C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace the (p1416) air check valve??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 12:21 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

What about a ratcheting box end wrench? I didn't have one at the time, and I seem to remember also switching between a small crescent wrench or small vise grip and the socket. What about a standard socket with a swivel adapter, will that help?
Old 01-09-2023, 07:52 PM
john pease
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default P1416 another fix

I did this a couple of months ago. No need to remove intake or WD-40 enema:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...other-fix.html

I expect it will take me about 30 minutes next time. the trick is to let the WD-40 soak on the threads for several minutes before unthreading the defective valve.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:57 AM
bscadlejr
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got the bolt loosened enough to remove the pipe/bracket/check valve. Finally found the right combination of a swivel wrench and socket. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-10-2023, 10:38 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bscadlejr
I finally got the bolt loosened enough to remove the pipe/bracket/check valve. Finally found the right combination of a swivel wrench and socket. Thanks for the advice!
You're welcome. For clarification, did you use a standard socket or were you able to fish out your dropped swivel socket?
Old 01-10-2023, 11:27 AM
bscadlejr
Heel & Toe

Standard socket with swivel wrench inserted horizontally with just a tiny bit of space to leverage one click at a time, but enough to loosen the bolt.
After putting on the new check valve, I reinstalled the tube and tightened the bracket bolt using the same method.
Need to do another search for the lost socket.
Old 02-19-2023, 12:42 PM
DaveOstrow
Intermediate

hey guys. Looks like we have a solution to the same problem I have. My only question is do we spray the carb cleaner while the engine is on or with the engine off?

[QUOTE=DNQfromMP;1560190669]Hey Bill, first off, an excellent writeup. Secondly, a couple questions for you:

Why and how is the output side of the air pump vacuum controlled?

How does the ECM know the AIR system isnt working? is there just some cold start AFR threshold, and if the AFR is richer than this threshold, then the ECM knows that the AIR system isnt working?

I disconnected my AIR system and now Ive got a check engine light. How can I get this light to shut off without taking my car to a tuner?

Old 02-19-2023, 01:57 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Bill has retired and we haven’t heard from him in months…a solenoid controls the vacuum going to the AIR shutoff valve and with vacuum it opens allowing the air from the pump to the exhaust manifolds…the PCM will turn on the pump and activate the solenoid and the PCM expects to see the O2 sensor voltage decrease and short term fuel trims will then increase…a lean condition is being seen…if both banks are inop you will see a P0410…a 0415 or 0416 for just one bank…you will have to get the MIL tuned out…this is done in closed loop.

Quick Reply: How to replace the (p1416) air check valve??