C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed My Gas Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:05 PM
hhntr111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similiar problem this past spring, 5/09, when I fired up for the first time. I put it away ('04, CE, 38,000 miles) last fall with a full tank, having put a bottle of Techron in first.

When I started up, the HUD read correctly, but the needle on the gauge was stuck at 3/8 full, and I knew the tank was full. I ran the tank almost empty and then put two two bottles of Techron in, filled up at BP instead of Citgo, and the gauge read right, haven't had the problem all summer.

I try to vary my gas between BP, Shell, and Citgo, this was the first problem I had.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:39 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SLPRC5
I would put my faith in Techron fixing the problem. I say that because I have had the fuel gauge problem and have cleared the DIC while driving and only result was that the "check gauges" light went out and the gauge needle staid on E.
But after adding 1 bottle of Techron to a 1/2 tank and letting the car set for a couple of days (to dilute and soak the sending unit on the driver's side) then add another bottle, then top off the tank. This has seemed to be the procedure to fix the problem. As mentioned be careful of the brand of gasoline used because of the high sulfur content in some gas cause the sending units to corrode causing the fuel gauge malfunction. My $.02

do I read this right - cleared the codes while driving?? - can you do that with the engine running? ..I've reset mine and the guage comes back up but only tried it with engine off - ignition to "on"
Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by redrckt97
do I read this right - cleared the codes while driving?? - can you do that with the engine running? ..I've reset mine and the guage comes back up but only tried it with engine off - ignition to "on"
Yes you can.

Its not recommended and GM doesnt tell you you can because if your reading DTCs, your being a DISTRACTED DRIVER.

I read my driving all the time. If the car farts wrong, I pull up the DTCs to see whats up.

Its such a common thing for me that I dont even need to look at the buttons any more.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Ttigger
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
Hey Cobra,
The only thing I've found to cure the gas gauge problem is replacing the sensors and then using top tier gas.
The passenger side sensor, I'm told is easier to replace but, neither is walk in the park. But, to get mine working right, they had to replace both in the end. I only had the gauge issue after filling up with cheaper gas a few times. Tried the techron and every other easy fix known to man with no success. Then I took it in and had the sensors replaced under warranty. It works fine now and I only use Amoco/BP and Sunoco fuels now.
You are correct. The only way to correct the problem, is by replacing the senders with the upgraded senders. They are made from different materials to prevent the corrosion issues. If someone wants to go ahead and replace them they should go to a reputable shop that only works on vettes. The dealership will rake you over the coals. Plus, a shop that works on vettes only, will be committed to solving the issues that can arise from replacing certain parts on a vette. The dealership told me that the fuel tanks would have to be removed from the vehicle to replace the senders (translation - there is another 3 hours of labor that I can get out of this guy). The shop that I ended up taking mine to, charged me for the actual time spent doing the repair (2 hours and they didn't charge me inflated dealer prices on the parts). You guys that are living with the problem or having to carry around a calculator to figure fuel usage should realize that this is not a problem that you should have to live with because you own a performance car.

I'm off the soap box now.
T
Old 04-18-2010, 04:12 AM
07c6vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
All the above sounds like the way to go: Techron and Top Tier gas. Also try not to let the vette sit too long with close to an empty tank. If I drive the vette and find that I'm close to 1/2 or less when I get home and I know I won't be driving it again for a few days, I make sure that I fill up before parking it.
this is probably what happened to my gauge, i haven't drove it for more than 1 week with less than half gas sitting in the garage...
Old 06-13-2010, 09:34 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry for digging this up from the grave.

Is it necessary to put in TECHRON PLUS if you are using Chevron gas as your top tier fuel?

I would understand adding a bottle per few fill ups on other gas, ie. shell, MOBIL, etc.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by berryj
Yep, I've been alternating Techron w/ Seafoam in my gas tank which seems to be working well. I do one or the other each oil change.

Been using only Texaco or Chevron 93 octane

BUT>

Still goes to zero when it feels like it.BIGHANK
Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After replacing the fuel sensors to the updated model years ago; I've not had a problem while using Sunoco or Amoco brand fuels without adding the Chevron techron additive.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 PM
GS1000FF
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel sensor Fix

Before replacing the fuel sender units it´s worth trying to clean them.

