C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning compressor replacement write-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:57 AM
James2000
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious, does anybody here think that maybe my problem is a tensioner pully bearing? The noise only happens when AC is turned on, but the AC works like new. I just hate to replace everything and the problem not be the compressor. My car has 112,000 and like I said AC works like new. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:29 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Well documented. My compressor is mechanically fine but it leaks where the 2 halves join. I need to quit being lazy and remove it to see if I can seal it up without replacing it.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:06 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by James2000
Just curious, does anybody here think that maybe my problem is a tensioner pully bearing? The noise only happens when AC is turned on, but the AC works like new. I just hate to replace everything and the problem not be the compressor. My car has 112,000 and like I said AC works like new. Thanks.
Remove your ac belt and check the tensioner pulley make sure it spins freely and doesn't have any play. If the tensioner checks good remove the ac clutch and check that bearing. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by old stingray
Remove your ac belt and check the tensioner pulley make sure it spins freely and doesn't have any play. If the tensioner checks good remove the ac clutch and check that bearing. Good luck.
My thoughts exactly!

BC
Old 08-20-2016, 12:10 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by James2000
EXCELLENT WRITE UP!!! My AC is making a tapping/clicking whining sound that increases as I hit the gas. AC blows ice cold, but I'm assuming not for long. Your write up, is my Chiltons manual. Haha..... Thank u for taking the guess work out of this project. Now if you could only take the sweat work out of it....... LOL.......
when our A/c starts making alotta racket i hit the A/c clutch with a high pressure water hose. A/c clutch is 17 years old, 160,000+ miles!

works great!

that thing sits under the engine right above the road and sucks all kinds of junk in it!
Old 08-20-2016, 05:16 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
when our A/c starts making alotta racket i hit the A/c clutch with a high pressure water hose. A/c clutch is 17 years old, 160,000+ miles!

works great!

that thing sits under the engine right above the road and sucks all kinds of junk in it!
It is amazing what that magnet will hold isn't it.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:45 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by old stingray
Is there a way to check the bearing without removing the clutch?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:34 PM
James2000
Instructor

Going to replace my AC compressor and drier tank. Where can I get the inline screen that goes in the compressor. I have looked all over the internet and can't find one. I even went to auto parts store and they where clueless. Please help, thanks!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:03 PM
James2000
Instructor

I pretty much followed your write up, it worked great! 1 thing if u have an air ratchet use it for the AC lines on the back of the compressor, that was the only part that slowed me down. I couldn't find my air ratchet until it was time to put the line back on and man what a difference. 1 more thing, I didn't realize how long a can of freon takes to empty. Don't do what you see some doing on YouTube, keep the can upright, it may take about a half hour per can, but it's the right way. It took a little over an hour to fill, but I am getting 42 degrees out of my vents and am very pleased! Thanks for the write up! Correction AC on low I got the temp in the vents to drop down to 36 degrees and its 80 degrees out.

Last edited by James2000; 09-05-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to do a referb on my 99s A/C, but I can not get RoccoC5's write up and pics to pull up, all I get is a blank page. Is it just my computer? If not can anyone that has it repost it or email it to me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-10-2018, 10:39 AM
DKZC5
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the same if I use IE. You can use Firefox and use a patch, to get around the Photobucket issue. Let me know if you need more info. It’s in the general forum, or a google search for photobucket and forums, or something like that.

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan M.
I need to do a referb on my 99s A/C, but I can not get RoccoC5's write up and pics to pull up, all I get is a blank page. Is it just my computer? If not can anyone that has it repost it or email it to me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 08:49 PM
aceinthesky
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello everyone, I just bought a z06 in which at first the ac blew cold but seemed low to me. The following day of ownership I get a squealing noise coming from engine bay and smoke that smelled like burnt rubber. I turned off the vehicle and then turned it back on and noise was gone, until i turned on the ac and then noise came back. I keeped the ac off and then turned it on again and no more noise, but now the ac seems to be not blowing very cold. I told the previous owner about it and he said he never had problems with ac before. It seems like something seized for a while and the belt was slipping on a pulley. Well i'm going to attempt to fix it using this thread, because I want to do it right, take my time, and make sure it lasts for years. I found this combo from smc parts, its gm original but i'm worried that its a part that's been on the shelf's for years and might fail shortly after install, what do you guys think? I rather go with delphi unit but was considering ac delco because that might be a newer unit.

