C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:43 PM
CARRJET
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default starter mount

Has anyone heard of the starter mounting cast on the block cracking? last month i had to change the starter because of grinding and found the inboard starter housing cracked in half. I put a new palladium starter on and everything worked fine for a month untill yesterday. The starter was grinding again, I got up this morning to pull onto ramps and it grinded then nothing but spinning and no engagement to the flywheel. I looked and the mount on the outboard side is cracked in 2 places. I push started it and got it to a fellow palmetto corvette club member who has a shop and he is seeing if someone can weld it
Old 03-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I've heard of this happening w/ hydro-locked motors, but not in day-to-day use.. Obviously marginal structural strength in that area.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

that happened to me once right after a head / cam project. Have high compression and it backfired right as I was cranking it up and it broke my starter housing exactly where you mentioned. I believe the aluminum starter housing is designed to be the weak link here because otherwise you could break the block which would be far worse. Just make sure when it starts grinding you stop because you risk chewing up the teeth on your flywheel. You'll really hate life if you have to replace your flywheel.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:53 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

yep, when I hydro'd my motor last year, broke starter and block, welded block piece back on
Old 04-01-2007, 11:38 AM
ettev99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happenned to me they changed the engine under extended warranty.How can you hydro a motor, they thought i went in deep water but the car was garage???

Get notified of new replies

To starter mount

Quick Reply: starter mount