C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any additional tuning required when installing a Shaner ported throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Any additional tuning required when installing a Shaner ported throttle body?

Title pretty well says it. I have a heads, cam, intake, injectors, longtubes, Blackwing, GHL catback, screenless MAF, Yank SS3200, etc., car with a full dyno tune. I just picked up a Shaner ported and polished throttle body. Do I need any additional tuning, or should I be all right just mounting it and driving with it. Thanks for any input.
Ed

Last edited by C5XTASY; 09-14-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, you should be fine. Install it and drive..
Old 09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

I thought I might have to have things adjusted to allow for the greater air flow at lesser throttle openings. Will A/F ratios remain okay?
Ed
Old 09-14-2006, 09:20 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

When I did my throttle body, my tuner said it gives it about a 3% lean condition when done correctly. I'm not sure if the computer can compensate for this or not, but he redid the tune on mine and I could tell a difference between with the tune and without. I had driven the car for only about 30 miles with the throttle body done before the tune, so that may not have been enough time for the computer to make its changes. Just my experience.
Your mods are more extensive than mine, so that may make a difference. I have longtubes, x-pipe, Corsa pros, Blackwing, ported throttle body, with a street tune not a dyno tune.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 AM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With you mods and tune the throttlebody wont make a difference in the AFR. The MAF will see the greater airflow and put you in the correct cell for the airflow...
Old 09-14-2006, 11:44 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Depending on how deep Mark had to go due to voids, your startup RPM may be high. You may need to adjust the startup parameters.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:44 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Depending on how deep Mark had to go due to voids, your startup RPM may be high. You may need to adjust the startup parameters.

I guess the only thing to do is to stick it on and give it a try. I was concerned about possibly running lean with it. I'll check with my tuner, DRM motorsports, also, and see what they have to say. Interesting...
Ed
Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2000C-5
When I did my throttle body, my tuner said it gives it about a 3% lean condition when done correctly. I'm not sure if the computer can compensate for this or not, but he redid the tune on mine and I could tell a difference between with the tune and without. I had driven the car for only about 30 miles with the throttle body done before the tune, so that may not have been enough time for the computer to make its changes. Just my experience.
Your mods are more extensive than mine, so that may make a difference. I have longtubes, x-pipe, Corsa pros, Blackwing, ported throttle body, with a street tune not a dyno tune.

This is interesting to me. By 3% lean, do you mean 3% leaner than current A/F ratio? For example: If my current A/F was 12.5 would it move it to 12.88?
Ed
Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
This is interesting to me. By 3% lean, do you mean 3% leaner than current A/F ratio? For example: If my current A/F was 12.5 would it move it to 12.88?
Ed
This is what I assumed he was saying, as that was the data that he was looking at when he said it. He basically said, in conversation, that a good port job would lean you out about 3% and that I had not reached that yet. He then asked if I done the backside and I said I had not. I had also not filled in the rectangle port and JB welded in a piece of tubing, smoothing out that whole area. Once I did that and did a little more porting, I returned it to him, he then said that it was where it needed to be.
I will call him tomorrow and find out for sure so I don't post anything misleading.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:37 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

You could also just call Mark and talk to him, he is a very nice guy and fun to talk to
Old 09-16-2006, 08:46 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

This is what I assumed he was saying, as that was the data that he was looking at when he said it. He basically said, in conversation, that a good port job would lean you out about 3% and that I had not reached that yet. He then asked if I done the backside and I said I had not. I had also not filled in the rectangle port and JB welded in a piece of tubing, smoothing out that whole area. Once I did that and did a little more porting, I returned it to him, he then said that it was where it needed to be.
I will call him tomorrow and find out for sure so I don't post anything misleading.

Sounds great! Thanks...
Ed
Old 09-18-2006, 05:50 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Yea, I know, it's not tomorrow, but better late than never. I finally talked to him yesterday and he said that it was 3% on the A/F ratio.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:07 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Yea, I know, it's not tomorrow, but better late than never. I finally talked to him yesterday and he said that it was 3% on the A/F ratio.

