C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 04:31 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50

You can buy jacking pucks for a Corvette online for $40, but for all of us tight wads out there, why not make them for $2.50 each? You can make 4 of them in 10 minutes. All you need is an Ice Hockey Puck ($1.99 each) and a 5/16" eye bolt (~50 cents). In a home shop or at the track, you only need one.

Since the eyebolt is 5/16", use a drill bit that is one size smaller and the bolt will just screw into the hard rubber of the puck (no nut needed). Cut the bolt off with a hacksaw or chopsaw so that it does not go all the way through the puck. If you want, you do not have to drill the hole all the way through for a more finished look.

Leave the eye bolt sticking up on the top side 1/4" so it has room to turn and lock in the slot on the bottom of your car.

Here is a link to a $1.99 hockey puck if you can't buy them locally.
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Guard-Prac...sporting-goods

When used with a low profile racing jack like the Torin Big Red, this puck allows you to jack your car without pulling up on ramp blocks.

If you are looking for a new jack that will fit under a lowered Z06, here is a good one that has served me well.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3357_200313357

Let me know if this was helpful.

Good luck and enjoy.

Rich
Attached Images    

Last edited by MadDogZ06; 01-21-2007 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-21-2007, 05:16 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Handy tip. There was a thread on here before on this topic that was essentially the same but must have been deleted. I used 1/4" eye screws with wood screw threads instead of eye bolts with a machine screw threads to get a positive lock. I also found that if I left the eye a quarter inch above the puck that the assembly would rotate and fall out of the slot. I screwed the eye all the way down to the puck to get friction between the eye and the inside of the jacking puck slot to keep the puck from falling out.

Charlie
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default Home Made Jacking Pucks

Originally Posted by cruisemon
Handy tip. There was a thread on here before on this topic that was essentially the same but must have been deleted. I used 1/4" eye screws with wood screw threads instead of eye bolts with a machine screw threads to get a positive lock. I also found that if I left the eye a quarter inch above the puck that the assembly would rotate and fall out of the slot. I screwed the eye all the way down to the puck to get friction between the eye and the inside of the jacking puck slot to keep the puck from falling out.

Charlie
Charlie,

Yea, I was suprised that I could not find anything on this when I searched. I never thought to search "archived" threads. However, I just did this and still did not find anything. Oh well, we have it for reference now.

For some reason on my 2002 Z06, I must have the 1/4" of clearance just to turn and make a solid lock. Less than that and it will not turn to lock in place (just falls out). It's certainly easy to adjust, regardless of what clearance you need. A marketing guy woudl say they are "fully adjustable".

I wish my dealership had used these on my last Z06. They broke my rocker panel lifting the car and denied it was them.

Rich
Old 01-21-2007, 05:51 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Another great tip! Where are the archived threads?

As for the pucks, maybe I saw them on parts or over on "that" auction and they had a picture of them and I stole the idea. That's probably more like what happened.

Charlie
Old 01-21-2007, 05:56 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may find this thread interesting reading, post #11:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=hockey+puck

Last edited by tsts; 01-21-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:37 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tsts
DUDE! This is the one I mentioned! I couldn't find it. But I remembered it.

Thanks

Charlie
Old 01-21-2007, 06:55 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Tight wade here! I will do this this tuesday on my day off! Good job!

Just can't seem to spend that much on jacking puck's!

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-21-2007, 08:51 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Default The inspection stations

This is a great idea.
What do you do about the state inspection stations that won't use pads on their lifts?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:11 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default Bring your own pucks!

Originally Posted by cartop2
This is a great idea.
What do you do about the state inspection stations that won't use pads on their lifts?
Bring your own $2.50 pucks!!

Rich
Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default The missing mother pucking thread

Originally Posted by tsts
Ahhhh. "Lifting Pucks". I was searching for "Jacking Pucks". Thanks. Now we have answers for both searches.

Rich
Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default Extra bonus - Puck storage on your jack

Originally Posted by MadDog
You can buy jacking pucks for a Corvette online for $40, but for all of us tight wads out there, why not make them for $2.50 each? You can make 4 of them in 10 minutes. All you need is an Ice Hockey Puck ($1.99 each) and a 5/16" eye bolt (~50 cents). In a home shop or at the track, you only need one.

Since the eyebolt is 5/16", use a drill bit that is one size smaller and the bolt will just screw into the hard rubber of the puck (no nut needed). Cut the bolt off with a hacksaw or chopsaw so that it does not go all the way through the puck. If you want, you do not have to drill the hole all the way through for a more finished look.

