C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Stalling upon clutch release - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:57 AM
paul6585
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Stalling upon clutch release - Help!

'01 MN6 Vert - Title says it all. Engine stalls just as car begins to move when in 1st or reverse. Happened 3 times so far. Twice when engine was cold, another time after a short trip (5 miles). After 3 to 5 attempts she finnally gets going without stalling, then no additional indication of problems. Feels like fuel or spark shuts off. No coughing, just clean shut off.
I pulled codes but the only codes are related to left and right door control module so I assume they have nothing to do with the stalling issue.
FYI- AOLDCM Codes are: B2282H, B2284H, B2262H, B2264H, U1064H
AI RDCM Codes are: B2283H, B2285H, U1064H

Any help appreciated. thank you
Old 07-13-2006, 11:26 AM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

you're giving it enough gas right?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM
paul6585
Intermediate

Yes, I am giving it enough gas. It is not operator error. (I was afraid someone would say that.) Thanks anyway.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:56 AM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by paul6585
Yes, I am giving it enough gas. It is not operator error. (I was afraid someone would say that.) Thanks anyway.
I figured as much... didn't want to patronise ya - but i had to ask... heheh

Your DTC isn't showing any codes in the PCM, and it's still turning off eh? Hmm... i don't know what to tell ya. Does it Idle ok?

Dan
Old 07-13-2006, 12:45 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

column lock!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

have you seen a message "PULL KEY--WAIT 10 SEC" or is your security light flashing?? You will normally see this problem with either of those messages. The security system tells the PCM to cut fuel if the cylinder lock doesnt see the correct resistor pellet in the key! Try your spare ignition key and see if it makes a difference!!

BC
Old 07-13-2006, 03:00 PM
paul6585
Intermediate

I had the Column Lock Bypass installed 2 yrs ago when i first pruchased the car used and never had a problem. There is no "PULL KEY--WAIT 10 SEC" message either. The car starts with no problem but stalls just before clutch is fully released. Thanks for the feedback.
Any other ideas?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:51 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Check the spark plug gaps.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:53 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Does the car stall in neutral with the clutch out ?

If so, I would look at the clutch safety switch.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 PM
viper8u2
Drifting

check your battery terminals

I mean physically check to make sure they are tight

Happened to me

Mike
Old 07-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Does the car stall in neutral with the clutch out ?

If so, I would look at the clutch safety switch.

Nope,,,not the problem! The clutch safety switch ONLY prevents the engine from starting if the clutch isn't depressed! It has nothing to do with causing or allowing the car to stall, shut off or turn off!

BC
Old 07-14-2006, 09:42 AM
wantmyc5
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know you said you had the bypass installed, but this is the exact same problem I had a few months ago with my 98. I brought it to the dealer and had the recall done and no problems since.

Fyi - they used to reprogram the computer to take care of the problem, but now they are replacing parts entirely. This just started a few months ago. I had the reprogram done and still had the problem. Could be the same issue if you have the bypass. Not sure, but it's worth having the dealer check since this fix is at no charge to you if needed.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:58 AM
grd24fan
Intermediate

I have a 2000 vette and the recall was done on mine twice with both of them replacing the wiring harness back in '05. I have had my vette stall on me once time when releasing the clutch in first, but it did not kill the car, it just acted like it couldn't get fuel. I just let kept hitting the gas and it was fine. But it has not done it since. I don't know what else to do about this really. As I said before, its only done it once to me and I drove it yesterday and it did not do it. So I think has had the wiring harness replaced so there isn't much more you can do. Just letting you know I'm having somewhat of a problem with that.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Architect
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a failing fuel pump. Idle will be fine but upon a sudden increase in throttle, the pressure drops off. A failed pump is obviously an easy diagnosis, however, a failing pump is difficult. You will usually register the appropriate pressure required to prime for initial start-up thus rendering a pressure reading - useless. It's worth a shot though. Do a search for proper fuel pressure reading prior to cranking. If you haven't already, replace the fuel filter. A clogged filter could very well be the culprit. Enough flow for idle but reduced upon acceleration.
Good luck!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM
SIXTY7SS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blast from the past, but I am having the exact same problem with my car. I went to get it out of storage in my father's barn and the thing cuts out when the clutch is about to fully disengage.

Did the original poster ever figure this out? I'll be looking into the fuel filter and steering column lock and other fuel cut off issues
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
alankb
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but if you start a new thread you're flamed for not searchin....
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by alankb
Yeah, but if you start a new thread you're flamed for not searchin....
Then search.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Stalling upon clutch release - Help!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 PM
SIXTY7SS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Nothing like bringing back to life a 5 year old thread. Forum rules are nothing older than 45 days. Time to post your own new thread.

Your battery is low. Charge or replace it. Your experiencing the fuel shutoff related to the column lock symptoms. Happens when the battery voltage measured across the posts with the neg battery cable disconnected is 12.5 volts or less.
Like I said, I realize the thread was old before I replied. I figured it would be prudent to not start a new thread. I did search and read a number of threads before deciding to reply to this one (there are a couple others out there like this, but none with an answer to the problem) Good thing I did ask I got a possible answer! Now we have a thread with a start and possibly and end!

The battery is charging as we speak so fingers crossed that when i head out there i don't waste a trip.
The following users liked this post:
Donald Travis (11-13-2021)
Old 06-20-2011, 06:43 PM
SIXTY7SS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Before this problem did wheel lock with no key in the ignition?

If your car has the GM K hareness installed, you will likely need to disconnect BOTH ends of it even after the battery is fully charged. K Harness looks like this :

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ky-please.html

Then scroll down to the first pic.

It's located behind the drivers side knee bolster physically in series between the column lock motor and the connector that goes to the BCM. K Harness is recognised by a female connector that has only two wires going into it, one white and 1 purple. If you have it disconnect the male connector from the lock motor, (wires appear to go up into the column) and disconnect the male connector of the K harness (plugged into a female connector attached to the bottom of the dash). Then plug the lock motor male connector into the female connector that is attached to the bottom of the dash. This returns the wiring to factory. K Harness is MOST likely fried from the low battery and isn't needed anyway.

If you have not dropped the drivers side knee bolster before read the first part of this link:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24
Thank you. Yep, I need to read the column lock thread again and let it sink in. I do have a column lock bypass ready to install, and had the recall completed last year when the column locked up on me at work. I'll research the steps and report back when i wrap it up. The column lock message was NOT registering, but that may have been because the check gauges message was popping up also.

Just to re-state your comment, you think the fuel is cutting out due to the 2mph PCM re-program mentioned in the Steering Column Lock FAQ thread, here..."Q I have a MN6/M12 car, what will the recall do?
A IF you have a MN6/M12 car, the recall does NOT disable your column lock motor. It simply re-programs your PCM to guarantee your fuel is shut off at speeds above 2 mph so you cannot drive your car with the steering column locked. The column lock failure can still occur at any time and you will most likely be stranded somewhere needing to be towed to the nearest dealer for repair when it occurs. "
The following users liked this post:
Donald Travis (11-13-2021)
Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 PM
SIXTY7SS
Intermediate

8VETTE7,
It is a 2001 6 speed coupe. The recall was done in 2010.

Before this problem started the car had just been backed out of the garage and driven 20 feet with no problems, I shut the car off, then when I started it again the problem started. I did not pull the key from the dash in between. So, the wheel was not locked with no key in the ignition.

Quick Reply: Engine Stalling upon clutch release - Help!