the motor did not get hydolocked or anything crazy like that. I figure if that happened, I would have some obvious way of knowing like a violent shut down or something. Thanks again Bill and NOT-MEE. I've learned how to do and fix so much on this forum from guys like you.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:18 AM
pwo
Red Scorpion
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-VIII Veteran

I had/have a similar problem - no rain, but possibly steam cleaning the engine and/or washing the car (and shampooing the floor mats). The car showed the same/similar symptoms (error codes, electrical systems inoperable, then did not start at all). The thread is here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1429646

The good (?) news: the car started and worked perfectly on Monday. It's still at the dealership, as they try to find the root cause. which, if it was moisture, is a moot point by now.

I start to understand why some people don't like to drive there vettes in the rain - with roofs flying off they could get wet, and when the vette gets wet, the vette might die. not good....

--pwo
Old 06-27-2006, 02:01 AM
dwalker011
Racer

I love the picture in your post pwo. Thats seriously too funny. Im praying that its just water and that it will work once its dry. I have power, it just won't start.

Last edited by dwalker011; 06-27-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:07 AM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Well the one thing you can do if car got hydrolocked or electronics got wet from rising water. You can file it under your insurance.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The C5 and for that matter the C4 and C6 are designed and tested and made to drive and survive in all weather conditions. From the desert heat to the rain in Washington state to the winters in Maine! Leaving your car out in the rain shouldn't have any effect on it.

Then there are the flaws that the designers didn't anticipate.

The car was NOT designed to have water inside the passengers compartment! Look where the BCM is located. The the box is NOT water tight and the circuit board is NOT conformal coated (moisture/water sealed).

If that BCM circuit board gets wet, toss the dice on what it will effect. Yes it can cause the car to not start. Ask me how I found out????

If the carpet /underlayment is wet, you need to figure out what design flaw you were cursed with. There are a bunch and most are relative easy to fix.

Trust me on this one: Remove the carpet( It will NOT dry on it own) and figure out where the water is entering the foot well. Your most likely entry point is the HVAC drain tube:

The drain tube is on the fire wall on the passengers side. Its on the same plane as the plane of the passengers cylinder head. The flashlight beam is highlighting the area where the tube is located:

It is best to reach the tube from the under side of the car. If you have headers, get it from the top!

The tube has a tendency to clog up with slime. The condensation builds up in the air box and eventually floods back into the foot well.

You can remove the rubber tube and smip off the crimped end for better flow. make sure that the metal drain tube is free and clear.

Bill C
Old 06-28-2006, 05:03 AM
dwalker011
Racer

Thanks for the pics Bill. I did take both driver and passenger side carpet out yesterday. The car was starting to stink already. I was amazed at how much water was in each compartment, especially the passengers side. I cleaned them with a handheld electric cleaner and they are drying nicely.

I also removed the BCM and allowed it to dry on top of my toaster oven. I then plugged it back in and was able to get my windows to roll up(they didn't work the night before). The car still wouldn't start though. I got a few warning messages saying, "Reduced Engine Power, Low Voltage, Pull Key and Wait Ten Seconds, and Service Vehicle Soon". Could it be that everything is still wet and that is why the car won't turn over? At this point the battery might be weak but, I would think that I would get the infamous clicking sound upon trying to start it with a dead or low battery. It seems like I am getting most of my features back but still no dice on the start. Could some of the fuses or relays be grounding out? I can hear my fuel pump come on line.

Its still raining good down here so ill have to wait to search for the leak but, thats going to be a priority. Im hoping the rain stops soon and we get some nice warm air to dry the car out. Im starting to worry about this no starting thing. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by dwalker011; 06-28-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 AM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Sound like you need to replace bcm.
Check fuses/
If you had that much water I wouldn't doubt the bcm went south.
Also check your battery.
Were the windows down during the storm?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

When you state that the car will not start, do you mean that the engine will not turn over or it turns over but will not fire? Here is what I would do. Make sure that ALL of the water is cleaned up. Make sure that the BCM is dry. Disconnect the battery and clean the cable and battery terminals. While the BCM is drying, charge the battery. Heat the oven to around 110 -120 degrees and put it in the oven for a couple of hours. Make sure that the oven is NOT turned on, just pre heated.

