C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Shifter Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 AM
bustin knuckles
Racer

Location: Sounds like a T Rex lives under my hood. Gibsonton, Fl
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default left me stranded

Had same problem came off at shifter end "excellent engineering" removed shifter drilled an tapped nobby end of shifter 10/32 nd used 3/4" long hex aircraft bolt w/blue locktite thru hole in cable end.reistalled console. so far so good. Was also able to repair red indicator and bulb while shifter was apart DIY
The following users liked this post:
jay2751 (05-24-2016)
Old 01-11-2008, 12:05 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by boattrash9
Now the next question....Does anyone know where I could find a SHIFTER cable besides at the dealer??? I have looked around a little with no success....Any ideas would be appreciated...Thanks to all that have helped me with this bump in the road
Should be available from a supporting vendor .... GM part # 12561688 .... Gene lists it for under $70.00

Old 06-16-2009, 03:00 AM
Guro305
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking this is what happened to my car. One day I put it in park and turned the engine off. Cameback fifteen minutes later and the shifter would basically slide back and forth at will like a manual with your foot on the clutch.

Finally, it seemed like it went back "on track" and went back into park and allowed me to shift into R - N - D and I drove home. I am still driving this way till this day and am very cautious in between shifting gears. You can go from P to R and then I usually push the button on the shifter and slide it back into N but it seems like it slides up about an 1/8" and clicks into N. Same from N to D. Just imagine going through every single gear.

From D for example, I go into N by first pushing the button to get it out of D, move the shifter forward and let go until I here the click into N. Then repeat the process until I get to P. Only P and R feel nice and stiff.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 PM
boattrash9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up tearing apart my console and removed the shifter to find the cable had broken up close to the shifter. You may be able to take it apart and see where yours may have just came off the mounting bracket. Just an idea.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:23 PM
csikes
3rd Gear

Default Solution for Similar Problem

I had a similar experience this week. No indication of a problem when I parked it, but when I started it the next morning the shifter moved with very little resistance and no gear change. My shift cable was broken at the tranny linkage, rather than at the shifter. The cable was fine, but the plastic bushing that interfaces between the linkage and cable end had disintegrated. It took a few hours of searching the net, but I found one that fits. It's the only hard plastic bushing in the Dorman p/n 14041 package. I purchased mine for $6 at Advance Auto Parts, but I'm sure they're readily available. Access to this end of the cable is somewhat limited by the exhaust, and in order to get the bushing pressed into the cable end, I shaved the OD on the conical portion down a few mils with a Dremel and it snapped right in. I did the same with the ID which fits over the linkage. Provides a nice tight fit and shows no tendency to pop off. If I had to do it again, I could replace it in 3 minutes (once it's up on ramps). Hope this helps in the event that someone has the same problem.

Last edited by csikes; 06-20-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:03 PM
rtysonjr
5th Gear

Hey guys - it just happened to me this weekend! Pulled into my driveway and went into the house for less than 10 min. Got back in the car, turned the ignition and tried to shift out of Park and the shift lever had no tension at all. I removed the console and lifted the shifter just enough to see if the cable was still attached to the shift lever... and it was. That tells me that the cable has come off at the transmission or it's broken. The problem I have is that the transmission is now stuck in Park and I can't move it!!!! The local dealer said that there is a national backorder for this particular part (shift cable) and will try to locate one. Does anyone know if there is way I can get the tranny in Neutral or at least get it to roll so that I won't have to drag it onto a flatbed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM
bigleman
Pro

same thing just happened to me a couple hours ago...

its not broken at the shifter, so it must be at the trans
awesome...

looks like i'll be calling a tow truck tomorrow
Old 12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
rtysonjr
5th Gear

