C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 and memory seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Default C5 and memory seat

Hi guys, coming from the C6-ZO6 camp and an ex-C5 Vert Owner.
My colleague at work have a 2004-C5, no codes are set (history or current), the memory is not holding the seat/radio/and side view mirror positions, and seat/steering is not going back when you open the door to exit, what could be the problem, any help/suggestions are appreciated ?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 AM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GM electronics are finicky. Start with a test on the battery.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
Hi guys, coming from the C6-ZO6 camp and an ex-C5 Vert Owner.
My colleague at work have a 2004-C5, no codes are set (history or current), the memory is not holding the seat/radio/and side view mirror positions, and seat/steering is not going back when you open the door to exit, what could be the problem, any help/suggestions are appreciated ?
Thanks
I've read a lot on this, it could have something to do with the grounds being corroded. If you do a search for seat or memory, you should find a thread about grounding points that need to be cleaned.

I haven't done tried that. I still have this problem. I have possessed side view mirros that hardly ever returns to where I set it. It'll come close, but never spot on. Once in a blue moon it will. Sometimes my seat will go back and sometimes it won't too. I just deal with it. It's f'n aggravating!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Battery!!! If its low or going bad, it will cause a LOSS OF MEMORY. Happens when you crank the engine! Battery voltage drops below 9 VDC for just a millisecond or so and thats all it takes! Once the engine starts the battery voltage returns back to normal and what you will normally see are U series DTC's or a loss of memory and sometimes loss of FOB sync.

Been there done that!

Bill C
Old 01-08-2008, 09:19 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Battery!!! If its low or going bad, it will cause a LOSS OF MEMORY. Happens when you crank the engine! Battery voltage drops below 9 VDC for just a millisecond or so and thats all it takes! Once the engine starts the battery voltage returns back to normal and what you will normally see are U series DTC's or a loss of memory and sometimes loss of FOB sync.

Been there done that!

Bill C
I have switched out my battery with no change and memory not working. My current battery is also a new unit. Still having problems.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
I have switched out my battery with no change and memory not working. My current battery is also a new unit. Still having problems.
Bad seat control module.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Just changed the battery to an Optima red top, still no memory and no codes, excpet for chk engine light on, (went off after turning and starting the car 3 times), module was changed at the dealer 2 months ago when codes were set. Very frustrating. I am going to check the ground resistance values at different ground lugs to chasis points and correct if I need to by removing the lugs scraping the paint underneath and re-instaling the the ground lugs.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vetteship
Just changed the battery to an Optima red top, still no memory and no codes, excpet for chk engine light on, (went off after turning and starting the car 3 times), module was changed at the dealer 2 months ago when codes were set. Very frustrating. I am going to check the ground resistance values at different ground lugs to chasis points and correct if I need to by removing the lugs scraping the paint underneath and re-instaling the the ground lugs.
C5 Ground connections are a LOT more complicated that just removing the nut and cleaning the TAB!

Here is where the REAL problem often lies!!!

Remove the connector!

Find the small plastic latches on BOTH sides of the connector:

Release the catches, and pull on the tab for both latches one at a time. Once the end is pulled out, this is what you will see. Mine was GREEN with corrosion! :

Here is the female side of the connector:

Clean the connectors, the ground tab and the ground stud on the chassis.

Bill
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Thanks bill, thanks for posting and for your help, my weekend just got busy, where is the location of the ground connector

Last edited by vetteship; 01-09-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:26 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Default Update

Guys, I feel so stupid (and so does my neighbor), after locating the ground wire and upstream connector, we cleaned it pretty darn well, yes it was dirty, but not any more, put everything back and the memory nusense problem persisted. Still NO CODES..., now here'e where the stupid part comes in:
As I was looking at the key fob, I noticed it was key FOB 2, so I asked, where is FOB 1 ?
Oh, the battery is dead so I've been using FOB 2 and that's when the memory trouble started , All sorted out now, installed a new battery in FOB 1 and I was able to explain the difference between the two
Old 01-21-2008, 12:36 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...no reason to feel stupid. It's not as if it hasn't happened to others before...they just weren't men enough to admit it!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:53 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
...no reason to feel stupid. It's not as if it hasn't happened to others before...they just weren't men enough to admit it!
Maybe someone can help on this. My 99 C5 seat memory works and the seat will go forward and steering wheel adjust. ON exit the I hear the click and steering wheel moves to exit position but seat does not move. I can move it with the manual power switch. I suspect a relay has failed but is it in the seat control module under the seat or somewhere else? Any help here is appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 and memory seat

Quick Reply: C5 and memory seat