C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Lifting Question -- Hopefully a Quick One

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 PM
newgene
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another Lifting Question -- Hopefully a Quick One

I have been reading for nearly an hour on the proper way to lift the C5, and I have a specific question some folks may know. I have a 2-post lift in my garage, and I am using it for pretty much one of the first few times. I have the flat lifting pads that can flip up to catch frames, etc. Here's my question. Is it possible to lift the vehicle without the use of jacking pucks?

If not, I'm about to order a set. I am also reading where you don't need them for the front, but I don't mind ordering a set of 4 if that is absolutely what I need to do to lift the vehicle.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:34 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

If you have a lift, go get four hockey pucks.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:05 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Also depends somewhat on your two post lift...if the arms are to long or are not asymmetrical, you might have to use blocks of wood on top of the arms inward from the ends. The blocks of wood would have to be positioned under the lifting pucks. A permanent hard plastic puck can be obtained fairly inexpensively from your friendly BMW dealership. They snap into the frame and are left in place.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Here's a C5 lifted on a 2-poster with pucks.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 AM
newgene
Racer

Originally Posted by Patches
Here's a C5 lifted on a 2-poster with pucks.

Thanks for the pick. I recognize the blue and yellow. I have the Rotary 10,000 lb asymetric. I ordered the pucks from Elite Engineering today. That looks like a great place to lift it.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

You can actually get by with just 2 pucks. Per the Service Manual they are only required in the rear so the lift pad clears the rocker panel. In the front there is more than enough room for the lift pad to clear the rocker so the puck is not required.
Bill
Old 01-02-2007, 07:19 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

I have not lifted my car yet since i bought in Dec. cause i don't have a decent jack yet.
Can someone point out on the above pic the points to use if lifting the front and rear from the center. There are several posts but no pics showing exactly the spot. I dont want to f@*k up my car!

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chris308
I have not lifted my car yet since i bought in Dec. cause i don't have a decent jack yet.
Can someone point out on the above pic the points to use if lifting the front and rear from the center. There are several posts but no pics showing exactly the spot. I dont want to f@*k up my car!

Thanks.
A quick look under the car will reveal the exact spots. Under the car and just behind the rear of the front fender you will find an area about 4"X4" where the plastic does not wrap around the frame. In this area you will find a elongated hole about 3/8" X 1 1/2", this is where the puck fits and the exact spot you want to jack from. You find a similar area and hole in the frame in front of the rear wheel well, this is your rear jacking point. You'll recognize them when you see them.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:03 PM
John G Pircsuk
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks.
I had my local weld shop make me some bridges that pin to my jack...and then added supports/rubber directly under the preferred jacking points. The bridges have metal welded on the bottom that fit directly into my jacks. The weight should be on the ends of the x-member as shown in my pics below...which are the preferred jacking locations per the Service Manual. The Service manual is pretty specific on that. I'm not saing your x-member will break in half or anything. A lot of people do it...but a lot of people wouldn't. Heres a decent thread on using jackstands that has information on jacking. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1545864 and here is a good thread on the C6 section: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=jacking+c5
Attached Images       

Last edited by John G Pircsuk; 01-02-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:39 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A simple answer to your question would be
Lift in the general frame area of the puck holes and make sure you have rocker panel clearance
Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 AM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

thanks,

thats what i was looking for. the proper x-member and spot to lift it from the front and rear center.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 AM
John G Pircsuk
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks,

thats what i was looking for. the proper x-member and spot to lift it from the front and rear center.

Thats what I thought you were asking...Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 PM
newgene
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You can actually get by with just 2 pucks. Per the Service Manual they are only required in the rear so the lift pad clears the rocker panel. In the front there is more than enough room for the lift pad to clear the rocker so the puck is not required.
Bill
I know have 4 pucks and a 2-post lift. Would you use all 4 pucks if you have them, or would you just use the 2 in the back?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I use rocker rails and can lift anywhere on the side. no need for them stupid jacking pucks.
I use a Bend Pak 10,000 2 post
Old 01-10-2007, 05:43 PM
newgene
Racer

I'm guessing I need the stupid hockey pucks, then.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:33 PM
70Stang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO....You do NOT need the pucks...

If you have a lift with the flip up portions on the pads, you can flip them up and then raise the car...

The pucks are only for clearence, which you will achieve with the flipping of the small pads.

You are good to go, we use the same lifts as you.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Lifting Question -- Hopefully a Quick One

Quick Reply: Another Lifting Question -- Hopefully a Quick One