The passenger side is straight forward you can take out the whole device and on the driver side you only need to pull the sender out far enough to get to the spiral wound resistor which is the critical part of the sender unit.
The shop manual show you how to proceed here.

I used WD40 and cotton tops to mechanically clean the spiral wound resistor that was all black from deposits coming from the fuel.

NB the worst part of this whole excercise is to empty the tanks!!

Be carful so you don´t burn down your garage as this is very messy.

My fuel senders are now working OK again.
The following users liked this post:
RonneeB (03-25-2021)
Old 06-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cleaning the sender unit sounds interesting. Anybody made a DIY out of it? With pictures and tips how to get the job done a bit easier?

I do have the shop manuals, but allways appreciate DIY reports from boardmembers...

Thanks,

Jochen
Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I still get low fuel using Texaco or Chevrom only

Originally Posted by D C
sorry for digging this up from the grave.

Is it necessary to put in TECHRON PLUS if you are using Chevron gas as your top tier fuel?

I would understand adding a bottle per few fill ups on other gas, ie. shell, MOBIL, etc.
I had the sender replaced when this happened years ago. Was OK for about 3 years. Then while driving, sometimes on interstates at 70 MPH the guage goes to zero and the light check guages light comes on.

I have added both concentrated Techron and occasionally Seafoam about every 3 tankfuls of gas. Still goes to zero when it feels like it.

BIGHANK
RonneeB (03-25-2021)
Old 06-18-2010, 08:05 AM
thomastl
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bighank, are you putting the techron in when the tank is below 1/2 or above 1/2 full. Makes a difference. Below 1/2 and the techron will go into the drivers tank. Above 1/2 and it will go into the passenger tank. I have found that the drop to zero is due to drivers side tank getting a false reading.
Bottom line: Add bottle of techron to tank when below 1/2 full. Top off. Immediately drive home and let car set for a few days (at least overnight) if you can't let it set longer. Should solve the problem for a few months.

In the end, if you plan to keep the car for several more years, I would do the sending unit upgrade (althought you could try removing and cleaning and see how long that lasts). Techron is expensive and over time, your probably spending what it would cost to just go ahead and replace.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:46 AM
David Ret. Cpt USAF
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Disconnecting my battery fixed the gas gauge issue

Bought my 2002 Corvette with 15,156 miles back in September 2015. A couple of years ago, when I had about 20,000 miles, I started having the fuel gauge "issue" where no matter how much gas I had, the gauge registered empty. At that time, I started adding Techron every 3,000 miles and it seemed to work. A couple of weeks ago,and with 40,000 miles now, just before my "scheduled" Techron add, my gauge again started acting up. . . Full to empty right away. I added Techron, but when it was only 3/4 full of fuel. Nothing happened...no fix. I came upon another member's entry and BINGO, it worked. I disconnected the positive battery cable for 30 minutes and then reconnected the cable. I then turned the car on and the gas gauge is again working. I guess the "computer portion of the fuel sending unit" needed to be reset.
The following 2 users liked this post by David Ret. Cpt USAF:
ArmchairArchitect (06-22-2021), RonneeB (03-25-2021)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:14 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
After replacing the fuel sensors to the updated model years ago; I've not had a problem while using Sunoco or Amoco brand fuels without adding the Chevron techron additive.
Sounds like you fixed it the right way, not looking for mechanic in a can .

Has anyone done the updates in addition?

Old 03-25-2021, 06:17 PM
RonneeB
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that! If you’re able, could you point me to the forum's instructions for clearing codes in the DIC? That’d be great, thanks!
Old 03-28-2021, 04:13 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by RonneeB
Thanks for that! If you’re able, could you point me to the forum's instructions for clearing codes in the DIC? That’d be great, thanks!
Make sure that the posts you answer are timely. Most of the posts on this thread are over 10 years old. As for clearing codes, just use google: https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
RonneeB (03-28-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:08 PM
RonneeB
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replaced sending unit

I just spent almost $600. to replace the gas gauge sending unit. About 110 miles after replacement, it stopped working again…
I did the Techron (several bottles) and even tried Cataclean before having the sending unit replaced - nada.
Beautiful car, a lot of headaches…

Quick Reply: Fixed My Gas Gauge