So, then it would move whatever A/F ratio a person had 3% leaner, as mentioned earlier in the example of a 12.5 A/F moving to 12.88? I wonder if that's enough to make any discernable difference in performance or potential harm to the motor?
Ed
Old 09-19-2006, 12:37 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

So, then it would move whatever A/F ratio a person had 3% leaner, as mentioned earlier in the example of a 12.5 A/F moving to 12.88? I wonder if that's enough to make any discernable difference in performance or potential harm to the motor?
Ed
Correct.
It definately mades a difference on mine. I could tell a difference immediately, just driving down my driveway (it's about 1/4 mile long), on the low end throttle response.
I doubt there is any danger of doing any harm to the motor, because my tuner told me to drive it for a few days and then bring it to him and he would re-do my tune. The low end throttle response was noticeably better, but the top end felt a little soft. The re-tune took care of that.

Last edited by 'VETTE PHASE; 09-19-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:03 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Correct.
It definately mades a difference on mine. I could tell a difference immediately, just driving down my driveway (it's about 1/4 mile long), on the low end throttle response.
I doubt there is any danger of doing any harm to the motor, because my tuner told me to drive it for a few days and then bring it to him and he would re-do my tune. The low end throttle response was noticeably better, but the top end felt a little soft. The re-tune took care of that.

Out of curiosity, what sort of mods do you have and what kind of tune did you have prior to the throttle body install? Mark told me this, in an email last year, when I was thinking about installing one of his throttle bodies:
"No retune is needed as long as you have a good tune already. The ECM will relearn in a couple of days of driving. I have seen some very big gains with a retune on a few cars that have had poor tunes to start with though. 1 car made 27 and another made 21 more HP by getting a retune. This is very rare and if your tune is good, a retune might only get you a couple of HP."
The reason I started this thread was to see if people had experienced significant improvement when installing a ported throttle body, without a tune. I have a full dyno tune in the car now, and with mymods, the car is very strong. I am waiting on the arrival of the piece and am anxious to install it. I will have to check with Doug Rippie and see if it would be worth a retune, considering my exisiting state of tune. I believe the improved throttle response will be there, tune or not, as porting gives an effectively greater throttle opening at any given throttle position.
Ed

Last edited by C5XTASY; 09-19-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:27 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Out of curiosity, what sort of mods do you have and what kind of tune did you have prior to the throttle body install? Mark told me this, in an email last year, when I was thinking about installing one of his throttle bodies:
"No retune is needed as long as you have a good tune already. The ECM will relearn in a couple of days of driving. I have seen some very big gains with a retune on a few cars that have had poor tunes to start with though. 1 car made 27 and another made 21 more HP by getting a retune. This is very rare and if your tune is good, a retune might only get you a couple of HP."
The reason I started this thread was to see if people had experienced significant improvement when installing a ported throttle body, without a tune. I have a full dyno tune in the car now, and with mymods, the car is very strong. I am waiting on the arrival of the piece and am anxious to install it. I will have to check with Doug Rippie and see if it would be worth a retune, considering my exisiting state of tune. I believe the improved throttle response will be there, tune or not, as porting gives an effectively greater throttle opening at any given throttle position.
Ed
Prior to the ported throttle body, I had a Magnaflow x-pipe, Corsa Pace Cars, coolant bypass, 172 degree thermostat, Z06 airbox, and an LS1-edit street tune. This was the cars first tune and it was mainly to remove the skip shift and to turn the temps down on the fans, and secondly, to tie the few mods I had done, together.
He told me about porting the throttle body, so I came home, got on Corvetteforum.com and learned how to port it. Like I said, it was not so much a big horsepower gain, as it was better throttle response on the bottom, just off of idle. This was with just 15 miles since getting the first tune.
After a few days I took it back to him to get his approval or disapproval on the port job. He showed me a few things extra to do on the throttle body, so I did a little more work on it, including taking the lip out of the backside and filling in the big hole for the valve cover vent (replacing it with a piece of tubing cut at the same angle as the throttle body). On the next trip, with about 30 miles since the first tune, I bought a used Blackwing from him while I was at his shop and swapped the Z06 airbox out, this was when he did the second tune, which I could feel on the top end. Some of this was probably from the Blackwing, but there was definately better throttle response with just the throttle body.
Now, with the mods you have, especially the H/C, you may not feel a difference, since, I would say, your throttle response is outrageous anyway.
Not to change the subject, but I am shopping for H/C right now. What did you use and what gains did you get from it? After this, I will be getting a dyno tune.

Last edited by 'VETTE PHASE; 09-19-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any additional tuning required when installing a Shaner ported throttle body?

Quick Reply: Any additional tuning required when installing a Shaner ported throttle body?