C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light for Automatic Shift Indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:29 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Just went out and tried and the lens and white piece came out pretty easy without breaking anything. Prying up on the passenger side got the lens up, and on the bottom and the lifting gently and pivoting to the side got the plastic part underneath out. The bulb, not so easy. It was really stuck, but finally got it out with some hemostats with tape on them. Still not easy. Now I need to go get a 194 bulb and see if I can get it back together without breaking the little orange tab.
I did not remove anything other than the two pieces mentioned and the bulb.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default See my last post - can you remove the shifter indicator this way?

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Just went out and tried and the lens and white piece came out pretty easy without breaking anything. Prying up on the passenger side got the lens up, and on the bottom and the lifting gently and pivoting to the side got the plastic part underneath out. The bulb, not so easy. It was really stuck, but finally got it out with some hemostats with tape on them. Still not easy. Now I need to go get a 194 bulb and see if I can get it back together without breaking the little orange tab.
I did not remove anything other than the two pieces mentioned and the bulb.
As I posted my shift indicator is broken now. Can you pry off the plastic lens and replace the red indicator without removing the boot?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
No need to pull console, radio bezel or boot. Details here with instructions to replace original bulb with LED.
Good info! Thanks for posting!
Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by bighank
As I posted my shift indicator is broken now. Can you pry off the plastic lens and replace the red indicator without removing the boot?
Sorry, I didn't go that far in. I just took off the indicator lens and changed the bulb. You can certainly see and touch the red part, but I don't know how it's attached.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:02 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is about a 1 hr job to change the orange indicator. The console must be lifted and the boot around the shifter lifted up then you can snap out the indicator and change the broken part. Check the links on changing the boot from Corvette Essentials and it will show you how to remove the boot. You do not have to remove the shifter ****.

Quick Reply: Light for Automatic Shift Indicator?