Hey Corvette family I need some advice!! I posted back on 9/09 about my Shifter cable problem. Since then I've been in the hunt for the illusive replacement GM part #12561688 and I finally got one. The dealer here in Jacksonville, FL wants $350 labor to install it. When the cable broke it was in park and It's been stuck in my driveway ever since because I can't move it to the garage. I'm planning on doing the replacement myself but I'd like to know is there any way to release the transmission out of park so that I can move it? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for looking :-)!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Jack up the rear end and put dollies under the wheels. You should be able to get them at a tool rental center.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:40 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by rtysonjr
Hey Corvette family I need some advice!! I posted back on 9/09 about my Shifter cable problem. Since then I've been in the hunt for the illusive replacement GM part #12561688 and I finally got one. The dealer here in Jacksonville, FL wants $350 labor to install it. When the cable broke it was in park and It's been stuck in my driveway ever since because I can't move it to the garage. I'm planning on doing the replacement myself but I'd like to know is there any way to release the transmission out of park so that I can move it? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for looking :-)!
This just happened to my daughter's '99 last night at the Town Center mall. I grabbed my floor jack and jackstand and met her up there to swap cars. I set the emergency brake, jacked up the car, set it on the jackstand, and grabbed the linkage coming out of the transmission with my hand and shifted it to drive. I let it back down, started the car and drove it the 15 miles back to my house while she drove mine to her apartment...took me all of 5 minutes start to end including getting the floor jack out and back in its carrying case. The dolly idea would work but it sure does seem like a lot more of trouble. Nothing says the transmission has to be shifted from the shifter or you can't start the engine with the transmission in gear...sometimes you have to think outside of the box.

Have you already replaced the cable? If not, when are you thinking about it? I live in Neptune Beach and have the shop manuals for it with pictures and the detailed procedure (posted earlier) if you need some help.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by csikes
I had a similar experience this week. No indication of a problem when I parked it, but when I started it the next morning the shifter moved with very little resistance and no gear change. My shift cable was broken at the tranny linkage, rather than at the shifter. The cable was fine, but the plastic bushing that interfaces between the linkage and cable end had disintegrated. It took a few hours of searching the net, but I found one that fits. It's the only hard plastic bushing in the Dorman p/n 14041 package. I purchased mine for $6 at Advance Auto Parts, but I'm sure they're readily available. Access to this end of the cable is somewhat limited by the exhaust, and in order to get the bushing pressed into the cable end, I shaved the OD on the conical portion down a few mils with a Dremel and it snapped right in. I did the same with the ID which fits over the linkage. Provides a nice tight fit and shows no tendency to pop off. If I had to do it again, I could replace it in 3 minutes (once it's up on ramps). Hope this helps in the event that someone has the same problem.
Well the weather finally broke enough today and we made it into the low 50's so I gave your advice a shot...worked perfectly!!!

I bought the bushing set you recommended and was able to find one in the set of five that was a perfect fit in the cable end. It "snapped" in place on the ball stud of the linkage with a little grease and some judicious application of leverage, no shaving required in my case. Like you, I could do it again in 3 minutes once on a jack stand...too easy! For anybody considering a similar repair, it's a helluva lot easier than replacing the whole cable. Wish I had taken pictures...

Thanks again csikes, this forum is the greatest!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 PM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would love to see a picture of this part and how it fits on the linkage.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
tspero
Advanced

My 2010 coupe with the A6 transmission just had the same failure (with only 900 miles on the odometer). I tried to put the transmission into park and it wouldn't engage, I could only select drive / neutral / or Reverse. Took it to the dealer and they told me the cable snapped. I won't have the Vette back until Monday
Old 01-08-2010, 08:05 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TooMch
I would love to see a picture of this part and how it fits on the linkage.
If we get some decent temps tomorrow, I'll jack the car up and take pictures of the installation as well as one of the other bushings in the package that's similar to the one I used. They're predicting snow though...in Florida!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this just an automatic transmission thing or can it happen to a 6M as well?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Auto only!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Kontra06
Racer

FANG here...

Edited.

Last edited by Kontra06; 06-01-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Wrong section

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Shifter Failure

Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kontra06
FANG here...

Came outta the auto parts store last Friday evening. Started the car
and the shift to reverse was a bit stiff but it shifted and dropped into drive for the trip home. When I got home I couldn't shift to Park!
Did a quickie console removal and all looked 'normal'. Drove it to the dealer and their finding is the shifter assembly had broken. Said the cable to the trans was fine.

Anyone had a auto transmission shifter assembly "break"?

Itsa Machine Silver 2005 Coupe
Perhaps it's common to the C6...might have better luck in that forum.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Kontra06
Racer

Rats! Duly noted! Can you point me in the direction of the C6 boys?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kontra06
Rats! Duly noted! Can you point me in the direction of the C6 boys?
Upper right hand corner of this page.....select "C6" from the dropdown menu.

Quick Reply: Automatic Shifter Failure