Leave the eye bolt sticking up on the top side 1/4" so it has room to turn and lock in the slot on the bottom of your car.

Here is a link to a $1.99 hockey puck if you can't buy them locally.
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Guard-Prac...sporting-goods

When used with a low profile racing jack like the Torin Big Red, this puck allows you to jack your car without pulling up on ramp blocks.

If you are looking for a new jack that will fit under a lowered Z06, here is a good one that has served me well.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3357_200313357

Let me know if this was helpful.

Good luck and enjoy.

Rich
I just found out a very cool bonus that is just pucking awesome! The handles on the Torin Race Jacks hold the jacking pucks perfectly. They snap in and will not pop out. There is room for total of 4 (2 on each side). Here is a pic.

Rich
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2007, 09:10 PM
isracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this is going to sound retarded, but I'm a new vette owner and seen jack pucks, and then this thread. Where do you put these? I have only jacked up the car once to change the oil, the way I did it, was drive up onto one ramp on the driver side with the wheel turned to the left so I drive sideways onto the ramp (so it clears the nose) then stick a jack under the cross memeber to jack the car up and put both wheels on the ramps square, then jack the rear end up onto stands.

Does anybody have a picture of where these pucks go, and them in use?

sorry to sound like a tard, but this vette stuff is all new to me.

BTW the car is an 02 Z06, lowered on stock bolts.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:21 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default Where the puck do I put them?

Originally Posted by isracing
Ok, this is going to sound retarded, but I'm a new vette owner and seen jack pucks, and then this thread. Where do you put these? I have only jacked up the car once to change the oil, the way I did it, was drive up onto one ramp on the driver side with the wheel turned to the left so I drive sideways onto the ramp (so it clears the nose) then stick a jack under the cross memeber to jack the car up and put both wheels on the ramps square, then jack the rear end up onto stands.

No problem, we all learned this for the first time at some point.

First of all, you need to be very careful where you jack up this car. You don't want to slide a jack under the center of either the front or rear cross member and start jacking. It is not an SUV. It is a highly optimized, light weight piece of racing technology that we drive on the street. You probably did not do any permanent damage, but you probably don't want to do it that way again.

Do a search on the forums for "jacking points" and you will get lost of help. Here is a diagram.
http://home.earthlink.net/~theadmira...tible/id5.html

Notice you can use the cross members, but not the center. The locations marked with a "3" are the puck locations.

Rich
Old 01-22-2007, 09:30 PM
MadDogZ06
Instructor

Default Jacking your car

I have only jacked up the car once to change the oil, the way I did it, was drive up onto one ramp on the driver side with the wheel turned.
If you do not have a low profile floor jack, you can make some simple ramp boards and use a standard floor jack. Just take some 2x10's and cut them about 30" long with a 45 angle on the end. Drive up on them and you should be able to get your jack under the puck locations. You may need to double stack some boards and stagger them (bottom one longer than the top) if your car is lowered. If you stack them, be sure they are screwed to each other so the boards don't go flying.

I did this for years before finally getting a low profile racing jack (mentioned above). I also glued some non-skid padding (used for foot mats in the house) on the back to keep them from sliding on the slick garage floor.

If you search the forums, you will see lots of suggestions, many of which are better than mine. Good luck.

Rich
Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 AM
isracing
Instructor

Thanks for the tips MadDog, I'll have to check it out next time I'm under the car. I have a bulky old craftsman 900lb (actual weight lol) jack, need to buy one of those almn jacks.

I can build a 1400hp blown alky chevelle, but can't jack up my damn vettte properly hahahah

I'll figure it out...
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I did the same thing back in '98 - been using them ever since. Work great - even on the C6Z!!! Why waste your money? Great tip for those that don't.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 AM
jfrc
Melting Slicks

for us texans, what a waste of a good puck

great idea, i use an assortment of items, one being a chunk of aluminum

Get notified of new replies

To Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50

Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Awesome idea. Will have to head to the sporting goods store this weekend and pick up those pucks.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Good stuff fella's to answer his question! You'll always get an excellent response from here. The only stupid question will be the one you don't ask and end up hurting the Vette!

Bring on the questions!

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-23-2007, 12:08 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Some people use these BMW ones. Snap them in and leave them there.

Quick Reply: Home Made Jacking Pucks for $2.50