C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed My Gas Gauge

Old 05-27-2007, 12:03 PM
brucemoose2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Sorry to dig this up... but on the way to CI-8 my gas guage has gone nuts.

I use techron w/ every oil change... and in the past I've had it randomly go to empty and throw the code, but whenever I fill up it always works again.

Well this time it's different... the gauge went to E at an accelerated rate... so I stop to get gas at what I think is 1/8th of a tank... car only holds 9 gallons.

I fill it until it overflows... then the car only reads 5/8ths on the gauge. I drive for about 30 min then it goes to E and "check guages" comes on.... then over the next few hours of driving the guage is all over.

So... I get some techron in there and top off w/ Chevron gas... then it fixes itself and is fine until the ride home today and it goes nuts again... so I got more Techron and topped off again.

No change yet... I hope the 20 gal treatment sitting in there tonight will help some.

I have my car tuned.. can they do the PCM update w/o affecting the engine tune for my Cam etc?

And for the guy that says drive it more.... I have 75,xxx on the car now.. drive the **** out of it... and am just now getting truly screwy things

Anyone know what's involved in replacing the sending unit if it comes to that?

I'm going to keep using seafoam and techron to see what happens.
Are you asking about a PCM update at the dealer to correct the gas guage. I don't know of any such update, and frankly I wouldn't trust them to attempt such an update. But, I do know that when the dealer reflashes the PCM, you need to read the image, reapply any changes you made during tuning to the calibration tables, and reflash again.

By the way, I run Chevron gas ALL the time. My car had the exact problem you're reporting when I bought it - especially on long trips. Running Chevron has totally eliminated it. Maybe you picked up some off-brand gas on the trip, instead of the usual Chevron, Texaco, Mobil, etc? That might do it. Some full tanks of Chevron should clear it up, I hope.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:29 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's usually more expensive, but I always use Chevron and have never had a problem with the guage.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use techron w/ every oil change... and in the past I've had it randomly go to empty and throw the code, but whenever I fill up it always works again.

Well this time it's different... the gauge went to E at an accelerated rate... so I stop to get gas at what I think is 1/8th of a tank... car only holds 9 gallons.

I fill it until it overflows... then the car only reads 5/8ths on the gauge. I drive for about 30 min then it goes to E and "check guages" comes on.... then over the next few hours of driving the guage is all over.

So... I get some techron in there and top off w/ Chevron gas... then it fixes itself and is fine until the ride home today and it goes nuts again... so I got more Techron and topped off again.

No change yet... I hope the 20 gal treatment sitting in there tonight will help some.

I have my car tuned.. can they do the PCM update w/o affecting the engine tune for my Cam etc?

And for the guy that says drive it more.... I have 75,xxx on the car now.. drive the **** out of it... and am just now getting truly screwy things

Hey Cobra,
The only thing I've found to cure the gas gauge problem is replacing the sensors and then using top tier gas.
The passenger side sensor, I'm told is easier to replace but, neither is walk in the park. But, to get mine working right, they had to replace both in the end. I only had the gauge issue after filling up with cheaper gas a few times. Tried the techron and every other easy fix known to man with no success. Then I took it in and had the sensors replaced under warranty. It works fine now and I only use Amoco/BP and Sunoco fuels now.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:06 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Vassili
Clearing the codes won't bring the gas guage back up.
It sure will if the DTC was a history ("H") code.

Don't know about the HUD, but do know that if the gas gage goes to "E" the "RANGE" value on the DIC will either say "LOW FUEL" or show blank. The "MPG" value on the DIC will remain accurate. That's why I always reset one of my trip meters at every fill up, because if the gage goes to "E" then I can at least calculate the remaining range for the tank manually by using the MPG and trip meter.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:10 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SleeperC5
I have had the fuel gauge problem and have cleared the DIC while driving and only result was that the "check gauges" light went out and the gauge needle staid on E.
That's because the DTC was in current mode ... ie, the problem was occurring while you were trying to reset it, so it wouldn't clear and bring the gage back.

The one time my gage went to "E", the DTC was only a history code and clearing the DTC instantly made the gage read normally again.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:15 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5GARY
Guys,
They all have this problem and the best thing to do is.. NOTHING
GM has never found a good fix. In my '99 all you have to do is turn it off and turn it back on again. Rest the computer. The problem comes from the two sensors slightly hanging up, they must move in the correct sequence and in the right time frame or the computer flags it and shuts down the gauge because it thinks you MAY have a real problem.
There was a TSB that re-flashed the computer to make it so the computer wasn't so "sensitive" to throwing the fuel sender DTC - in other words, the criteria to throw the gage DTC was "calmed down" some. I had mine re-flashed a while ago and it's worked fine ever since. I also use Chevron fuel and put a bottle of Redline fuel cleaner in once a year to help keep things clean.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:23 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by brucemoose2
Are you asking about a PCM update at the dealer to correct the gas guage. I don't know of any such update, and frankly I wouldn't trust them to attempt such an update.
Already posted, but here it is again. Applies to 1999 through 2002 models.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=483

1997 through 2000 models had other issues on top of the re-flash fix.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=243

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 05-27-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Iron Chef
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09
CI 8-9-10 Veteran

On my way BACK from CI-VIII, my gauge dropped to empty. Fortunately I had just topped off the night before (and unlike jets, Corvettes don't come with a fuel dump option ), so I just continued to drive it. It came back on for about 10 minutes after 500 miles, then today when I started it, it was back again. I purchased gas in Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky, so I'm wondering if the gas there may have something to do with it.

