C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:47 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam install question

I cant get the airbox out. The release latches have 1/2 in wire bands that wrap around to the bottom and prevent me from pulling it out. How do you get these off?

The instructions from cajundude jump directly to the 10mm bolts in the bottom, but I can't get to them without pulling the airbox out.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Here is a pic showing the airbox completely loose but the wirestrip in the red box prevents me from pulling it out.

I read other posts stating there are supposed to be some rubber grommets at the bottom of the airbox that I need to stick my hand down to remove. This second pic show the airbox is completely free, no grommets holding it in. Only those wire bands.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:17 PM
BowTieRocket
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi. Can't make much out in your photos. I assume you're talking about the straps that hold the element and its holder in place.

On my car, we pulled the filter element and carrier, which lets the half of the housing closest to the radiator float a little. I was able to wiggle out and down a little. They clip on the housing part that's not bolted down. Pulled them loose, and was able to remove them.

I also found that the housing will just pop off - the bolts hold rubber grommets that snap firmly into the housing. Not difficult, either way. But I had the same questions when doing mine. Push the straps down and the radiator half of the housing forward to get to the place where they connect.

Just traded my coupe for a convertible, and don't have the Vararam on it, so the original housing is back on the coupe and gone. Maybe someone has one they can take a photo of and post it.

All the best!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
buoniconti81
Instructor

mine came off with the intake tunnel... It's a vette what do you expect..:

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam install question

Quick Reply: Vararam install question