C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug boot backing off

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Spark plug boot backing off

This is sort of a spin off from another thread. My car was bucking and a member categorically stated the problem was a loose plug wire and he was exactly right.

The #5 wire was barely lying on the plug and pulled loose with barely any effort. I asked about some way to get more leverage on the #5 plug boot to be sure it was seated.

In searching on Tech forum, I found that several others have had similar problems with plug wires coming loose and it was the #5 plug wire for them as well.

Is there something about this plug that makes it harder to seat the wire? It for sure is restricted in getting pressure on the boot, but I don't think it's any worse and may not be as hard to get to as #7.

Any ideas on how to be SURE the plug boot is seated fully?

Charlie
Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are a number of reasons that the boot will not stay on the plug:

1. There is trapped air in the boot that expands and causes the boot to pop off. Try wiggling the boot on the plug.

2. The metal connector inside the boot is pushed too up inside the boot and does not CLIP on to the metal part of the spark plug. OR the metal connector inside the boot has lost all of its tension and does not make proper connection on the plug.

3. ALL of the above!!!

You can spray some WD-40 on the area between the boot and the wire and work the wire into the boot to get the metal connection back down where it will snap on the spark plug.

If the metal connector wont physically SNAP onto the plug, its bad. Look in the boot and see if it is corroded, deformed, bent ect...

BC
Old 01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There are a number of reasons that the boot will not stay on the plug:

1. There is trapped air in the boot that expands and causes the boot to pop off. Try wiggling the boot on the plug.

2. The metal connector inside the boot is pushed too up inside the boot and does not CLIP on to the metal part of the spark plug. OR the metal connector inside the boot has lost all of its tension and does not make proper connection on the plug.

3. ALL of the above!!!

You can spray some WD-40 on the area between the boot and the wire and work the wire into the boot to get the metal connection back down where it will snap on the spark plug.

If the metal connector wont physically SNAP onto the plug, its bad. Look in the boot and see if it is corroded, deformed, bent ect...

BC
The plug wires are new but if I managed to get the tip of the clip on top of the plug and pushed hard it may have been enough to push the clip up into the boot and prevent solid hookup. I'll take a look. Thanks for the tips.

Charlie
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

A way to get the air out of the boot is to insert a small zip tie, between the boot and the wire, and then after you have the boot on the plug, as far as it will go, pull up and out on the zip tie, and remove it and all the trapped air as well. Then you can try to push the boot on further, if possible.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

You should hear a distinct "snap" or "click" as the wire seats correctly onto the spark plug. Also, a lot of people don't realize, the other end of the wire, where it mates to the coil, should be pushed on so that you hear TWO clicks or snaps.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:48 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jovette
A way to get the air out of the boot is to insert a small zip tie, between the boot and the wire, and then after you have the boot on the plug, as far as it will go, pull up and out on the zip tie, and remove it and all the trapped air as well. Then you can try to push the boot on further, if possible.
I'll give this a try as I am **** enough to suspect it is STILL not securely seated.

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
You should hear a distinct "snap" or "click" as the wire seats correctly onto the spark plug. Also, a lot of people don't realize, the other end of the wire, where it mates to the coil, should be pushed on so that you hear TWO clicks or snaps.

Knew about the two clicks on the coils, thought the plugs were down solid, feeling smug about knowing the "tricks" and the car had run great for a week. It just took time for the boot to back off I guess.

Thanks for the tips.

Charlie
Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 PM
pimsleur
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BlackZ06

The big question is, does BlackZ06 have his Vette running? Gives out great advise, no doubt about that... But is it running..

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug boot backing off

Quick Reply: Spark plug boot backing off