I'm gonna go through a few tankfuls of "local gas" and see how that goes before I take more aggressive steps.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Techron every oil change (which I assume is at least 5 to 6K miles?) is not frequent enough....

Use 1 to 2 successive tanks of the 20 gal size techron to get the sending units cleaned off....then follow up every 3 tanks or so..thats what I have done for over a year now to maintain my now properly working fuel gauge....
Old 05-29-2007, 07:00 AM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Techron in...

..."every other fill-up, and most important, fill it up just before it gets to the 1/2 tank level, if it isn't driven often. Sitting for several days, with less than a "1/2 tank of gas" (one of the two tanks empty) is inviting sending unit stick-ups. I've done this for 2 years since my 1st "gas guage incident", and had no further problems.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it is bad gas too. I had this problem and a bottle of Techron would always fix it. After about a year of this I moved to a different part of town and started filling up at a new gas station. I've never had this problem since and it has been about 1.5 years since I had to buy a bottle of Techron.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 PM
vetter43
2nd Gear

Default Hard accelaration, dead fuel gauge

My fuel gauge dies on hard acceleration. I found this thread, got into the DICs and cleared them, and I was back in business again. Sure is good to have a Forum.... I would never have figured it out and would have ended up paying the General a lot of cash. Thanks!!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:11 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,386 Likes on 742 Posts

Folks,

I've dealt with this ever since I've owned the car, and other cars whose gauges were never very accurate.

Here's how you can virtually eliminate running nuts about a gas gauge that goes to zero (except for the stupid DIC message, I don't know how to get rid of that thing):

Use a trip odometer to determine how much gas you use. This technique assumes you have some idea of what mileage you get; obviously if you're road racing the numbers will be different.

The C5's gauges are squirrelly, and Techron, Top Tier gas, etc. do *not* solve the problem. It might help, it might do nothing, but the problem will *always* be there. Just like the problem of having rear tires that don't last as long as the fronts; just live with it.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
The following users liked this post:
RonneeB (03-25-2021)
Old 05-31-2007, 02:28 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

I've tracked my Zee's gage and the DIC info (Range & MPG) like a rocket scientist and have found it all to be pretty accurate on my car.

If I use the Trip meter and MPG values on the DIC to calculate how much fuel has been used, and then fill-up right after calculating it will take +/- 0.5 gallons on a 17.5 gal fill up (~3% error) from the calculation. The gage needle and Range values seem to repeat very consistently also.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Folks,

I've dealt with this ever since I've owned the car, and other cars whose gauges were never very accurate.

Here's how you can virtually eliminate running nuts about a gas gauge that goes to zero (except for the stupid DIC message, I don't know how to get rid of that thing):

Use a trip odometer to determine how much gas you use. This technique assumes you have some idea of what mileage you get; obviously if you're road racing the numbers will be different.

The C5's gauges are squirrelly, and Techron, Top Tier gas, etc. do *not* solve the problem. It might help, it might do nothing, but the problem will *always* be there. Just like the problem of having rear tires that don't last as long as the fronts; just live with it.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
While i hear what you are saying....I have heard of many people on the forum who have corrected the issue with techron....(including me)....keeping track with the odometer, mileage etc...yikes too much work, I wanna have fun with my car...

I gues it will *always* be there, but like my allergies, if I take my claritin the symptoms arent there... the same thing for techron and the gas gage....if that doesnt fix it, you might have another issue with the sending unit..
Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Well turns out there are 2 kinds of Techron, the normal stuff, and a bottle labeled Techron Plus. On the plus bottle it specifically says that it removes sulpher deposits that can harm modern fuel level sensors. Apparently that's what makes it "plus". The folks over on Corvettemechanic.com recommend it and say it's pretty much the same formulation as the latest GM fuel system cleaner they use at the dealerships.

Comming home from work yesterday I got 3 "treats 12 gallons" bottles. I put 2 in my tank which had 1/4 tank and then filled up. Gas guage went to full and seems to be working.

I hope this helps the issue... car has been fine for 75,000 miles until now! Of course the wierd electrical **** starts to happen when the extended warranty is gone and I put a cam in

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed My Gas Gauge

Old 05-31-2007, 08:35 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bkazepis
While i hear what you are saying....I have heard of many people on the forum who have corrected the issue with techron....(including me)....keeping track with the odometer, mileage etc...yikes too much work, I wanna have fun with my car...

I gues it will *always* be there, but like my allergies, if I take my claritin the symptoms arent there... the same thing for techron and the gas gage....if that doesnt fix it, you might have another issue with the sending unit..
Actually, there's one important thing I left out from my fuel gauge rant: I use Techron additive regularly; the difference is I use it to keep the fuel injeciton system as clean as possible. I don't have any expectations that it'll help the fuel gauge system be more consistent.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Actually, there's one important thing I left out from my fuel gauge rant: I use Techron additive regularly; the difference is I use it to keep the fuel injeciton system as clean as possible. I don't have any expectations that it'll help the fuel gauge system be more consistent.

Have a good one,
Mike
....are fuel gage problems evident in your car?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Once the fuel level gets down below 1/2, it gets erratic. Usually accurate, but suddenly it'll drop to empty.

Have a good one,
Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fixed My Gas Gauge