Once the BCM is dry and the battery is fully charged, reinstall the cables on to the battery. The need to be TORQUED to 11 ft/lbs.

Clear all of the DTC codes in the DIC.

This is the absolute best C5 Code web site!!!

http://www.corvettedoctor.com/Code_Main.html
http://www.corvettedoctor.com/index.html

[www.corvettedoctor.com

Go to “technical data base” and then to “Corvette ECM Computer Codes”. Then select your year car. Read the instructions and then scroll down to the "READ MORE" window to view the code definitions.

Attempt to restart the car. If that fails, there is a BCM re-sync procedure that you can try. I will have to provide it to you later tonight. I do not have it hear at work.

If your BCM is dead, you will need the BCM re-sync procedure to install the new BCM. If you need to buy a new BCM, get one from one of the forum vendors like fichtners or Fred Bean Chevy. They are a LOT less money!

BC

BC
Old 06-28-2006, 02:15 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

How old is your battery? As Bill states charge it or even try to jump it after everything dry's up. I'm in Maryland to so I know the deal on how much water your are talking about. I got caught in it last week. Some of these codes have popped up on firends cars that had a weak battery. Just a thought. Don

Get notified of new replies

To Codes Codes Codes

Old 06-28-2006, 06:36 PM
dwalker011
Racer

The windows were up during the storm. I rolled them down the next day to allow some ventilation but, when the next storm came, I couldn't get them up. I did have the car cover on at this point though.

As far as the starting, the car will not actually turn over. Everything seems to be pretty dry now, so I would like to do that BCM resync procedure today. Im also going to put some jumpers on the car to make sure the battery is not an issue here. Id like to pull that drain hose off as well and see if thats what caused this massive leak.

Thanks for the help guys, especially Bill. PM me whenever you have a chance to get the BCM resync procedure up.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:17 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Clear your codes! Then turn on the ignition and then recheck the codes. I bet your BCM is fine! There is Theft Deterrent relay above the BCM on the fire wall. You will need to see if that relay has power and will actually allow the car to start. The relay has a heavy gage RED and PURPLE wire and a thin yellow and a yellow/black stripe wire.

Check that relay and see if the RED wire has 12 VDC.

When my 98 failed, the relay was full of water!! It had water in it for so long that the contacts rusted off!

Do you have a manual or auto C5?

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a picture of the page that has the start and security/safety circuit so you can check and see if that is your problem.

BC
Old 06-29-2006, 05:41 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
When you state that the car will not start, do you mean that the engine will not turn over or it turns over but will not fire? Here is what I would do. Make sure that ALL of the water is cleaned up. Make sure that the BCM is dry. Disconnect the battery and clean the cable and battery terminals. While the BCM is drying, charge the battery. Heat the oven to around 110 -120 degrees and put it in the oven for a couple of hours. Make sure that the oven is NOT turned on, just pre heated.

Once the BCM is dry and the battery is fully charged, reinstall the cables on to the battery. The need to be TORQUED to 11 ft/lbs.

Clear all of the DTC codes in the DIC.

This is the absolute best C5 Code web site!!!

http://www.corvettedoctor.com/Code_Main.html
http://www.corvettedoctor.com/index.html

[www.corvettedoctor.com

Go to “technical data base” and then to “Corvette ECM Computer Codes”. Then select your year car. Read the instructions and then scroll down to the "READ MORE" window to view the code definitions.

Attempt to restart the car. If that fails, there is a BCM re-sync procedure that you can try. I will have to provide it to you later tonight. I do not have it hear at work.

If your BCM is dead, you will need the BCM re-sync procedure to install the new BCM. If you need to buy a new BCM, get one from one of the forum vendors like fichtners or Fred Bean Chevy. They are a LOT less money!

BC

BC
Bill knows his vettes

Quick Reply: Codes Codes Codes