C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing my 6-speed manual to an automatic transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 09:05 PM
pineskier
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing my 6-speed manual to an automatic transmission???

Hello, I hope somebody here can help me out here. I bought a brand new Corvette with a 6-speed manual transmission in 1995. I was paralyzed just a couple months later. I can drive a car using hand controls but only if it has an automatic transmission. My vette is virtually brand new and has sat in my garage for 6 years so trading mine for one with an automatic is not an option. My question is; can my transmission be changed to an automatic without too much modification or cost? What are the modifications and approximate cost? I live near Sacramento California and would consider traveling a modest distance to have the work done if you know anyone in this area that could do the work??? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Tim Torgerson
Old 11-23-2001, 09:40 PM
DraftMe
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Changing my 6-speed manual to an automatic transmission??? (pineskier)

Honestly, it would be more expensive to switch yours over than to just bite the bullet and trade it in. :sad:
Old 11-23-2001, 09:46 PM
DynoDon
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Changing my 6-speed manual to an automatic transmission??? (pineskier)

Hi Tim, just wondering why selling your 95 M/6 isn't an option. I'd think a super low mileage C4 would bring a good price. Check out the C4 Forum for ideas about changing over to an A/4.. although (IMO) I wouldn't alter such a nice low mileage 95
Old 11-24-2001, 04:40 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Changing my 6-speed manual to an automatic transmission??? (DynoDon)

If it was an 96 LT4, I would say do the auto (something different).

However, I think you could probably sell your low mile C4 to the right person and upgrade to a C5 A4. :cheers:
Old 11-24-2001, 05:24 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Changing my 6-speed manual to an automatic transmission??? (DynoDon)

I agree with J-C-5, its just to costly and troublesmome to convert it.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:22 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Tim,

I will take a different view on this one. The car you have, if you are like me, probably has some sentimental value and I am assuming this is why you want to keep it.

The auto and stick C4 have different rears, drive shafts and support beams. This should all work with the auto. Only change here should be the yoke on the front of the drive shaft. You obviously have an extra pedal in the passenger compartment, but that should be workable. The computer will be different. Not sure if the stick radiator has the cooling for the auto, if not you will need a new radiator. Motor flywheel will need changing along with bellhousing and of course the tranny.

I know someone who writes for the various Corvette magazines and lives in the southern California area. However, he is very well connected. If you like, I will contact him about your problem and see if he can suggest someone to do the work or get an estimate. I know he will only suggest someone that he feels will do a quality job.

Old 11-24-2001, 12:30 PM
zoneblock
Burning Brakes

I think the easiest way would be to remove the engine and drive train, and drop in one set up for an automatic. However, there may be a "work around", have you looked into the concept of a hand controlled clutch? I don't know if this exists, but would be an interesting project. :seeya
Old 11-24-2001, 01:04 PM
STAGED
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default conversion

Just go to a junkyard and get yourself a complete '95 motor ready mated to an automatic, drivetrain, pcm, console, shifter, chassis supports, and wiring harness. Complete, it should not cost more than $2000. You can sell you low mileage 6-speed-LT1 motor/rear/wiring harness/etc... piecemeal for a lot more than $2000! The hassle is doing the little things like going to the parts shop for a $1 fastener that you need and discovered wasn't avail when you piecing things together.

The other option which is exotic, costly, and trick is there is a place out there I heard that is developing a sequential T-56. Now who knows, there may be somebody developing a sequential transmission for your ZF 6-speed. This may seem far-fetched but it's worth a look anyways.

Either way, both options would be involved.
The following users liked this post:
gerardharings (05-16-2019)
Old 11-24-2001, 03:00 PM
pineskier
5th Gear

Default Re: Changing my 6-speed manual to an automatic transmission??? (vettenuts)

Bob...I figured out how to reply. Yes, if you could contact the person in Southern Cal I would appreciate that...Thanks Tim Torgerson
Old 11-24-2001, 06:17 PM
RHILL
Le Mans Master

I don't want to be a stick in the mud. But it's going to cost you 2 - 5K up for used parts, plus the cost of rebuilding them, and the finished vette is going to be a non original modified 1995 vette with a very low resale value. What you have now is a very rare all Original 1995 C4 with very low miles and should bring top dollar :cheers: :cheers:

Like J-C-5 said
"Honestly, it would be more expensive to switch yours over than to just bite the bullet and trade it in."

No matter what way you go best of luck.

RAY
Old 05-16-2019, 01:15 PM
gerardharings
5th Gear

...keep the 6 speed and buy a auto.....if you have childeren...keep the 6 speed for them....just my humble thoughts...
Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

17 years and 7 months.......

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 05-16-2019 at 01:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLS_Addict:
Leftlane_1 (05-17-2019), VFR RC46 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 PM
gerardharings
5th Gear

....euh....oeps.....sorry.....i am not a hero wiht...the pc....may i ask what you did after all....put an auto in it...
Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

He hasn't been on since 2001.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:11 PM
kalayaan12
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Why is this in C5 Tech?

Should be C4 Tech

Get notified of new replies

To Changing my 6-speed manual to an automatic transmission???

Quick Reply: Changing my 6-speed manual to an automatic transmission???