C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you put in a hotcam if you aready owned it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Rex99Coupe
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aren't you meaning the ASA cam? The Hot Cam is a bit milder and is for the street where the ASA cam is for racing.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
californiakid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, the ASA cam was developed for road racing, but I remember somewhere that the GM hotcam when it was developed it was for racing in either the Corvette Challenge or something like that...to mnay moons ago to remember. Either way, can't go wrong with a factory developed high performance cam. I loved every minute of it.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:26 PM
7thson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by californiakid
I had the GM Hot Cam in my 01 z06 and I can tell you that on the autobahn shifting gears at or near redline my car always lurched ahead with each shift. This cam is a major power increase over both an 01 and 02 Z06 cam. It has a nice lope and is borderline stock computer tune compatible. I would suggest getting a tune though. I ended going to Switzerland (I live in Germany) to get a guy to do a dyno tune, we got about 510HP, that was with the tune, headers, straight pipes into stock Ti mufflers and Katech heads. That motor combination has gone the wayside, spun a bearing. Upgraded engine to an 04 Z06 motor with stock tune and stock heads for now, and some high flow cats from random tech and a new cam and blower are calling.

Here is a story about the GM hot Cam combo I had before:
I once ran into a RUK Porsche, circa 500+HP (NO, NOT RUF), and he was cruising in the right lane when we were coming back from some road racing at Bitburg, Germany, he saw me and sped up. The weekend before I was racing at Hockenheim at the Vette/Viper shootout and still had my number on the car. His car is in front of me and I saw him shift and shoot flames out the exhaust, actually close to my now near hood. When I shifted into 5th at about 145-150mph or so, my car lurched ahead and starting reeling this guy in with his big wing and big tires and loud exhaust and big flame throwers, his passenger was looking at my car and the driver was tight fisted around his steering wheel when I forced him over, the next thing he saw at about 160MPH was number 32passing him by. I was able to use the full force of the power combination and hitting 185MPH was very easy with the last tune I had, redline was set at 7000rpm. The GM Hot cam will run out of steam at about 6600RPM so accelerating much faster after 180 was slower, but getting there, I was untouchable. The springs will thank you also if want to road race with your car and stay NA, this is a great cam. It was developed for as a mild road race cam I believe.
Good luck,
Californiakid
Thanks for the input. You have just made my decision a little harder. I am really curious about what my car would feel like with this cam installed. I may have to try it for curiosities sake.

Last edited by 7thson; 05-12-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Novakain1970
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7thson
Thanks for the input. You have just made my decision a little harder. I am really curious about what my car would feel like with this cam installed. I may have to try it for curiosities sake.
ever end up installing the cam?

Quick Reply: Would you put in a hotcam if you aready owned it?