Also for the screen filter that rooco used on the guide what is the part number on that, I went to the compressor guard website and they had a bunch of different ones.

Other then that the car is a blast to drive but i need ac in Houston, TX. Hopefully this project turns out good since now i have to buy ac gauges and pump.

Last edited by aceinthesky; 10-08-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:49 PM
Easygoing
Instructor

I am getting ready to do this job and saw a youtube video where it was suggesting that instead of removing the water pump you can loosen the engine mounting bolt on that side of the engine and raise the engine about an inch to gain the necessary clearance for the compressor removal. Has anyone tried this short cut? thanks
Old 12-20-2018, 01:25 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey guys, about to do this myself. Can you tell me what the reason for adding the additional 4oz. of PAG oil through the schrader valve is? Why can't you just add it to the system while open like the other oil you add? Or just put in 9oz. in knowing that is what SHOULD be in the system?

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-03-2019, 06:33 PM
bigthaw
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

my ac started scraping loud when AC off...turn it on, no scraping, I was going to fix it myself but my old man back cant take it.painkillers everyday.good mech is doing it for 800 total, new gm part not reman.AC clutch is gone, He says shaft bearing goes...oh well...hey I figure at least I can install the metal gears my flip headlights need....luv ma C5
Old 05-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Tackled this job yesterday. Not an impossible job but I am methodical (slow) so it took most of my day. I replaced the original 60K water pump and thermostat while I had them off. I was pulling a vacuum by 5 pm and ran it for about 3 hours. Left it overnight to be sure everything was sealed. Charged it up this morning and all is good. 42 degrees from vent.
Tips: Get a 4 way manifold...it costs a little more but is the proper and easier way to do it. Test and check your gauges/manifold to be sure they are leak free. I resealed the high/low valves and gauges with teflon to make sure they were good. Use a chart that includes humidity when determining proper pressures to avoid overcharging. Take your time and pay attention when charging, wear gloves and glasses.
The following users liked this post:
JWM (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:36 AM
tungstenfoot
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Beer:30
Tackled this job yesterday. Not an impossible job but I am methodical (slow) so it took most of my day. I replaced the original 60K water pump and thermostat while I had them off. I was pulling a vacuum by 5 pm and ran it for about 3 hours. Left it overnight to be sure everything was sealed. Charged it up this morning and all is good. 42 degrees from vent.
Tips: Get a 4 way manifold...it costs a little more but is the proper and easier way to do it. Test and check your gauges/manifold to be sure they are leak free. I resealed the high/low valves and gauges with teflon to make sure they were good. Use a chart that includes humidity when determining proper pressures to avoid overcharging. Take your time and pay attention when charging, wear gloves and glasses.
Is there a kit or link you would recommend? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Air conditioning compressor replacement write-up

Old 09-07-2019, 10:45 PM
BackinBlack00
Cruising

I replaced mine, replaced all except the lines, but I have a leak, I think its a the compressor. What is the correct torque spec for the 13mm bolt that holds the lines to the back of the compressor? I found it easier to get to that bolt from the bottom with some extensions.

thanks.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:32 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by BackinBlack00
I replaced mine, replaced all except the lines, but I have a leak, I think its a the compressor. What is the correct torque spec for the 13mm bolt that holds the lines to the back of the compressor? I found it easier to get to that bolt from the bottom with some extensions.

thanks.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:31 PM
BackinBlack00
Cruising

Sorry for the late reply, thank you for the info, that helped.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning compressor replacement write-up